Mt Gretna

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Bob Coleman's interest in Mount Gretna far exceeded its importance to the affairs of his sprawling estate. In 1884, he ordered the area at the Mount Gretna station be converted into a recreation park. The floor of the park was cleared and picnic facilities installed among me springs and varied trees and plants. The following year, he invited the Pennsylvania 3rd Brigade to encamp at Gretna and had grounds adjacent to the park cleared. This was to be the summer home of the Pennsylvania National Guard for the next half century. That fall he ordered a dam constructed across Conewago Creek, and by the spring of 1886, Lake Conewago appeared, much as we see it today.

In 1890, Bob invited the Farmer's Encampment to Gretna and made all provisions, including the large building we see there today. A siding from the C & L was run in to the Park. Steam from an engine powered a generator which first lit the Park by electricity in August, 1890. By this time, the crowds drawn to Mount Gretna by the myriad of attractions and its sheer loveliness had swelled to 20,000 and more.

Historic perspective might suggest that all the foregoing was preparation for 1892 - the defining year in Mount Gretna's history. In 1891, dissension over commercial activities arose at the United Brethren camp meeting at Stoberdale. A committee was appointed to seek a new site. When they approached Bob Coleman, his response was instant. He leased them 30 acres across Conewago Creek from the park, cleared the area and gave each cottage owner at Stoberdale $120.00 to erect one at Mount Gretna on the lot of their choice. The lots were 20 feet by 24 feet with intention that they be occupied by tents but by the first camp meeting in August 1892, 100 cottages had been built.

Services that year, and until 1899, were held in an open "temple area." The tabernacle did not appear until 1899.

At the same time, meetings had been held in Lebanon and committees formed to create a Pennsylvania Chautauqua, patterned after that in New York state. Again, Bob Coleman responded generously and the committee chose a site adjacent to the camp meeting grounds, with Old Pinch Road between them. By the time the first Chautauqua was held in July, 1892, a dozen cottages, several public buildings and the Auditorium designed by John Cilley had been erected. The Inn followed in 1898, and the Hall of Philosophy in 1909.

From that first year of 1892, camp meeters and Chautauquans alike embraced Mount Gretna as their summer home, and their stays extended from Memorial Day to Labor Day. And alike they reveled in the intimate, friendly communion which the delightful woodland surroundings engendered. It was inevitable that Mount Gretna would become one of the most charming summer resorts in the Nation, and after World War II, to begin transition to a year-round residential area which is virtually unique.

The Conewago Hotel was built in 1909, and overlooked the Lake until just before World War II. It fell victim to the automobile, the depression and movement of the National Guard encampment to Indiantown Gap

Attachments

• postcard01.jpg
    postcard01.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,431
  • postcard06.jpg
    postcard06.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 769
  • postcard05.jpg
    postcard05.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 955
  • postcard04.jpg
    postcard04.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 779
  • postcard03.jpg
    postcard03.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 729
  • postcard02.jpg
    postcard02.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 821
OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
and

Attachments

• postcard26.jpg
    postcard26.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 736
  • postcard24.jpg
    postcard24.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 729
  • postcard22.jpg
    postcard22.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 749
  • postcard18.jpg
    postcard18.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 3,385
  • postcard17.jpg
    postcard17.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 1,800
  • postcard09.jpg
    postcard09.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 992

coop

Greenie
Apr 2, 2005
I have inquired about this site in the past by asking some of the area detectorists if they had tried to gain permission to hunt there. The answer from eveyone was that they got a big fat NO from the owner. Also, the site is patrolled. One can only imagine the goodies that lay in the ground there.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if I'm not mistaken some of it is State game lands.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Maybe if you all went together as a Club Hunt or something and agreed to give the owner the finds for a museum or something he would let you...............

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Place has ALOT of potential.

SORRY it would take me Hours to
Scan & post all the Pics of
MT GRETNA I have

!!Copy of !!.jpg
!!!!.jpg
!!!.jpg

stgauden

Greenie
Oct 7, 2003
pa
I metal detected at Mt. Gretna Park back in 1992 and found a barber dime and few wheaties. I heard someone got permission to metal detect the beach area back in 1985 and they found several gold coins.

Rich in Central PA

May 28, 2003
Shamokin Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I first became interested in Mt. Gretna, who better to ask than the local Mt. Gretna historian Jack Bitner. I called Jack up and he invited me down to his house in Mt. Gretna, where he showed me his bottle collection you wouldn't beleive. Hundreds of bottles that he dug up from the old Mt. Gretna days. He also used a metal detector there. I bought a copy of his book "Mt. Gretna A Coleman Legacy 1990" gives a thorough detailed account of Mt. Gretna.

I have hunted Mt. Gretna about a dozen times, and so have many others, and it is NOT all off limits to detectorists. There are many areas you can detect, especially the old army parade grounds, the wooded areas, and many others.

Mt. Gretna park is still there, abandoned, and on private property. The fountain is still there as shown in Post Card #9. and so are many other things on the park.

Another area>>>Kauffman Park swimming pool sits abandoned in the woods.

Yes, the rifle range is on State Game Lands but not all of it. You wanna find brass, its all over the place.

Its about a good 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive for me one way. Kind a far, so I kind of gave up on it. That was back in the mid to late 90's.

Yes, I found a lot of military insigna & buttons and coins: indians, some barbers, mercs, and wheaties. My one buddy found a nice Barber Quarter on the old parade grounds.

I was just over Mt. Gretna about 2 weeks ago around mid July, and saw a guy detecting the old parade ground.

I have a 1920's military map of the whole area where all the buildings were, landmarks, racetrack, and other items of interest when it was an army base.............Rich

Mentz

Aug 19, 2007
Lancaster, Pa and Ocean View, De
Detector(s) used
Minelab Elite, Minelab GT, Teknetics T2, Fisher CZ 3D and Fisher 1236 X2
Was checking area 10 years ago

I was at the old burned and colapsed buildings that was all grown up with weeds and brush of the old amusement park when accosted by 2 men in an old pick up truck. They told me this was private property and to get out. I informed them I was looking for a place to detect and asked if I could contact the owners for permission. Was informed this was Eastern Enterprise property and they were the owners. I apologized and stated there were no signs and asked just where their property boundarys were located so I could stay off their property. They just said its all around "here" and would not clairify any further. I decided it was not worth getting arrested over. Drove around and discovered there are cottages and homes everywhere. The beach mentioned is fenced in and very small, there is also a skating rink, all owned by Eastern Enterprizes. The old amusement park is located between the small lake and the skating rink on a gravel road and is small. The old parade ground may also be owned by them. Hope this helps.

Vertumnis

Mar 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rich in Central PA said:
When I first became interested in Mt. Gretna, who better to ask than the local Mt. Gretna historian Jack Bitner. I called Jack up and he invited me down to his house in Mt. Gretna, where he showed me his bottle collection you wouldn't beleive. Hundreds of bottles that he dug up from the old Mt. Gretna days. He also used a metal detector there. I bought a copy of his book "Mt. Gretna A Coleman Legacy 1990" gives a thorough detailed account of Mt. Gretna.

I have hunted Mt. Gretna about a dozen times, and so have many others, and it is NOT all off limits to detectorists. There are many areas you can detect, especially the old army parade grounds, the wooded areas, and many others.

Mt. Gretna park is still there, abandoned, and on private property. The fountain is still there as shown in Post Card #9. and so are many other things on the park.

Another area>>>Kauffman Park swimming pool sits abandoned in the woods.

Yes, the rifle range is on State Game Lands but not all of it. You wanna find brass, its all over the place.

Its about a good 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive for me one way. Kind a far, so I kind of gave up on it. That was back in the mid to late 90's.

Yes, I found a lot of military insigna & buttons and coins: indians, some barbers, mercs, and wheaties. My one buddy found a nice Barber Quarter on the old parade grounds.

I was just over Mt. Gretna about 2 weeks ago around mid July, and saw a guy detecting the old parade ground.

I have a 1920's military map of the whole area where all the buildings were, landmarks, racetrack, and other items of interest when it was an army base.............Rich

Any chance seeing that military map of Mt. Gretna?
Thanks.

crazybee

Apr 22, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the cool info on Mt Gretna

Place has ALOT of potential.

SORRY it would take me Hours to
Scan & post all the Pics of
MT GRETNA I have

View attachment 145192
View attachment 145193
View attachment 145194
Hi im the new owner of the roller rink in Mt Gretna,,now i dont own the building or land but the roller skating part of the rink..I have been looking for stuff to hang on the wall at the rink,that way when people come in the can see the cool history of it.I have been finding some cool stuff,now yes its a big plus if its something to do with the rink itself but anything to do with the gretna itself is cool..anyways i knew about the building being built in 1890 for the farmer`s encampment.i also learned that the roller rink only started in 1930,and that the campment moved to Harrisburg in 1917,that somewhere between that time the building was used a an dance studio .This is what i have not found anything to show this.so with that my question is to all of you anyone know or better yet have any info on this ? also if anyone has any cool stuff they would like to sell that has to do with the rink ,building,or just mt gretna that i could hang on the rink wall let me know,..If your every in Mt Gretna and we are open please stop in my collection is got some cool old stuff ,even a shirt and the org sign of the hockey team played there from 1932 till they say late 40s.and one of 4 org ride on relay game wooden carved hippo.told they used that somewhere from the 60 to late 70...If i ever would get lucky to buy the land the first thing i would do is open it up for a weekend hunt .

doverturtle

Apr 23, 2010
York County, PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon; Garrett AT Pro; Garrett Infinium; XP Deus; Minelab Excalibur 1000
Hi im the new owner of the roller rink in Mt Gretna,,now i dont own the building or land but the roller skating part of the rink..I have been looking for stuff to hang on the wall at the rink,that way when people come in the can see the cool history of it.I have been finding some cool stuff,now yes its a big plus if its something to do with the rink itself but anything to do with the gretna itself is cool..anyways i knew about the building being built in 1890 for the farmer`s encampment.i also learned that the roller rink only started in 1930,and that the campment moved to Harrisburg in 1917,that somewhere between that time the building was used a an dance studio .This is what i have not found anything to show this.so with that my question is to all of you anyone know or better yet have any info on this ? also if anyone has any cool stuff they would like to sell that has to do with the rink ,building,or just mt gretna that i could hang on the rink wall let me know,..If your every in Mt Gretna and we are open please stop in my collection is got some cool old stuff ,even a shirt and the org sign of the hockey team played there from 1932 till they say late 40s.and one of 4 org ride on relay game wooden carved hippo.told they used that somewhere from the 60 to late 70...If i ever would get lucky to buy the land the first thing i would do is open it up for a weekend hunt .

Create a saved search in ebay so if anything comes up related to Mt. Gretna you can purchase it.

smartin73

Jan 19, 2021
Mt. Gretna
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe ask the Ottos if they would allow some detecting around the rink? I live in the Conewago Hill neighborhood very nearby and would love to do some detecting nearby if we can get permission. Also my neighbor is the president of the Historical Society, you might reach out to them for help. Great idea for the rink!

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I apologized and stated there were no signs and asked just where their property boundarys were located so I could stay off their property. They just said its all around "here" and would not clairify any further.

You can probably use the county GIS to find the boundaries. Most counties have them online now; I am not sure about Lebanon county (I think that's where Mt. Gretna is). If not, you can do so at the court house, but that is a pain. I used to do that before we finally got ours online.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread