Augusta and Rockbridge county maps of Virginia

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I don't think they have that old of mass but just historic maps I go to historicmapworks.com it even overlays it with Google maps to see where the stuff is today.

OP
OP
D

Dig-N-VA

Jan 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250/DD PROformance 8.5 x 11 coil

Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll check that out :)

Thanks, fireguy!

Happy Hunting & Dig Everything! :occasion14:

Dig-N-VA

BlueLine

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2013
Wintergreen Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Technetics
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure if your still on the forum, but I've just moved to Nelson Co near Reeds Gap. Are you still active with the Metal Detecting?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The member last logged on Jan 09, 2015 03:08 PM

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Hey guys :)

I'm looking for some civil war and pre civil war maps of these two counties, I'm new and a little slow LOL

Just wondering where i should start my search for maps of these two places :)

Thanks,

Dig-N-VA
Just "google" OLD ROADS of those counties, & you will usually end up with OLD maps of those areas; EXAMPLE: Amherst County, Va. - OLD Buffalo Road (OLD Buffalo Trace) WEST is now Rt. 60 WEST; takes you to Lexington, Va. NICE Civil War historic area, VMI, leading right up into the Shenandoah Valley, Va. via Rt. 11 NORTH, once known as OLD Warrior Path (Indians)/Great Wagon Road from "Philly"/other names...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Shenandoah Valley had LOTS of OLD Frontier communities (English, German, American)... AND! Civil War BATTLEFIELDS! HH! Good Luck! in Spring, 2018!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Start in Lexington, Va. & "march" NORTH on Rt. 11; FORGET I-81, you will miss TOO much! HH! Good Luck!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Wife & I are going to Gypsy Hill Park in Staunton, Va. soon; GHP borders one of the roads going WEST to Churchville, Va. & the mountains in WESTERN Augusta County are FULL of Civil War "action". Will be up there for 2 two days... may look around "up there"... dunno.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Once we are on the old Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike, we head to Monterey, Va., in Highland County, where the old Camp Allegheny (Old Confederate Outpost) was; MAY have to stay a few days in Monterey, or the Allegheny Mountains... I LOVE da MOUNTAINS! YEE HAAA!

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, at the top of Route 250 outside Churchville headed toward Monterey you pass the Ramsey's Draft Rec Area and at the top of that area is the Confederate Breastworks and there is a sign, parking, etc. But it is in the George Washington National Forest and i have seen VA State Troopers and Sheriffs up there. Have used it in years past as a drop off point for one car when several of us were doing a backpack trip in the area as there are old blocked jeep trails and old hunting trails through out the area. Nice to detect, hate to get caught!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Wife & I are heading to Augusta County/Staunton, Va./ Gypsy Hill Park for TWO days; leaving @ 11am. GHP has a small cave with legends of Gypsies living on top of the GHP "Mound" (Hill), hiding GOLD & SILVER Coins (MAYBE "fake" colony coins... made from GOLD/SILVER places in the hills outside of Staunton)... HA! Will enjoy GHP, anyway; been there, when I was @ 5 years old; LOVED that MINI-TRAIN! Heh... :hello2:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, back from Augusta County/Staunton, Va./Gypsy Hill Park, today... GHP had @ 7 Springs feeding into a Pump Station for H2O, Staunton, Va., (Pump Street). Found flattened hill "mound" where Gypsies were living for some time, and it IS next to Staunton Turnpike (Rt. 250). Could not find "the CAVE" at GHP, tho... DANG! Down Town Staunton was nice & I remembered SOME of the places, since I was a Counselor at WWRC, in the early 80's. I DO miss the Jolly Roger's Haggle Shop, tho... it was on "THE WHARF", near RR Depot. Ah... THOSE were THE DAYS! HEH!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Looking into what Gypsy "Tribe" was living at GHP, on the Staunton, Va. Turnpike... Romani...?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Found that the Staunton Turnpike was the Staunton, Va.-Parkersburg, W.Va. Turnpike; there was a town in W.Va. that GYPSIES lived in... have to review my notes again. I had it last night; BBL.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It was/is GYPSY, W.Va. in Harrison County, W.Va. West Fork River was a "FAVE" area; Stumpy Bottom in Princeton, W. Va. near Rt. 460 is indicated as a "place of interest" (mid-20th Century). The "Roma" or "Rom" descendants of ppl in Gypsy, W.Va. (497 acres; 328 ppl in 2010 Census) MAY have GOLD/SILVER Coins/Jewelry of their "ancestors"; wanna learn GYPSY MAGIC, myself... I DO have one of their books; HA!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread