Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lithograph.jpg

Camp Moore was the largest Confederate training camp in Louisiana and the only Confederate training camp still open to the public. The above is a copy of a lithograph done by Adrian Persac in 1861 and is the only known image of Camp Moore during the war. In the background may be seen the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad. The garrison flag floats proudly above the parade ground in the center. Men are seen in various stages of drill in the center, in the parade ground. Along the left or south border may be seen rows of tents in typical company street style. Visitors are seen in the foreground, which was a very common sight at Camp Moore. Visitors flocked from New Orleans and other places to see their sons and husbands. It was a pleasant 4-hour train ride from New Orleans. Not quite visible in this picture would have been the sutlers, restaurants and photographer, located in the right distance of the tree line, along Beaver Creek. The orientation of this picture is taken looking west from the interior of Camp Moore looking across the parade ground.

http://www.campmoore.com/

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Camp Moore was the largest Confederate training camp in Louisiana and the only Confederate training camp still open to the public. The above is a copy of a lithograph done by Adrian Persac in 1861 and is the only known image of Camp Moore during the war. In the background may be seen the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad. The garrison flag floats proudly above the parade ground in the center. Men are seen in various stages of drill in the center, in the parade ground. Along the left or south border may be seen rows of tents in typical company street style. Visitors are seen in the foreground, which was a very common sight at Camp Moore. Visitors flocked from New Orleans and other places to see their sons and husbands. It was a pleasant 4-hour train ride from New Orleans. Not quite visible in this picture would have been the sutlers, restaurants and photographer, located in the right distance of the tree line, along Beaver Creek. The orientation of this picture is taken looking west from the interior of Camp Moore looking across the parade ground.

http://www.campmoore.com/

Can you MD at Camp Moore?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
River Rat

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe so.

Donald70448

Feb 22, 2014
Mandeville, La
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm headed out to city park tomorrow morning for a hunt ! Your welcome any time !

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I have to put my two cents worth in. My Great-Great-Grandfather was there, I think with the 3rd Louisiana Infantry. That said I will I will look into it.

45th_Johnny

Jul 14, 2017
Mississippi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I have to put my two cents worth in. My Great-Great-Grandfather Edward Jennings was there, He was with Company C of the 8th Louisiana Infantry, The Attakapas Guards. That said I will I will look into it more.

Last edited:

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Can you MD at Camp Moore?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

River Rat is correct, there's no MD'ing allowed there. We detected the private property (fields) across US 51years ago, but didn't find much. I've got a contact that I've been working with to secure permission to hunt the wooded area of private property behind (east of) the camp. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and maybe one day I'll get it... "D"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread