Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ROYAL GORGE COLORADO SHOWING THE HANGING bridge 1909

What's the Purpose ?

Holding the Mountain side Up ?

Makeshift Crane from when they Built the Bridge ?

Or is the Bridge actually Hanging From it ?

ROYAL GORGE COLORADO SHOWING THE HANGING bridge TREE 1909.jpg

P

Pentico

Jeff,
What you see has nothing to do with the bridge.
They had to carved out a place for the RR tracks.
That is just a truss to hold the rock wall. (Support)
I grew up 14 miles away from the bridge.
Been there more times than I can count.
If you would like I can send you some pictures that will show you more on the Worlds Highest Suspension Bridge.
If you ever get out to Colorado look me up.
Colorado is my back yard. lol
Let me know.
ChrisP
Pentico

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chris.
Card Title says "HANGING bridge" :D So it made me Curious.

feel Free to post your pics.

Jeff

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have crossed the bridge many times myself, as well as made the trip down on the tram. It, like most all of Colorado is beautiful. I have scared the heck out of both my wife and my ex by having them walk out on bridge before they realized it swings a great deal from side to side, then pointed out how the buildings on the opposite sides were on one side of bride, now on the other side, now back again. ;D

P

Pentico

Hanging 1,053 feet above Colorado's wild Arkansas River, the Royal Gorge Bridge is the world's highest suspension bridge and a legendary feat of engineering renowned the world over. Built in 1929 for $350,000, the cost today would easily exceed $15 million.
Construction on the world's highest suspension bridge began June 5, 1929, and completed Nov. 1929
Length: 1,260 feet (384 meters)
Width: 18 feet (5 meters)
Main Span: 880 feet (268 meters)
Towers: 150 feet high (46 meters)
2,100 strands of No. 9 galvanized wire
Weight of cables: 300 tons
1,000 tons of steel in the floor of Bridge
Walkway: made of 1,292 planks of deck; about 250 are replaced annually
At any time the bridge will swing 3" to 4' side to side. Great walk out to the middle of the bridge.
On the walk out to the middle of the bridge cars will cross the bridge at the same time making all the wood planks jump under your feet.

Now here is the really crazy thing about the Royal Gorge Bridge, it connects nothing to nothing. When you get of HWY 50 to the bridge, follow it all the way to the bridge, cross the bridge, drive out the other side you back 5 miles from HWY 50! Now most people don't driveout the back, they just drive up to the bridge and drive right back outthe way they came in.
TOURIST TRAP! lol
Now don't get me wrong, the Royal Gorge bridge is awesome to see and be on at one time in your life. Lot's of things to see there and do. Plan on a whole day to take it all in. Petting zoo for the kids, one of only 3 water clocks in the world, tram to the bottom of the gorge, cliff walk (lots of people get married there), codgg railroad, etc......
Okay I love Colorado. lol
All we native Coloradoans just ask you to bring money and feel free to spend it. We love tourist! lol
Skiing is great right now! hint hint

Hope this helps out.
If you ever get out this way look us up.
We can MD and site see, you will love our back yard!
ChrisP

Attachments

• Peak Point RGB.jpg
    Peak Point RGB.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 1,843
  • RED CANON ROAD.jpg
    RED CANON ROAD.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,901
  • WALK OUT RGB.jpg
    WALK OUT RGB.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 7,544
  • DROP ROCK RGB.jpg
    DROP ROCK RGB.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,420

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opps, guess I'm not like most people, each time there I contnuned across and kept going. I have camped all over Colorado and I love it.

How about The Black Canyon of Gunnison. ;) , Mesa Verde ;) and expecially the trip between Durango south down to Silverton in the dead of winter!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

nickel67

Dec 7, 2007
Been there done that ..I'm also from Co.Have you been to volcano gulch ,which is South of the gorge???
There these square cut rocks weighing probably a ton or two..I don't know if the rocks are a natural anomaly or if they're man made??? I live in the steel city ,maybe we should get together some time... nickel67

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some nice float trips on I believe it's hwy 50 leading up to where you get off for the West side of the Gorge.

P

Pentico

Hey Nickel, welcome to TNet. Cool site to hang our and learn the hobby.
Cool to see other people from Colorado posting here!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
You say the Steel City? I take that as Pueblo?
We well have to hook up some time this spring.
Be happy to take you to some really places along HYW 50
I have been to the gulch and played there as a kid on the rocks. They are cool but I don't know any story behind them.
Next time your over in Canon City just as HYW 50 starts to curve on the outside of town (Right after you pass the prison) turn left, I don't know the name of the road but it is the first left out of town. Take it to the end of the road. From there you can hike up the canon on the RR Tracks, you will see the best views of the canon there. I have not been there in a while but I would think you can still go there.
Cools cave on the side of Sky Line drive is some thing to check out next time your over in Canon City.
I know Colorado inside and out, love it here. Have Jeep will travel.
We are really new to the hobby and our only MDer. I feel a new MD on the way though as my wife loves the hobby too.
This year will be our first year outside the tot lots and hitting all our family and friends property. lol
We all ready have some places to hunt in Pueblo, Canon City, Florance, Cripple Creek (That is where I was born) that have been around for ever. Excited to get out!

again welcome to TNet and thanks for the post!
ChrisP

P

Pentico

Hey Thom,
I have not made it over the hill in a while.
College cranks back up next week so I will be over more to see the kid.
Might make it over a lot sooner if you tell me your ground is not frozen like on my side of the hill. lol
I will let you know a week or so before my next trip and I will take you up on the coffee!
ChrisP

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Chris,
Temps here have been zero and below at night
and from 15 to 30 durring the day.
I doubt if there is any place woth shooting that will be aesy enough to dig...
at least for a few weeks.
But a good cuppa ....
warms you right up!

Thom

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been to Colorado numerous times and find it beautiful in the summer time. Can't say much for the winters there or anywhere else for that matter. Can't take the cold anymore. Old Fartitis has set in! ;) I discovered the little town of Lake City one year and found it and the people wonderful to visit with outside of the tourist trade. Monty

nickel67

Dec 7, 2007
Hey Chris ..I've dug some of the same dirt with the exception of cripple creek..we'll have to have coffee some time ...YUP Pueblo.R U in Canon???? Going up there tomorrow as a matter of fact...

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Monty,

They aren't outside the tourist biz any more. It booms up there
After they did all that research about Al Packer and all I guess everybody has to be a part of that history.

The only reason I would go up there is that the Gold panning is SUPER, and (a little known secret...)
The fly fishing is even better! But don't tell anyone,
Those local folks at lake City don't even talk about it much. LOL

Thom
OD

P

Pentico

Nickel,
We live just south of Denver now.
Let's get together before spring and compare some notes.
That way we will be ready to go this spring.
I have a gut feeling this is going to be a great year.
Cold a snow here on this MLK holiday. :'(
ChrisP

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old dog I was there in the off season, during the Elk season. Most of the shops were open but not any tourist business to amount to anything. I was able to visit with many of the shop owners about the area and the town in particular. They told me their ancestors were German immigrants from a small town in Texas. The said that they just up and moved the whole town from Texas to Colorado. I got acquainted with the County Shderiff at the time and he said that 90% of his county was federal land so his actual jurisdiction was very small. He had one deputy and a lady that answered the phone and radios and did some clerical work. A few months after my last visit I read in the paper where his deputy was shot and killed by two drug smugglers during a nighttime traffic stop. I sent him a letter of condolence. They didn't have a high school and all the kids were bussed to Gunnison. They all had an adoptive family in Gunnison where they spent the night when the pass was snowed in and they couldn't get home. Of course I learned all about the Packer incident and the so called cannibalism. Oh, and the restaurant at the San Cristobal Lodge was closed but they opened it up and cooked us a steak because there wasn't another eating place open in town. Very nice of them. The cook just happened to be there and wanted somethng to do I think. Anyway, I imagine tourist season would be a busy time like you said. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions