🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ilcampgrant.jpg

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
>>where is camp grant at?

Looks like the Rockford Airport now occupies the area...but there are plenty of places close to the camp like Atwood Park, or Atwood Outdoor Education Center, both East of the airport that could be interesting, there's also Blackhawk Island to the West. According to Wiki, the 86th Infantry Division (Black Hawk Division) was formed at Camp Grant and there are several references to Blackhawk in the immediate area of the Camp location.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Grant_(Illinois)

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Glad to help. Stuck at work as usual so this is the only way I can contribute. Good luck...

Jim

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a great place to hunt.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Yeah, but you guys don't know Jerry, Char and Denny from the Rockford/Winnebago area. When I say they've been there, done that, it's done. Jerry's got more old silver out of that area than the old west ever saw.

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Edlebrock told me of this post...as we research our ancestors. I told him about my grandpa.... and remembering I found info on him...

Entered US Army 25 Jun 1918. Went to Camp Grant, Ill. Assigned to Company H 343rd Inf 86th Div. Left for overseas Sept 3, 1918. Returned to US July 5, 1919. He was a Corporal.

From Postcard sent to his mother: Dated July 6, 1919. Arrived Great Northern to Camp Merritt, New Jersey Unit 83 D.S.C.

Grandpa said that Camp Merritt is where the Army guys went when returning from overseas. I had totally forgot about Camp Grant...OMG...Thanks so much for this post. Now I will have to do some more research, possibly newspaper research.

Hey Edlebrock...I'll see if I can find some newspaper search also for your grand uncle on his unit / camp.

Thanks Jeff, for this post!!!! Don't know how I missed this one....
Annmarie

dbennett7

Aug 7, 2011
you cannot hunt at atwood i do not know about blackhawk island it was all cabins and small houses at one time so maybe it can be hunted with permission from landowners dennis

Apr 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, first time poster. This is interesting. I live in New Milford between the airport and Atwood park. Have often wanted to go detecting. Often hear of mortar shells and balls being found in Atwood.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread