Montana Larry 1969 Treasure Hunter

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
National Prospectors Gazette, Vol. 6 No. 1 Aug-Sep 1969 had the following photo of often mentioned Montana Larry Campbell. Karl von Mueller always thought highly of this seasoned treasure hunter.

Karl captioned the photo: "Montana Larry. This is probably the only photograph of the legendary TH'er eve published. His is shown testing the prototype of this Fisher Metalert 70 detector early in 1968".

Can any treasurenet members post information/biography of this secretive gentleman? ???

Attachments

• MontanaLarry1969 KvM friend.jpg
    MontanaLarry1969 KvM friend.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 907

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
died in a fire at his campsite while on the treasure trail if i remember correctly.
regards, siegfried schlagrule

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Siegfried,

I figured you would be the person to know.

Here's a toast to Montana Larry! Larry, I pray you found your Treasure in heaven!

Godspeed.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
His next door neighbor gets on here occasionally and
can add more when he sees this. I never met the man
because he was working west of the Mississippi while
I was working east of the Mississippi. I've heard
about things that he and KvM pulled off for years.
They recovered the silver bullion that was turned into
the Exanimo arrowheads by snowmobile during a blizzard.
siegfried schlagrule

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Nothing like ressurecting a long dead topic. In one of the NPGs, Von Mueller specificly refers to a recovery of some sort of chest he made with Montana Larry and "my friend Ed." He goes on to discuss them all buying new vehicles and describes displaying some gold bars at the Exanimo Establishment. This was in the mid to late 1970s, though he is spekaing of an event that took place "a few years back." I could be imagining things but I got the impression he was describing the rumored LUE recovery from Black Lake.

mdj

May 15, 2011
midwest
Detector(s) used
ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm amazed at so many of the people on this site that knew, worked with, or had some relationship with some of the great treasure hunters of the past. :notworthy:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We owe a lot to people like that he's still searching in the afterlife

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread