stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1860's Civil War Maps and Home Sites

After getting into metal detecting a couple years ago I soon got into looking at old maps of Virginia. I have a cheap metal detector so the maps haven't done me much good. So basically I would like to help out here with my research and ability. If you have a location in Virginia that you have permission to hunt I would be happy to give you a set of pics for your area. One would be an 1860's map and the other would be a current google map of your location. Keep in mind that not all counties I have found. And also I've learned in some areas, the older map is off by a little and sometimes a lot yet in some places exact. It takes a little digital playing around with to get everything to match up sometimes. I then can overlay the maps so you can really get a good idea of what was there over 100 years ago.

I've done this several times for friends with fairly decent results.The Civil War maps that I have access to are a little more detailed then the links I've seen here but are still in the general areas of already known CW sites. Keep in mind I won't be posting any maps or links here and I won't do an entire county. This is for specific areas only. Playing with these maps are fun for me and has almost turned into a hobby of its own. In any case, if you would like to check this out shoot me a pm. If everything goes well, all I ask in return is to see pics of your finds in the location/locations I've pinpointed. Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

Edit: I have gotten several requests for entire counties. I'm not going to do that. I think it would invite people to run all over the place digging without permission. I don't want any part of that. If you have an area, say a field or plot of land or maybe a location you would like to know a little about before you ask permission, then I can try and help. Thanks

Last edited:

kw4outdoors

Jan 11, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
whites m6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 1860's Civil War Maps and Home Sites

Virginia here, have permission to hunt sussex county around Littleton which is west of Wakefield. Would love to have some maps of this location.

Keith

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Keith, I see the general area of where your talking about but I need a more specific area like an intersection nearest to the location your talking about. I have an 1865 map of the area but it shows 3 counties together, I actually deer hunt and metal detect north of Wakefield so maybe in the future we can get a hunt in. PM me some street names and I'll see what I can find with this map.

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

wow, I can't believe after 70 some views I've only gotten 2 hits. Maybe some are paranoid and think I may be fishing for locations? Who knows. Any how. If you didn't know already, a good source for maps is the Library of Congress website. It may be a little tricky to navigate and find what your looking for but they have a ton of civil war era maps. If anyone still would like my help to pinpoint locations let me know.

1shineon

Apr 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I live on an old school house lot from the 1860's would like to know if you have any map info of this area on colvin road in Amissville,Va 20106

pmetal

Feb 4, 2013
Stafford, VA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow, I can't believe after 70 some views I've only gotten 2 hits. Maybe some are paranoid and think I may be fishing for locations? Who knows. Any how. If you didn't know already, a good source for maps is the Library of Congress website. It may be a little tricky to navigate and find what your looking for but they have a ton of civil war era maps. If anyone still would like my help to pinpoint locations let me know.

Howdy,

In Stafford County, VA. Route 630 (Courthouse Road), between Aquia Creek Rd and Paynes Lane.

Also wouldn't mind seeing info on Paynes Lane itself as I have just been given permission to go down that road as well.

Thanks, man!!!

Erick Byrne

Tenderfoot
Feb 17, 2013
Warren County, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Bounty Hunter - Lone Star
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

If you are still interested in offering a little bit of help....
I recently purchased 10 acres at the SE corner of VA Route 55 (between Strasburg & Front Royal) and VA Route 678 (Fort Valley Road). I have heard that Civil War Troops have camped and /or pasted thru the area. My land has several very old trails that look too small to be logging trails, and there is plenty of evidence that people have been all around the area. I got my first MD for Christmas in 2012, so my MDing has been limited so far (too cold!!) Thanks for your response. [email protected]

KFerguson

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
Yes would love some help new to the world of (div) i have some land in glen allen va about 4 miles of Ashland va off rocky ridge rd. If you could help with some maps that would be great thanks.

robgwv

Feb 17, 2013
west virginia
Detector(s) used
fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a good one for you, Do you have anything on troop movements or camps in current Mason county W.V. think it was Vidaillia? county Va. I live on current usgs map Arbuckle District, Also area had some colonial/indian fighting..Lord Dunmores War(point Pleastant)

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
where can i find old maps of my area i live in west virginia on sewell mountain next to lee's tree

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap!!!!! I abandoned this after it seemed like there was no interest and then the site changed its layout and I never looked back until I ran across an email message from here. Now that I see that has changed I'll start going down the list ( I have some pm's as well so please be patient). This going to be fun. Keep in mind it can take several hours before I come up with the final results. Those guys didn't have gps back in the day or this would be so much simpler. I want to see results so I'll be getting back to each and everyone of you. Thanks for the replies!

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where can i find old maps of my area i live in west virginia on sewell mountain next to lee's tree

Thats awesome, I used to cross that mountain as a child all the time on the way to my grandparents in sugar creek north of anstead. We called it Sewer Mountain though cause it seemed like someone in the car would throw up going over that hill lol. I haven't looked at much in the way of maps in that area but if I come across anything I'll let you know.

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a good one for you, Do you have anything on troop movements or camps in current Mason county W.V. think it was Vidaillia? county Va. I live on current usgs map Arbuckle District, Also area had some colonial/indian fighting..Lord Dunmores War(point Pleastant)

I found a mid 1800's map of the area but with nothing more of the outlines of counties and RR's. The south side of Ripley Rd looks interesting. I'll let you know if I run across anything else.

tims1chap

Feb 6, 2013
Winchester, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live up on the east side of Winchester if you have anything it is appreciated. tks

caselhall

Feb 12, 2013
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250 W/DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey i live in the Woodbridge area can you hook me up with something good?

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have anything that covers Virginia Beach/Hampton Roads/Eastern Shore areas?

OP
OP
stringplucker

stringplucker

May 22, 2010
virginia beach
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much out in the public in the way of maps around virginia beach. Might want to check the court houses. The ones I've seen for norfolk ptown chesapeake area are so changed and developed over. The maps get better once you get to suffolk surry area.

Aus3

Mar 29, 2013
swva, VA
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After getting into metal detecting a couple years ago I soon got into looking at old maps of Virginia. I have a cheap metal detector so the maps haven't done me much good. So basically I would like to help out here with my research and ability. If you have a location in Virginia that you have permission to hunt I would be happy to give you a set of pics for your area. One would be an 1860's map and the other would be a current google map of your location. Keep in mind that not all counties I have found. And also I've learned in some areas, the older map is off by a little and sometimes a lot yet in some places exact. It takes a little digital playing around with to get everything to match up sometimes. I then can overlay the maps so you can really get a good idea of what was there over 100 years ago.

I've done this several times for friends with fairly decent results.The Civil War maps that I have access to are a little more detailed then the links I've seen here but are still in the general areas of already known CW sites. Keep in mind I won't be posting any maps or links here and I won't do an entire county. This is for specific areas only. Playing with these maps are fun for me and has almost turned into a hobby of its own. In any case, if you would like to check this out shoot me a pm. If everything goes well, all I ask in return is to see pics of your finds in the location/locations I've pinpointed. Thanks for reading and happy hunting!

Edit: I have gotten several requests for entire counties. I'm not going to do that. I think it would invite people to run all over the place digging without permission. I don't want any part of that. If you have an area, say a field or plot of land or maybe a location you would like to know a little about before you ask permission, then I can try and help. Thanks
hello there, do you have a set for smyth county?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread