AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

My home town...yep, I actually asked permission to detect his yard! As you can imagine, I was turned down but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask :icon_thumleft:

Galena has volumes of history but it seems every metal detector in the Tri-state area has been there! I'm headed back later this fall (moving home!).

HH All!
Ang

Attachments

• Grant\'s Home, Galena IL.jpg
    Grant\'s Home, Galena IL.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,361

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

a lot of history there, good luck when you come back to the land of lincoln.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Beautiful house Ang :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing. Did that Illinois tax bill go through ??? I know it has a lot of people up in arms. I have a few friends there that want to move. It's going to interesting to see what happens to Illinois ::) Tax, tax and more tax. Toll roads and more toll roads

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

crazyjarhead said:
Beautiful house Ang :thumbsup: Thanks for sharing. Did that Illinois tax bill go through ??? I know it has a lot of people up in arms. I have a few friends there that want to move. It's going to interesting to see what happens to Illinois ::) Tax, tax and more tax. Toll roads and more toll roads

I heard about the tax increase! I can't believe it...I finally get to move back home after being away 25 yrs (USAF) and they raise state income tax; well, good thing is our military retirement in IL isn't state taxed! I haven't had to pay state income taxes due to being a resident of IL then later AK! I own a home in IL but there's always an option to move to Wisconsin :icon_thumleft: Heck, I'm used to moving every couple years so it wouldnt' be a traumatic event for me!

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

marinedad said:
a lot of history there, good luck when you come back to the land of lincoln.

Thanks! There's a big park across the street from Grant's home; my Dad lived nearby after he married, he told me one day he saw a man detecting in the park (late 60's) and he was finding silver coin after silver coin! The man took dad to his car, opened the trunk and showed dad a rather large wooden box, as the man opend the lid dad saw litterly thousands of silver coins to include halves! Dad couln't believe his eyes! I asked dad if this is what got him hooked on metal detecting, he said it wasn't but would always remember that day.

Can you imagine how many coins were in the ground when metal detectors first came out? Not to mention, silver just turned to clad and now those coins might be sought after by some! I wasn't born til 1968 so of course I don't recall those days but I'd sure like to hear stories from guys who had the opportunity to metal detect back then!

Ang

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AlaskaAng said:
crazyjarhead said:

I heard about the tax increase! I can't believe it...I finally get to move back home after being away 25 yrs (USAF) and they raise state income tax; well, good thing is our military retirement in IL isn't state taxed! I haven't had to pay state income taxes due to being a resident of IL then later AK! I own a home in IL but there's always an option to move to Wisconsin :icon_thumleft: Heck, I'm used to moving every couple years so it wouldnt' be a traumatic event for me!

Same here, retired 23 years. My brother retired from the AF too. Good luck on your retirement back home. It was a big adjustment for me

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023

Hey Angie, I remember a few years back when you posted some notes on your huntin' out in the Galena area. I hunted that home site, Grant's home back when they were doing the street work there.

The folks inside said it was okay, as it was early in the morn, no one around and they were curious to see what was in the ground. Nothing to speak of in the yard, a lot of iron, LOTS and a lot of coal or ash noise from the west side pictured from your shots above.

Went back to Apple River Canyon a couple years ago and guess what? No more hunting allowed there, at all. You can get on to the local DNR hunting reserve sites with permits nearby but the park is off limits now.

I'd never had a problem there before, always got along good with the folks running the place, but apparently some archie team went and dug the sub-floor of the old blacksmith shop and decided to advise the DNR that the site was of archie interest and should be put on the no-hunt list.

Argghhh!

Last time I was up that way Apple River was closing the doors on the two major employers there and it may have become a much less inhabited place by now. Probably some good hunting left there to be sure.

Goose-0

Dec 25, 2006
Central Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & VX3

Ang, My family & I visited Grant's home many snows ago before Galena became what it is today. I remember walking up to the front of the home and looked behind the 1st floor center window shutters (it appears they aren't there now). Wow, 2 bats hanging on the inside....that was a thrill for the kids. I lived in the Chicagoland area all of my life until I realized that the Chicagoland area wasn't a place to raise 8 kids. Luckily, we 'escaped' the area and moved to Minnesota....Ahhhh! Yep, I go just 3 miles now to hunt in the fall, and our town just installed its 3rd traffic light....oh well, progress I guess.

Marvin

Dec 24, 2010
Western Burbs of Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I think the only thing their not taxing here anymore is Oxygen and Sunshine. Getting hard to make a living.

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marvin said:
I think the only thing their not taxing here anymore is Oxygen and Sunshine. Getting hard to make a living.

So true! I heard what I'm in for...yikes! Coming from a state of NO TAXES, this will be a big change!

Ang

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goose-0 said:
Ang, My family & I visited Grant's home many snows ago before Galena became what it is today. I remember walking up to the front of the home and looked behind the 1st floor center window shutters (it appears they aren't there now). Wow, 2 bats hanging on the inside....that was a thrill for the kids. I lived in the Chicagoland area all of my life until I realized that the Chicagoland area wasn't a place to raise 8 kids. Luckily, we 'escaped' the area and moved to Minnesota....Ahhhh! Yep, I go just 3 miles now to hunt in the fall, and our town just installed its 3rd traffic light....oh well, progress I guess.

Wow, that must have been in the early 70s. Seems Galena became more popular after they made it what it is today (renovated the downtown buildings and added neat stores, resturants, and pubs). I love galena, such a neat town! Galena has really become a place to visit, can't wait to return and live there again!

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Marvin said:
Wait, they'll find a way...can you belive galena now has what they call "View tax"? Yep, if you have a view of the river or the town, you're taxed!

Ang

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Went to Galena for the first time in fall. I liked the brewery there.

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gimmie The Loot said:
Went to Galena for the first time in fall. I liked the brewery there.

The brewery has a nice atmosphere and the micro beers were OK...I wasn't crazy about any one specifically...hard to believe that building was a funeral (I think) home before turning it into a micro brewery! Almost time to get the detectors out...just found a brand new XLT (yeah hard to find new ones anymore) and I bought the D2 coil for my MXT so hoping to get down into some deep silver!

Angie

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The brewery has a nice atmosphere and the micro beers were OK...I wasn't crazy about any one specifically...hard to believe that building was a funeral (I think) home before turning it into a micro brewery! Almost time to get the detectors out...just found a brand new XLT (yeah hard to find new ones anymore) and I bought the D2 coil for my MXT so hoping to get down into some deep silver!

Angie

Good Luck Ang!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread