Gen Grants Home, Galena IL
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    us
    Dec 2004
    NW Illinois
    White's XLT (2), MXT, MXT Pro,
    300
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    My home town...yep, I actually asked permission to detect his yard! As you can imagine, I was turned down but hey, it doesn't hurt to ask

    Galena has volumes of history but it seems every metal detector in the Tri-state area has been there! I'm headed back later this fall (moving home!).

    HH All!
    Ang
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grant\'s Home, Galena IL.jpg 
Views:	1292 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	491168  
    Ang

  2. #2
    us
    Dec 2009
    pisgah forest, n.c.
    minelab e-trac and equinox 800
    1,642
    45 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    a lot of history there, good luck when you come back to the land of lincoln.

  3. #3
    us
    Sep 2007
    N. San Diego County
    Ace 250
    10,318
    42 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Beautiful house Ang Thanks for sharing. Did that Illinois tax bill go through I know it has a lot of people up in arms. I have a few friends there that want to move. It's going to interesting to see what happens to Illinois Tax, tax and more tax. Toll roads and more toll roads

  4. #4
    us
    Dec 2004
    NW Illinois
    White's XLT (2), MXT, MXT Pro,
    300
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjarhead
    Beautiful house Ang Thanks for sharing. Did that Illinois tax bill go through I know it has a lot of people up in arms. I have a few friends there that want to move. It's going to interesting to see what happens to Illinois Tax, tax and more tax. Toll roads and more toll roads
    I heard about the tax increase! I can't believe it...I finally get to move back home after being away 25 yrs (USAF) and they raise state income tax; well, good thing is our military retirement in IL isn't state taxed! I haven't had to pay state income taxes due to being a resident of IL then later AK! I own a home in IL but there's always an option to move to Wisconsin Heck, I'm used to moving every couple years so it wouldnt' be a traumatic event for me!
    Ang

  5. #5
    us
    Dec 2004
    NW Illinois
    White's XLT (2), MXT, MXT Pro,
    300
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Quote Originally Posted by marinedad
    a lot of history there, good luck when you come back to the land of lincoln.
    Thanks! There's a big park across the street from Grant's home; my Dad lived nearby after he married, he told me one day he saw a man detecting in the park (late 60's) and he was finding silver coin after silver coin! The man took dad to his car, opened the trunk and showed dad a rather large wooden box, as the man opend the lid dad saw litterly thousands of silver coins to include halves! Dad couln't believe his eyes! I asked dad if this is what got him hooked on metal detecting, he said it wasn't but would always remember that day.

    Can you imagine how many coins were in the ground when metal detectors first came out? Not to mention, silver just turned to clad and now those coins might be sought after by some! I wasn't born til 1968 so of course I don't recall those days but I'd sure like to hear stories from guys who had the opportunity to metal detect back then!

    Ang
    Ang

  6. #6
    us
    Sep 2007
    N. San Diego County
    Ace 250
    10,318
    42 times
    Metal Detecting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaAng
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjarhead
    Beautiful house Ang Thanks for sharing. Did that Illinois tax bill go through I know it has a lot of people up in arms. I have a few friends there that want to move. It's going to interesting to see what happens to Illinois Tax, tax and more tax. Toll roads and more toll roads
    I heard about the tax increase! I can't believe it...I finally get to move back home after being away 25 yrs (USAF) and they raise state income tax; well, good thing is our military retirement in IL isn't state taxed! I haven't had to pay state income taxes due to being a resident of IL then later AK! I own a home in IL but there's always an option to move to Wisconsin Heck, I'm used to moving every couple years so it wouldnt' be a traumatic event for me!
    Same here, retired 23 years. My brother retired from the AF too. Good luck on your retirement back home. It was a big adjustment for me

  7. #7
    us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    6,578
    62 times

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Hey Angie, I remember a few years back when you posted some notes on your huntin' out in the Galena area. I hunted that home site, Grant's home back when they were doing the street work there.

    The folks inside said it was okay, as it was early in the morn, no one around and they were curious to see what was in the ground. Nothing to speak of in the yard, a lot of iron, LOTS and a lot of coal or ash noise from the west side pictured from your shots above.

    Went back to Apple River Canyon a couple years ago and guess what? No more hunting allowed there, at all. You can get on to the local DNR hunting reserve sites with permits nearby but the park is off limits now.

    I'd never had a problem there before, always got along good with the folks running the place, but apparently some archie team went and dug the sub-floor of the old blacksmith shop and decided to advise the DNR that the site was of archie interest and should be put on the no-hunt list.

    Argghhh!

    Last time I was up that way Apple River was closing the doors on the two major employers there and it may have become a much less inhabited place by now. Probably some good hunting left there to be sure.

  8. #8
    us
    Dec 2006
    Central Minnnesota
    White's DFX & VX3
    968
    274 times

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Ang, My family & I visited Grant's home many snows ago before Galena became what it is today. I remember walking up to the front of the home and looked behind the 1st floor center window shutters (it appears they aren't there now). Wow, 2 bats hanging on the inside....that was a thrill for the kids. I lived in the Chicagoland area all of my life until I realized that the Chicagoland area wasn't a place to raise 8 kids. Luckily, we 'escaped' the area and moved to Minnesota....Ahhhh! Yep, I go just 3 miles now to hunt in the fall, and our town just installed its 3rd traffic light....oh well, progress I guess.

  9. #9
    us
    Dec 2010
    Western Burbs of Chicago
    Fisher F2
    43
    2 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    I think the only thing their not taxing here anymore is Oxygen and Sunshine. Getting hard to make a living.

  10. #10
    us
    Dec 2004
    NW Illinois
    White's XLT (2), MXT, MXT Pro,
    300
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin
    I think the only thing their not taxing here anymore is Oxygen and Sunshine. Getting hard to make a living.
    So true! I heard what I'm in for...yikes! Coming from a state of NO TAXES, this will be a big change!

    Ang
    Ang

  11. #11
    us
    Dec 2004
    NW Illinois
    White's XLT (2), MXT, MXT Pro,
    300
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Quote Originally Posted by Goose-0
    Ang, My family & I visited Grant's home many snows ago before Galena became what it is today. I remember walking up to the front of the home and looked behind the 1st floor center window shutters (it appears they aren't there now). Wow, 2 bats hanging on the inside....that was a thrill for the kids. I lived in the Chicagoland area all of my life until I realized that the Chicagoland area wasn't a place to raise 8 kids. Luckily, we 'escaped' the area and moved to Minnesota....Ahhhh! Yep, I go just 3 miles now to hunt in the fall, and our town just installed its 3rd traffic light....oh well, progress I guess.
    Wow, that must have been in the early 70s. Seems Galena became more popular after they made it what it is today (renovated the downtown buildings and added neat stores, resturants, and pubs). I love galena, such a neat town! Galena has really become a place to visit, can't wait to return and live there again!
    Ang

  12. #12
    us
    Dec 2004
    NW Illinois
    White's XLT (2), MXT, MXT Pro,
    300
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Quote Originally Posted by Marvin
    I think the only thing their not taxing here anymore is Oxygen and Sunshine. Getting hard to make a living.
    Wait, they'll find a way...can you belive galena now has what they call "View tax"? Yep, if you have a view of the river or the town, you're taxed!

    Ang
    Ang

  13. #13
    us
    May 2010
    Driftwood, TX
    etrac, ACE 250
    1,239
    42 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Went to Galena for the first time in fall. I liked the brewery there.
    The future of detecting is up you you! Do it right.

  14. #14
    us
    Dec 2004
    NW Illinois
    White's XLT (2), MXT, MXT Pro,
    300
    9 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Gen Grant's Home, Galena IL

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmie The Loot
    Went to Galena for the first time in fall. I liked the brewery there.
    The brewery has a nice atmosphere and the micro beers were OK...I wasn't crazy about any one specifically...hard to believe that building was a funeral (I think) home before turning it into a micro brewery! Almost time to get the detectors out...just found a brand new XLT (yeah hard to find new ones anymore) and I bought the D2 coil for my MXT so hoping to get down into some deep silver!

    Angie
    Ang

  15. #15
    us
    May 2010
    Driftwood, TX
    etrac, ACE 250
    1,239
    42 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaAng View Post
    The brewery has a nice atmosphere and the micro beers were OK...I wasn't crazy about any one specifically...hard to believe that building was a funeral (I think) home before turning it into a micro brewery! Almost time to get the detectors out...just found a brand new XLT (yeah hard to find new ones anymore) and I bought the D2 coil for my MXT so hoping to get down into some deep silver!

    Angie
    Good Luck Ang!

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

250 things to see in galena il
,
galena il
,
galena il metal detecting
,

galena illinois metal detecting

,
galena,il fall
,
gen.grant il
,

metal detecting galena il

,

metal detecting in galena il

,
metal detecting in galena, il
,
pictures inside gen grant's home in galena,il.
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0