Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Conneaute Lake is just outside of Meadville which is between Pittsburgh and Lake Erie along I-79

dogbit

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2004
I've hunted the beach area and the lawn in front of the one hotel you have pics., it's the one with the red roof in your pic. When I first asked permission I was told "sure, go ahead, lots of people metal detect here". Didn't find to much , but I only hit the area for a couple hours before it got real cold. Found a couple wheats so I figure that there's silver around, I just need to hit the less visible areas. The beach has a lot of sand ,I believe they dump it there, though I'm not sure. I've found a few modern rings when it was warmer in the water and after a couple storms moved some sand I found some wheats in the water near the ferry. It looks like they've rebuilt the ferry stop and I've only found modern clad there. However looking at your pics there's a lot of areas that used to get a lot of use that are not really used much now, maybe I'll get something out of there. If you come over to this area let me know and we can hunt. I live in Meadville, which is only a few miles from there. I'm not sure if hunting is allowed after memorial day in the park or on the hotel grounds, I'll look into this in the spring when everything thaws out. I also got a couple other leads I'm looking into on old overgrown carnival grounds in this area. I'll post if anything turns up.

Pete_

Jun 13, 2006
I also live close to this park and have thought about MDing there. I was told by somebody that used to work there that it is allowed but I have not asked permission myself yet.

The picture that you posted of the race track looks like the Crawford County fair grounds. I have detected there once but I think it gets hit pretty hard. I have also done research and found that there was another horse track around here in the early 1900's but I can't seem to find out where it was.

Pete

dogbit

Tenderfoot
Apr 30, 2004
Hey Pete, I live right across the road from the Crawford Cty fair on 77. I can see the grandstand from my front window. Maybe we should try getting together sometime over at Conneaut Lake? When it gets warm shoot me a message.

Pete_

Jun 13, 2006
dogbit said:
Hey Pete, I live right across the road from the Crawford Cty fair on 77. I can see the grandstand from my front window. Maybe we should try getting together sometime over at Conneaut Lake? When it gets warm shoot me a message.

dogbit,
Yeah we could do something when it thaws out. Send me a PM sometime and we can arrange something.

Pete

Harry(PA)

Greenie
Feb 28, 2007
Conneaut Lake, by Meadville, Pennsylvania

Hi
I was there a couple years ago for an organized hunt consisting of members from several western Pa clubs. There also were people from florida and from the Susquahanna, PA club.

We had a great two days hunting but the really old finds were slim.

The people who live there metal detect constantly. I did find a silver half dollar while water detecting off the beach. It was solid black and had been in there near where the boats are tied up. There were some rings found and a beautiful silver bracelet was found on the hotel grass. Each link was engraved with a prayer and on the obverse side was a station of the cross. Very very old and in great shape.

We were permitted to hunt the amusement park area around the rides also but we had to be out when the park opened. It took over a year of trying to get permission to have the hunt there.

Anyway it was a great two day outing for me.

Harry

tokenhead

Feb 14, 2006
Erie,PA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
.HOTEL OAKLAND,BEACH,CONNEAUT LAKE PA 1920's
My uncle owned this hotel in the 1960's(early,62,3,4,up to74)had much fun,learned to golf&be a general hoodlum ha ha...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread