Alamo Mine NM.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,262

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
i think i have seen it on some of my maps, this is a old post so let me know if you have found anything out

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
From the Deming Headlight Newspaper, Deming, New Mexico, 12 March 1895, Page 3, First Column

DEMING, NEW MEXICO
Some Pertinent Facts Concerning the Coming Metropolis of the Southwest.
ITS NATURAL ADVANTAGES
Progress of the Irrigation Movement Here -- Surrounded by Mining Camps -- In the Midst of a Great Cattle Range -- The Canaigre Extract Factory -- Best Climate in the World -- Water Proven Almost Chemically Pure -- A Railroad and Commerial Center.

Deming, situated in the extreme south-western portion of Grant County, New Mexico, sprang into existence in 1881, when it marked the point fo the junction of the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railroad system with that of the Southern Pacific, forming the great transcontinental line. The railroad officials and those engaged in the construction of both great systems were prompt to realize the coming importance of the town, and its growth from the very outset was rapid and steady. Since then the Santa Fe branch to Silver City has been built from Deming and the Southern Pacific has been extended to El Paso, there connecting with the G.H. & S.A. and the T.P., so that Deming today is a railroad center of importance, having lines radiating to the north, south, east and west. Another railroad, the North Mexican Pacific, is projected south into Mexico, opening to commerce one of the richest sections of the American hemisphere. Its total mileage will be 1,202 miles and it will extend to Guaymas on the south and Topolobampo on the west. Located to the south of Deming are the Mormon colonies numbering over 10,000 people, the trade of which, as well as many rich mining camps in northern Mexico, comes to Deming.

Deming is in the very midst of a rich agricultural and fruit raising center. Irrigation enterprises are under way for the immediate development of the wonderful resources in this line. The Rio Mimbres Irrigation Company have a plant in operation to the north of Deming and have already reclaimed 2,500 acres. The Deming Land & Water Company have over 5,000 acres immediately surrounding the city, upon which it is preparing to put water. A reservoir of 45,000,000 capacity has already been constructed and a system of water works provided for local use. The city lies in the rich Mimbres Valley, under which flows the submerged Mimbres River. An inexhaustible quantity of water can be obtained at a depth of forty feet. The soil is rich, fertile and readily cultivated. Windmill irrigation for five and ten acre tracts is dotting the country with small farms and gardens which furnish comfortable livings to their owners. It is estimated that there will be 40,000 acres under irrigation in the Mimbres Valley within the next five years.

Deming as a health resort is without equal in the world. Its altitude is about 4,350 feet. The air is dry and bracing. The maximum temperature is 90 degrees and the minimum is 88 (?8) degrees. The ever present breeze from the surrounding mountains so tempers the heat that it is never oppressive. The nights are invariably cool and refreshing. The sun shines 365 days in the year and an invalid may be out doors at all times and seasons. Eminent physicians all over the United States recommend this sectioin as especially adapted for the treatment of consumption, bronchitis, asthma and all pulmonary complications as well as kidney diseases, fever and kindred troubles. The water has been shwon by chemical analysis made by experts in the employ of the A.T. & S.F. Company to be the purest along the entire line of railroad. It is a fact worthy of note that many hundreds of people who come here in the last stages of pulmonary diseases recover in a short time so that they are enabled to engage in business. A project is now on foot for the errection of a large sanitarium here for the treatment of (word unreadable) effected with Phthisis Pulmonahs. Ample hotel and living accomodations can be had at reasonable rates.

Deming is the most important stock shipping point in the southwest, being located in the midst of a range of hundreds of thousands of acres, covered with black and white gamma grass. All the cattle shipments from Mexico are also made from this point.

Surrounding Deming on all sides are mining camps rich in gold, silver, lead, copper, iron and building stone. Principal among these are Cook's Peak, Tres Hermanas, Florida, Georgetown, Central City, Victoria, Hachita, Pyramid and many others. All the trading of these camps is done in Deming. The annual output of Grant County is $1,000,000 in gold and $800,000 in silver.

Deming boasts the only canaigre extract factory in the world. Canaigre, which is now coming into prominence as a substitue for tanning agents formerly in use, abounds on the plans surrounding the city and a large industry has been created in its gathering. At present, Deming has a population of 1500 people. It has a $15,000 school house, employs a coprs of six teachers, and affords educational facilities equal to those anywhere in the east. There are Methodist, Episcopal and Congregational churches, and all the societies incidental thereto, and there are local lodges of Mason, Knights of Phythias, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, Grand Army, Ancient Order of United Workman. Social enjoyments and home comforts are of the best. Business buildings and private dwellings can be had for a reasonable figures.

In this small space it is impossible to eleborate upon the future of Deming. The statements made above, however, speak for themselves and an intelligent reader needs no further proof of the wonderful probabilities of this section. The day is not far distant when Deming is certain to bear that relation to this southwestern country that Denver now holds to the western states -- when it will be a city of thousands of people, with vast, commercial, industrial and railroad interests.

The HEADLIGHT, B.Y. McKeyes, Seaman Field, Gustav Wormser or any business man will be please to furnish more detailed information concerning Deming.

Whereas, on the 11th day of April 1893, Sigmund Lindauer made, executed and delivered to Frank Thurmond, his certain promissory note, in writing, for the sum of Three Thousand Dollars, with interest at rate of 12 per cent per annum, from and after date of said note and payable the 11th day of April, 1894, and Whereas, to secure payment of said note on said 11th day of April, 1893, said Sigmund Lindauer made, executed and delivered to said Frank Thurmond, his deed of mortgage on the following described property to wit:

"An undivided three eights (3/8) interest in the Inez Mining claim, situate in Cook's Peak mining district; an undivided one-eighth (1/8) interest in the E 1/2 of N.E 1/4 Sec 33, tp 28, S Range 9 W; the N E. 1/4 of N E 1/4 of S.E. 1/4 of Sec 33, tp 23, S. Range 9 W; and lot numbered 16 in block numbered (1) in the town of Deming, all of said property being and situate in county of Grant and Territory of New Mexico."

And, Whereas, before its maturity said note and mortgage for full value was sold, delivered and assigned to Helen Lindauer, of the city of Chicago, county of Cook and state of Illinois, and where as, said note, principal and interest remains due and unpaid now.

Therefore, on consideration of the premises aforesaid and of the powers and authority in me vested as the owner, holder and assignee of said note, I, the said Helen Lindauer, will within legal hours of sale, i e at 2:30 pm on Friday, the 12th Day of April, A.D., 1895, in front of the law office of Joseph Boone, in the town of Deming, county of Grant, and Territory of New Mexico, offer all the above described property for sale to the highest and best bidder for cash, the proceeds of said sale to be applied. First, to the payment of expenses of said sale, second, to the payment of said note, principal and interest, and third, remainder to said Sigmund Lindauer, or to his order.

HELEN LINDAUER, by her attorney in fact, JOSEPH BOONE, Deming, New Mexico, March 9, 1895.

(NOTE FROM POSTER: I see Deming made it to the future :) >>> http://www.cityofdeming.org/)

(NOTE FROM POSTER:
Tres Hermanas - A restaurant now serving authentic Mexican Food, in Sacramento, CA. Tres Hermanas means Three Sisters. Also a luxary oceanfront villa on the bay in Santa Cruz. More info on Tres Hermanas Mountains: http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=4258
Here's a link to the mine: http://www.continuumresources.com/en/projects/treshermanas.asp

That is just one I searched (or rathered, googled :))

Don't know if this is anywhere near your wife's stock...but worth checking into.

Wishing you the best.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread