Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1909 Madison WISCONSIN
Intresting Title. Being 1909 there may be a Few Treasures There.

Sorry I have no Idea Where in Madison,
But the Monument in the Foregound although Draped in a Flag
May help somone ID the Location.

1909 Madison May Day WISCONSIN Photo Postcard RPPC L@@K.jpg

Eupho17

Mar 10, 2007
Jeff, I guarantee you'll never get to detect there, because I know exactly what and where that is.

That, if my research is correct, is the picture of the dedication of the University of Wisconsin's statue of Abraham Lincoln. It is seated at the top of Bascom Hill, which is the heart of the UW campus. The statue honors the Land Grant Act of 1862, which essentially founded the University. In the right frame of the photograph, you can just make out the outline of a building's doorway. That is South Hall, now an office for a number of departments, but originally a dormitory. The picture is whited out, but on the left should be North Hall. Directly behind the statue, and where the photo was taken, is Bascom Hall. This hall holds classrooms and the main administration offices, like those of the Chancellor, Provost, and Dean of Students.

Due to the squareness of the shape underneath the flag, I have to assume that the actual statue of Lincoln seated is not yet in place, but it is just the square pedestal with the dedicatory inscription that is to be unveiled.

At least, I think that's what it is. I might be wrong though. When I get back to Madison next week I'll try and find out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread