Must see for TR Types

Raccoon

Apr 3, 2010
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I saw their presentation on 6. The guy said they don't take anything but pictures and don't leave anything but footprints, so it might be possible they aren't friendly to us and our pursuits.

-Rock

Aussie Okie

Oct 2, 2006
Full Time RVer based in TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raccoon said:
I saw their presentation on 6. The guy said they don't take anything but pictures and don't leave anything but footprints, so it might be possible they aren't friendly to us and our pursuits.

-Rock

I would say you are right, unfortunate as they are doing a lot of research that would be really handy for us.

gazmuth

Jun 16, 2012
North Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garret GTX 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can't speak about most of the places from Abandoned Oklahoma, but....

The Lincoln Beerblower Plant (I didn't know that was it's name, here in Ponca City we knew it as Osage Generating Plant) but it was to be condemned, OG&E hired a group of contractors to remove the asbestos inside of the building, but they were not following EPA specifications, so it sits, sprayed down to contain the dust, and demolition has not ever started up again. A 10 Foot High chain link fence with "Posted" signs encompasses the area there.

The Airline Drive In was at the corner of Waverly and Highland (on the South West corner, about a block west of Waverly), and just last month, May 2014, they took down the sign and proceeded to take down all remnants that it was ever there.

Chillocco Indian School, owned last I knew by the Kansa Tribe, the last thing publicly known about it was that Hubble (the writer not the astrophysicist) had a rehabilitation center there, but it has since closed. Now there are black vehicles with well dressed people going and coming, a big sign that says "KEEP OUT" and it is believed by many (rumor only) that it has become a Homeland Security Base.

Ponca City Santa Fe station is on RailRoad property, lots of signs forbidding trespassing, we no longer have a switch engine here, and the whole area is hard packed gravel, very hard to MD in.

Hudson Refinery in Cushing has been dismantled, not sure if everything is gone, but I know several years ago the Superfund Cleanup was taking place there and across the road at the old Gibble Gas refinery.

If you ever wander to Ponca City, one place that seems to keep producing a few old coins, silver, wheats, an occasional indian head and buffalo head, even a few Franklin halves is the "buy out" area that is to the east of the present Phillips 66 refinery (Started as Marland Oil, turned to Conoco, then ConocoPhillips, now Phillips 66). Most of the houses that were torn down from that area were from the 1920's through the 1940's. It is nothing much more than a huge park now. It is owned by Phillips 66, they have no problems with metal detecting there, many people go there to do just that, and the only structure is for the Standing Bear PowWow that was built about 5 - 7 years ago. Conoco tried to give it to the city, but the city wouldn't take the land, so it remains a part of the refinery. No fences, walking paths now, and you can still tell (by the driveways) where the old houses were.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread