Lewiston NY

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
The following is an excerpt from New York: A Guide to the Empire State in Tour 26 (NY Route 104):
The FRONTIER HOUSE, Center St., a large, gray stone three-story building, was erected in 1824; the porch was added in the late 1830's. Here, according to tradition, James Fenimore Cooper wrote The Spy. William Morgan, who planned to publish secrets of the Masonic order, was seen by non-Masons for the last time at this inn on September 13, 1826.
The "Morgan Affair" still remains one of the most bizzare unsolved cases in American history to this day. He was kidnapped in nearby Batavia, NY and taken to Lewiston by stagecoach and put in another carriage behind the Frontier House. Morgan was never seen again. Rumor has it he was taken to Fort Niagara, shackled, and thrown off a boat in the middle of the Niagara River.

The Frontier House has remained open throughout the years as some type of restaurant. The most recent tenant was a McDonald's, the only McDonald's in the country to be located in a building on the National Register of Historic Places. However they moved out in December 2004 and it has remained vacant since. Efforts are underway to establish a culinary school on the first floor of the building

It was home to the finest hotel west of Albany, which still stands today and is known as the Frontier House which was built in 1824-5 by Joshua Fairbanks, Benjamin Barton and son, Samuel.
The Frontier House was once recognized as the finest hotel west of Albany, and is Lewiston's premiere historic landmark. Stage coaches once thundered up to its doors when it served as a stop when Lewiston was the center of the "Great Overland Route Across the Continent." The Froniter House is constructed of stone from the Bay of Quinte at the Northeastern end of Lake Ontario. 18 men worked 18 months in laying up the solid stone 30 inch walls.
http://www.historiclewiston.org/history.html

Attachments

• LewHist72.jpg
    LewHist72.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 935
  • Frontier House.jpg
    Frontier House.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,593
  • Lewiston 1890.jpg
    Lewiston 1890.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 570
  • Postcard.jpg
    Postcard.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 946

ydduit

Tenderfoot
May 2, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero; Garrett ACE 250
I used to eat cheese burgers in the basement of the Frontier House :D

I grew up in Lewiston and remember riding my bike to the McDonalds...They had several "party rooms" in the basement for b-day parties...it was very creepy! The original stone walls with arched passageways remained.

I grew up hearing countless stories of hauntings and the history of underground tunnels from the Frontier House to the Niagara river that was used to transport slaves to freedom.

Lewiston is an awesome historic town!

Thanks for the memories Gypsy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread