Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
c. 1869 Cozzens' West Point Hotel

c. 1869 ad from The evening telegraph. (Philadelphia [Pa.]), 24 June 1869.

0.jpg

I have no idea if this is an area open to the public,
But If you can hunt it :thumbsup:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

View_up_the_Hudson._Cozzen's_Hotel,_West_Point,_from_Robert_N._Dennis_collection_of_stereoscopic.png

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live pretty near "The Point" and believe me there is nothing that has any resemblance to those pics these days. There is a town there now, pretty much all private property and heavily developed. Nothing on the military reservation itself is open to MDing.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live pretty near "The Point" and believe me there is nothing that has any resemblance to those pics these days. There is a town there now, pretty much all private property and heavily developed. Nothing on the military reservation itself is open to MDing.

Thanks ! & I haven't been there since the late 60's & all I could think
was when do we leave ? No women there. west point apparently had a no girls allowed rule :(

any-Who

if I had to guess Cozzens Ave isn't just coincidence
& Probably was part of the original road in before the housing boom.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled0.jpg

& the area Circled looks the most suspect & Interesting

but Hard Digging :laughing7: even if you can

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drove down by the third pic last year on a visit to the museum. Big McMansion there with a lot of private-keep out posters. I always wished I could hunt Constitution Island just off the point but it is uber verboten. Back before 9/11 one could walk up the RR tracks from the Point and climb the hill north of the main area, and there are many early artillery shells and balls in the woods because the West Point Foundry across the river test fired all the cannons they made over the river and onto the side of the mountain. They also test fired captured Confederate cannons and projectiles at the mountain and many rare projectiles have been found up there. I know a guy who took days to get a 300lb Parrot solid shot down off the mountain. I was up there, and there were chunks of large round shells just lying on the rocks (very rocky terrain) but finding whole ones was tough. Hard hunting with BFOs then since many of the rocks are good quality iron ore and signal off like a cannon ball. Probably one could still find some balls in the Hudson below the mountain by diving, but people are no longer allowed on the hill. There have been a bunch of artillery rounds found in the river a couple miles south off Bannerman's Island. There were five Rev war forts in my county, but two have been developed over and the other three are naturally off limits as historic sites.
Jeff you ought to get back up to the Point again, the museum there is always a good visit, and you can still go and walk around the grounds but you need photo ID to get into the grounds these days.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread