All Treasure Hunting
AKA Roadside Rest Rooms

000aaa.jpg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
LOL...I'll, be driving past Midway today, Jeff. heading to the desert to get some video inside a cave we are unable to get into. I'll be positng later. Thanks for the chuckle...things at Midway haven't changed alot. I'll get a pic today.
Jim

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a pic of Midway today, Jeff. The bar has not been open for many years. It was open when I moved here in 1975, but I can't remember if it was called Midway at that time. It's changed hands a few times since then.
jim P5040003.JPG

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm I wonder if it Sat across the street from the Bar.
Definitely not on the same side, there are Mountains in the Background.
Does look like Possible Mountain on the Left side of the Pisser in the Backround,
But no where else.

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The pic i took today is facing southwest. I think the pic you posted is facing due west. That's about the only direction that there isn't some higher ground that would be in the pic. The bar is right at the intersection with the hiway. The road to Atomic City (1mile) angles off the hiway. I'm not sure Atomic City existed in 1942, so that road would have been dirt probably Midway was called that because it is just about exactly halfway between Arco and Blackfoot. What is now the Idaho National Laboratory was probably just becoming a Federal site early in WWII. They tested naval ship guns there by firing them at the Big Southern Butte about 16 miles to the south of Midway. The desert also became an aerial gunnery range later on in War II. Eventually the Site became a nuclear research center, and the Navy trained their nuclear operators there for many years. Arco was the first city in the world to get their electricity from nukes, though it was only a short-term test.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread