Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
August 3, 1932.

In the fall of 1931, hundreds of veterans and their families camped near Johnstown, PA, on their way to Washington D.C. The next summer, more than 20,000 Bonus Marchers converged on Washington, D. C. to demand immediate payment of the Soldiers" bonus promised to men who had served in the armed forces during World War I. In the next four years unemployment in Pennsylvania would rise from 11.8 to close to 40 percent.

ExplorePAHistory-a0k7c7-a_349.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Driven out of the nation's capital at bayonet point, more than 4,000 broke and disheartened Bonus Army marchers spent the better part of two weeks in a makeshift encampment near Ideal Park, an amusement park near Johnstown, before returning to their homes.
ExplorePAHistory-a0k7c6-a_349.jpg

Kayaker

Dec 27, 2010
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro and Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
First Post!... Sorry to resurrect this old topic, but it really hit home (literally) so I thought I'd register and reply. I just got a metal detector for Christmas. It's a "beginner model", I suppose, but a great "toy" for this 51 year old kid. A cruel present to get this Christmas, when we now have a foot of snow on the ground here in Connecticut! Anyway, I was thinking of where I grew up near Johnstown, PA... and where might be great places to try detecting if/when I ever get back there. I thought of this old, regionally famous park and got to this forum site via a Google search on "Ideal Park".

I had never heard that it was used as an encampment! That's very cool! When I lived there in the 60's and 70's, the park was named "Fun City", but I had heard many stories about it's former glory as Ideal Park. The pool was HUGE. At 300 feet by 600 feet, it was the largest swimming pool in North America, at some point. Even if those veterans never lost a nickel, I bet there was plenty lost at Ideal Park and Fun City over the years. I wonder if it's been "fished out" by now(?). I haven't been back to Johnstown for years, but I'll certainly bring my new metal detector there when I finally do! Thought maybe somebody might find it interesting.

Merry Christmas, everyone - Kayaker (Keith, in Connecticut)

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
Fun City is long gone too, 77 flood took care of it. It's now a multi sports field for I believe Conemaugh Twp.

Ditto the old greenhouses on 403 in Bennscreek, another multi use field for the Township.

More then likely current money to be found there. Second spot has lots of festivals and concerts.

Been by both a lot, and honestly don't remember seeing anyone out there swinging a MD.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions