Fruitport Michigan History Pomona Pavilion

RickRobinson

May 26, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Fisher 1280x, Garrett Propointer
Another attraction in Pomona Park was the Fruitport Pavilion. From around the turn of the century until the 50’s, it was a destination for Big Bands and dancing. Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington and Doris Day played there. Several hundred people would pack the hall. The pavilion burned down in 1963.

The pavilion was built by the Grand Rapids, Grand Haven and Muskegon Railroad Company as an attraction.

image003.jpg
A Railroad brochure featuring the Pomona Pavilion.

image004.jpg
In the two pictures, note how the shrubbery has grown.
image005.jpg

image006.jpg
Here’s a view of the Pavilion from the lake looking towards the shore. In the foreground, you can see boats tied to the dock

image007.jpg
Here’s another view of the Pavilion from Pomona Park overlooking Spring Lake, You can see a small steamer moored behind the dance hall.

image008.jpg
The Pavilion as it looks today. Anyone metal detect in the water?

little_miss

Mar 30, 2011
Fruitport
I love this post. :icon_thumright: Where did you find those pictures at? I live right by Pomona park and I've always been interested in the history of it. I've been doing loads of research lately and I'm amazed at how much I didn't know about a place that I've spent so much time at. I'm wanting to do some detecting here but I have yet to ask permission. If you have any other pictures I'd LOVE to see them. I found this one on Ebay. It's on the front of an old postcard.

Attachments

• pomona pavilion.jpg
    pomona pavilion.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 2,547

oldschool

Jan 25, 2009
muskegon
Detector(s) used
whites DFX
little-miss,
this park is open to MD as I and a couple friends have hunted it some and the city worker usually stops by to see how were doing.We pulled a couple IH and iam sure theirs more.
GL Randy

wanting rings

Aug 9, 2014
Muskegon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro(main), White's adjustable sand scoop, Bounty Hunter quick Draw(back up 1), Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Garrett Ace 250(kids), & a tracker IV(Kids)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Pics, I have been wondering how that was laid Out. I need to change my locations a little by the looks of it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread