Pennhaven junction

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
Up river from glen onoko. There are a few great photos on this site. http://www.gingerb.com/cnj_white_haven_to_mauch_chunk.htm

The station

354012436.jpg

Later photo I think of the same building

354012362.jpg

This site gives a brief history on the village of pennhaven junction, I do believe it all is in the state park now.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...w&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=3&ct=image&cd=1

Does anyone know if there is a road to access this, penn pilot must be down today, last weekend I did see that the one building was standing in the 1930's map, but is no longer there.

OP
OP
jeff741972

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
I looked at it in on google earth, there must be a way in, a car is parked at the junction. :D

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although The area up there probably looks the same in many areas.

The Bottom pic looks like the area I Parked. coming in to Glenn Onoko from from
Jim Thorpe.

Minus the Buildng of course.

Then again, If that's the river to the Left that's
says it's not.

OP
OP
jeff741972

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
I called a friend of mine whos father retired from the reailroad, That lot can be accessed from weatherly, and where those building sit, is now the parking lot. He thinks there are also foundations up river also from workers homes, I guess this is another one to go n check out.

The lot in Jim Thorpe is similar, if you load up penn pilot goto the early map and go directly east of weatherly, some of the buildings are visible.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detected this site over 10 years ago with permission from the park officer. You could at that time get to it by driving down along the railroard tracks; it is quite a hike and a bit treacherous. This was before Pennsylvania passed their state park laws about digging with trowels, etc. I did recently speak to the director of the park there (I have no interest in PennHaven mind you merely I enjoy the historical aspect of it) and they want to know your name, where you are going, how long you will be there, etc, etc.

Anyways, there are the remnants of some old foundations there. Very interesting in fact, as you wonder how people lived in such small homes. There was a school, a tavern there, and I believe a post office. Nothing in those pictures remains. My detector spitted and spattered...and I found so much trash. In fact, I went there several times. I found nothing in the terms of coinage save a clad roosevelt dime. As I was detecting once, some old buzzard thought I was there catching rattlesnakes. I suppose from a distance it could look like that. He said the placed used to be called "Rattlesnake Junction" and I have no confirmation on that from the books.

So, I was quite disappointed to say the least. I did a ton of research and spent alot of time and found nothing really. A VERY interesting place historically.
Goes to show though, dont build near a river. This is what can happen.

All in all, you have to remember though in 1840 a barrel of flour cost a penney. I dont think people lost too much realistically speaking.

And for those of you who dont know the story of that flood does get jucier. I really dont want to fan the fires already in your eyes though. LOL.

OP
OP
jeff741972

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
I had grown up in Jim Thorpe, we would ride our bicycles up there 20 years ago, I kinda figured it was a lost cause, railroad over burden and all.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
all I have from Glen Onoko is a 1944 Wheat
from '02

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I detected all up Glen Onoko and to Penn Haven.
Found sites you would not even knew were there after doing the research.

Nothing but clad.

I guess we werent the first ones who thought of that.

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And, by the way. Yes, those photos are accurate from what I have come across.
Nice fishing hole under that bridge if you can stand the kayakers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread