Old Homestead near Prairie Home

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Riley P Edwards Homestead .....

18 Feb 1916 Evan Alexander Rex
HE WAS 86 YEARS OLD Mr. E. A. Rex, Answered Final Summons Sunday Morning WAS BORN IN NORTH CAROLINA 1830 ________________________________________________________ Leaves 5 Children, 40 Grand. children and 60 great grand children

Rev. D. H. Howerton, of this place, conducted funeral services at the Pisgah Baptist church Monday afternoon which were largely attended despite the bad roads and rather inclement weather. The pallbearers were Messrs. HenryCarpenter, John Locan Thatcher Jones, Wm. Baker, Edgar Carpenter and D. D. Hurt, Mr. Rex had been a member of the Baptist church almost 59 years and had his membership with the Pisgah church 43 years. In the Eagle of May 9, 1913, The following sketch of "Daddie" Rex as he was lovingly known to his many relatives and acquaintances was published: "I was born in Rowan County, North Carolina, February 12, 1830. My parents came through Tennessee intoKentucky, and into Indiana, where in 1849 I was United in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Campbell. We moved to Illinois in1850, thence to Maries County, Mo., in 1853, from there to Jasper county in 1860, and came to Cooper county in 1862. I then enlisted in the rebel army with old Pap Price and served until the surrender at Shreveport, La., and came home inJune 1865. I bought a farm in the Moniteau creek bottom in 1865, and cleared up the bottom and cultivated it. I had a black-smith shop of my own and made my own Plows. I cut lumber from the stump and made four wagons ready to hitchto. I lived over 17 years on this place and then bought what was known as the Gill farm and lived on it -for over 17 years. I then bought property in Clarksburg and lived there about five months. My wife died in 1902 and I moved to R. P. Edwards', where I now make my home, spending some of the time with the Nelsons at Clarksburg, my other childrenliving too far away for me to visit". Mr. Rex is survived by five children who are: Mrs. M. M. Harvey, Glendora, Calif.; W. H. Rex. Owassa, Okla; G.A. Rex, Clarksburg and Mrs. M. T. Nelson, of Glendora, Calif. Another daughter, Mrs. W. P. Whitlow, of Eaton, Colo. diedJanuary 9, 1916; and another daughter died in infancy. Mr. Rex is also survived by forty grandchildren and sixty great-grandchildren, also a half-brother, W. Y. Hommel, of Glendora Calif. Mr. Rex was in good health almost up to the time of his death and was of an industrious nature that kept him active all his life. He was a great reader and was well versed in the scriptures. He lived an exemplary Christian life andhis influence was always for good and his life was not only a long one but was one well spent. Several years ago Mr. Rex fell heir to a large estate of a half-brother in the state of California, amounting to between $75,000 and $100,000, and left all his children well fixed financially. The Eagle joins the many friends of this grand old pioneer Christian in extending sincere ,sympathy to the bereaved relatives From The Bunceton (Mo.) Weekly Eagle Feb, 18, 1916.

Attachments

• R P Edwards residence Prairie Home.jpg
    R P Edwards residence Prairie Home.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 395
  • Farm of RP Edwards.jpg
    Farm of RP Edwards.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 376

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread