Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
673a_1_sbl.jpg

Lehigh Gorge State Park. Carbon County

http://www.wildlandspa.org/lrwt/glenonoko_info.html
access area is in an isolated setting, although it's just a few miles from the borough of Jim Thorpe. The beauty of the Lehigh Gorge, a nearby series of waterfalls, and a lovely resort attracted visitors in the latter 1800s. During much of the 1900s, after the hotel was leveled by a fire, the area lay largely unused. Remnants of the old railroad bridge and the "hole-in-the-wall" railroad tunnel are visible above the river level. Its development as a state park -- since 1980 -- has brought new attention to the area.

http://userweb.ccomm.com/sfpayer/CoalR/LehighTwp/Glen Onoko.htm

Harry Packer mansion
Harry%20Packer%20Mansion.jpg

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes Glenn Onoko & Lehigh Gorge state park Can be Hunted.
The Hotel is Burned Down

and once had a Large Park there

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
Where the hotel sat, has eroded into the mountain, there was some visible pieces of wood at one time but I havent been there in awhile. If anyone would be interested in going there I am familiar with all of it. As a kid we would ride our bicycles out the old rail bed to the gorge, what is now paved was the rail bed. There was also a train station out there where I am almost sure the new tracks run through, and on the state game lands side of the area would be where the park was, there are terraced areas throughout up there. Believe it or not, I never MD out there. There is also an area above that area straight up from the hole in the wall where there may or may not have been shacks for workers, that would also be how you would access the old hotel site, by going over the top, or driving through the coalport section of town to the orange gate ;D and the just walkin down to it.

OP
OP
jeff of pa

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a Shame Jeff

I'v only ever seen a Early post card Pic of it.

Looked Like a Great place to hunt

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
If you get down that way the park is pretty nice now, they even tore up the street and relayed all of the brick there and closed it off so no cars can get through.

Thinking back I did do some mding at glen onoko but IMO i was in the wrong places, I was younger and impatient then. I do believe Im gonna make my way over there soon. Anyone wanna go?????? Saturdays looking pretty good right now!!!

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
I walked across the Lehigh River up stream from the hotel with my detector over my head ....and it was an adventure...almost went ass over tea cups a couple of times , but I made it ....anybody watching would know a looney when they see one......like someone else said the hotel literally sat right on the river....there isn't much left ....a little wall...and a few pipes......the river washed away the land right around the hotel.....probably some nice stuff in the river though its tricky current and deep at places .....do you scuba ? .....I detected everywhere I could and on up the side of the mountain......[you might try all the way up at the top of the mountain behind the hotel where it flatens out].....oh I did find one musket ball......nobody thinks my musketball collection is very cool....rats ....aloha Johny mc.

"if the wrecking crew ain't been there you might get lucky"

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
You may wanna be verrrry careful in the river, all kinds of old low head dam remains and junk to get yourself in trouble. Down past the where the hotel sets get pretty deep, and the main current runs towards the mountain through there. On top of the mountain where it flattens out was workers quarters, nothing remains of them from what I remember, I know how to get there without going down through the park. there is also A look out area directly above the old train tunnel, which may or may not have been used in the victorian era. On the other mountain with the falls is all kinds of terraces and stone work. Anyone ever wants to go let me know..

CoilFisher

Jul 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You can get to the site of the Old "Wahneta Hotel" from a parking lot on a hill directly behind it, and walk down an old dirt road.
Do not try crossing the river the currents are horrid and the rocks are the most slippery I haver ever waded (I used to fish it); I have seen some snakes there as well along side the river.

This area was my hobby horse in mid to late 90's.

In 1886, the Onoko Tavern became known as the Wahneta Hotel and was named after an Indian princess.
There used to be a footbridge that spanned the river from the two railroad depots there.
They used to sell ice cream there as well.

mazzy74

Jun 27, 2012
There is an old photo of the glen onoko hotel for sale at black diamond antiques at the schuylkill mall

Cladiator

Jul 11, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last summer my buddy and I found a barber dime in the swamp creek at the hotel and an 1891 Canadian penny burned from the fire.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions