sarawisman

Feb 25, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 Limited
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently went to the Hanover Clerk's office and on the GIS system, it will show plots of land that are county owned. I've heard you can search those but I'm not 100% sure about that. Not sure if that helps or not.

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently went to the Hanover Clerk's office and on the GIS system, it will show plots of land that are county owned. I've heard you can search those but I'm not 100% sure about that. Not sure if that helps or not.

still need some help cant find poop :laughing7: for ashland and hanover that could help me find a free nice spot to go. if anyone knows anyone would love to join them for a hunt only been doing this for a month thanks

Kevin

I am local as well, if you find something and are looking for company, let me know

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
K

KFerguson

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013

Thanks well ride down there tomorrow ill post if i find any good news

OP
OP
K

KFerguson

Greenie
Jan 23, 2013
How did you guys do?

Hanover has the gis on line but yeah lol i don't understand it if i select historical sites it turns blue but doesn't tell me why its historical? ??? Like theres a little strip that turns blue in my back yard??? If anyone understands it please let me kmow thanks

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Instead of using the GIS, take a look at the deed books. Start by looking up the deed to your house when you bought it. It will reference the previous deed and the book/page it can be found in. Most of the time these will be cross referenced in the Plat books. Depending on the the record it will take you back at least until the late 1800s and you might be able to figure out the historical significance.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are tons of books and maps on Hanover to that cover colonial and Civil war periods. For early colonial period concentrate on farms along the rivers like the Pamunkey. Print or copy your research along with copies of old maps of the site you want permission for then approach the property owner with. Be upfront about what you want to do and let them know your interested in the history. Your success rate will be high as far as permission goes and the rest is up to you. Good luck... I've done quite well in Hanover.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread