CENTRAL CITY, Dakota Territory

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Congregational Church, Central City 1879
noflash_church.jpg

Maitland

Mar 15, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Detector(s) used
White's Silver Eagle, Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I believe that the church in the first picture is still standing and is located on Main Street, behind the gas station and pizza place, at least it looks pretty similar if it's not the same one. I wish someone would do something with it, instead of letting it sit there and decay! It's probably one of the older surviving buildings in that town. Also, not trying to be smart or anything, but I think that the second picture might actually be of Central City, CO. I don't believe Central City (SD) was ever quite that large in size (though I know it has shrunk down considerably) and I couldn't match any buildings from that picture to anything presently standing. Neat photos though! I've often wondered how close the present-day location of Deadwood Creek (in the Central City area) is in relation to where it ran for millions of years, as I've heard it was moved slightly to the south to make room for the highway.

OP
OP
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Maitland wrote
Also, not trying to be smart or anything, but I think that the second picture might actually be of Central City, CO. I don't believe Central City (SD) was ever quite that large in size (though I know it has shrunk down considerably) and I couldn't match any buildings from that picture to anything presently standing.

The photo is mislabeled, sorry about that; I have removed it.

Happy holidays,
Oroblanco

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions