Picture_017_(3).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 457

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Based on the issue date and his age, he would have been born abt 1894. I tried searching for him and I CAN NOT find his name on ANY CENSUS records born in New Hampshire!!!!

I can not access any records relating to the Coast Guard either :(

Here is a link: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/location/location-coast-guard.html

The second row (Discharged, deceased, or retired: 1/1/1898 – 3/31/1998)....

Your request must contain certain basic information for us to locate your service records. This information includes:

The veteran's complete name used while in service
Service number
Social security number
Branch of service
Dates of service
Date and place of birth (especially if the service number is not known).
If you suspect your records may have been involved in the 1973 fire, also include:
Place of discharge
Last unit of assignment
Place of entry into the service, if known.
All requests must be signed and dated by the veteran or next-of-kin.

Now...since you are not next of kin, make a copy of the front and back of the ID Card and send along with a letter. Explain that you found this in a book and you would like to return it to either him or next of kin. They WILL NOT send you next of kin information...however, in your letter, request if they can locate him in the records and if they could forward a letter to next of kin. Supply your address so they may contact you. Let them know you would like to return this ID Card to the family.

You can mail or fax your signed and dated request to the National Archives's National Personnel Record Center (NPRC). Most, but not all records, are stored at the NPRC. Be sure to use the address specified by eVetRecs or the instructions on the SF-180. The locations of military service records for active and retired personnel are listed at Location of Military Service Records.

NPRC Fax Number :
314-801-9195

NPRC Mailing Address:
National Personnel Records Center
Military Personnel Records
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
314-801-0800

Don't worry about the SF-180 form, as you are NOT requesting his records, only that you are trying to locate next of kin. I have done this before, not for Coast Guard, but to locate someone and a letter is fine. I only used the SF-180 form to order my father's and father in law's military records.

I have to head to work now, when I get home, I'll try to do a more indept search. But I am NOT getting anything for William Hartin, Born 1894 in New Hampshire! UGH!!!

Thanks River Rat for letting me know about this thread...I'm just sorry I was not able to locate anything at this moment...but maybe tonight I will find something....I can not even find an obituary!!!!

Good Luck and I will post if I get any information,
Annmarie

PS: Try this link too: http://www.genealogy.com/00000107.html

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
31180775 HARTIN WILLIAM T PROVIDENCE RHODE ISLAND
Bristol County RI Archives Military Records.....Army Enlistees Names ...WWII

This could possibly be a relative.....William Hartin (603) 474-8678 109 Railroad Ave, Seabrook, NH 03874

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
ok...home from work....

I'm wondering...maybe his birthplace is where he was living, but not actually born there?

Gypsy...I found lots of William Hartin's...but none from New Hampshire....I'll start looking at other places in that locale to see what I can find....

He should be on the 1900, 1910, 1920 and 1930 census, however, not sure if he was in the military. Being a Blacksmith, according to his ID Card...I may have luck looking at census records for the occupation of any and all William Hartin's I find...wow...there are alot too!

I just can't find any records on Coast Guard...:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread