Benson Train Robbery - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Benson Train Robbery

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Cptbil

Mar 2003
    Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
    59 times

Re: Benson Train Robbery

Dewcon4414:
    Are you going back to Fla via Houston, Tx ?
    If so, swing a little south, on I-37, and come by Mathis, (Corpus Chrisit)
    I'll be glad to meet you and we can have
    I have some info on a lost CW Train back in "Devil's Swamp"
    "Devil's Swamp" is east of Branson Fla. and west of "Cedar Key" Fla.
    CptBil & Bugs

us
    "Dew" Meeker

Mar 2006
    Gulf Coast, Fl
    MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
    1070 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (4)

Sorry Cptbill, i couldnt get internet until today. We traveled to Carlsbadd and now we are in Biloxi, MS. My wife wanted to see how much its changed. Its so bad from what we remember... all the old homes are gone and they have half of 90 being reworked. Im going to try and do some detecting while im here. Then off to Gulfshores and little more beach time. Not sure how well ill do here since all the beach seems NEW. Thanks for the coffee offer thou.... i could have used that going thru Huston. What a mad house in the mornings.

us
    Jun 2006
    Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2796 times

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.oroblanco
    Don't take it personally - you've been out there, I lived there - no biggie. I was just pointing out that its not a paved road.

We have also dabbled on the other side of 191. Of course, then you are WAY beyond the 5 miles (which is still possible, as they didn't use too many mileage markers), and there is alot of brush across 191 on the other side.

What always bugged me was where they went to from the area. There are at least 3 stories (that are good possibilities). Also, the trip they took BEFORE the robbery - from the town of Willcox (the old general store) with their supplies for doing the deed, and different stories of where they went, where they stopped, and where they holed up.

Of one of the stories, there is an older guy in Willcox who actually went up into Dos Cabezas and found a cave that had an old saddle and some old food supplies - could be connected, maybe not.

If you go to the ranch that they stopped at, all three stories start looking a little weird, because it looks like they would have gone in the wrong direction (and the further across 191 you go, the further wrong they would have been going), or made one huge circle, of at least 15 miles, in which case, with all the people out to get them, would have been extremely difficult.

Its a VERY interesting robbery, to say the least.

Google Earth may help, but, after living there, I can tell you that the dry lake is not always dry, and it looks different every week, depending on the weather, wind, water, 4 wheel drives and ATV's, and I prefer "boots on the ground" to my GPS (I use the GPS to mark things when I find them, so I don't lose them )

Anyway, I thought you were looking for information.

B

Here is a couple of pictures of the train station I took about 5 months ago. (I like to play with black and white and sepia tones)

[img][/img]
    Do you have any further information on the cave part? Hadn't heard that part or account.

The sepia toned print is excellent really like that one! Was that one a print or digital? Bet you could do some 11 X 14s frame them & they'd sell like hot cakes!
    I know it's here, just need a bigger coil!

I think I know what my last words will be....
    "Hold my beer and watch this!"

us
    Jan 2008
    Black Hills of South Dakota
    Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
    390 times

The cave part is from local talk. (and some local findings a few years ago.)

The basic story is that, after the robbers left the ranch, they held up in a cave up by Dos Cabezas or east of there in the Chiricahua's.

In 1918, some prospectors came across a cave, named Lions Cave, and, after poking around inside, found an old saddle, old cans, etc - signs of an extended stay. It was called Lion's Cave, because a guy who used to hunt mountain lions used the cave while on hunts.
    But the articles did not belong to him.(the hunter).

It is thought, locally, that the saddle, etc., may have been a place one of the robbers held up in for awhile, which is why they were not caught together. (Joe George ended up stabbed to death in Mexico and Grant Wheeler shot himself in Colorado after being cornered). But, the money was never found, and between them, they didn't have $20 on them.

The two were very popular among the local ranchers, but they were also both bumbling thieves. They screwed several of their "heists".

One actually worked for the rancher on the Riggs Ranch (which borders our Arizona property), and they both worked wrangling and as cowboys between their crime careers.

Apparently, the prospector who found the cave, did not find the coins.

B
    davin likes this.
    "Irony is the rule"

us
    Jun 2006
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2796 times

Or he was smart & kept his trap shut
    davin likes this.

us
    Jan 2008
    390 times

Yea - that's why I said "apparently".

I wouldn't tell if I found them, either.

B
    davin likes this.
    "Irony is the rule"

us
    Jun 2006
    WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
    2796 times

Quote Originally Posted by mrs.oroblanco

Yea - that's why I said "apparently".

I wouldn't tell if I found them, either.

B
    Yep, Like I say What? where? I didn't see anything, Wait a minute I don't think I was even there that day.

us
    Jan 2008
    390 times

Thank you, by the way, I used a 35 mm camera with black and white film. I worked with the tones in my darkroom.

B
    "Irony is the rule"

us
    Keep Dreaming

Apr 2015
    Seattle
    GPZ7000 / Minelab
    84 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by mrs.oroblanco View Post
    The cave part is from local talk. (and some local findings a few years ago.)

The basic story is that, after the robbers left the ranch, they held up in a cave up by Dos Cabezas or east of there in the Chiricahua's.

In 1918, some prospectors came across a cave, named Lions Cave, and, after poking around inside, found an old saddle, old cans, etc - signs of an extended stay. It was called Lion's Cave, because a guy who used to hunt mountain lions used the cave while on hunts.
    But the articles did not belong to him.(the hunter).

It is thought, locally, that the saddle, etc., may have been a place one of the robbers held up in for awhile, which is why they were not caught together. (Joe George ended up stabbed to death in Mexico and Grant Wheeler shot himself in Colorado after being cornered). But, the money was never found, and between them, they didn't have $20 on them.

The two were very popular among the local ranchers, but they were also both bumbling thieves. They screwed several of their "heists".

One actually worked for the rancher on the Riggs Ranch (which borders our Arizona property), and they both worked wrangling and as cowboys between their crime careers.

Apparently, the prospector who found the cave, did not find the coins.

B
    You have a great inside perspective on this story. Cool!

us
    May 2011
    north idaho
    whites GMT
    204 times
    any new up dates ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links