Cascade House Fire NY

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The famous Cascade House stood near the east end of the Portage Bridge for over a century. These newspaper articles from the Nunda News document the destruction of the local landmark by fire in 1969.

1870's second photo

This handcolored image is of the famous hotel that once stood on the east end of the famous Portage Bridge. It was built in 1853 by George Williams, and stood until September 14, 1969, when it was burned by vandals.

Attachments

• cascade fire.jpg
    cascade fire.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 953
  • former cascade house.jpg
    former cascade house.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 842

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Inviting :o

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
what a shame it burned down. it was gorgeous! :o

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Man I used to run all over that place as a kid! Letchworth State Park was an hour-ish south of me growing up and my buddies and I would swim and screw-off there all the time! :-\

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
Letchworth...I know that one too. ;D

I'm new to MDing and have realized...there's more to it than beach combing.

Should have known that. :o

Thanx again.

dglea

Sep 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Cascade House was located in Portage, NY near the Erie RR "Portage Station". A small but lively settlement grew up in the immediate area., including two dance pavilions. It was used for many years for reunions by the veterans of the Union Army First New York Dragoons. Over the course of years the station was torn down and the settlement dwindled away until today there are only private farms there. I grew up in nearby Nunda and left in 1961; never even knew the place was there. One hundred years ago Western New York was a booming and prosperous area, so unlike today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread