Civil War Photo Albumn

Lindac

Sep 22, 2008
I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this album I have. It says on one of the pages that "this photo album belonged to Captain McDowell in the Civil War". They are not referring to Irving McDowell the famous General though. There is one photograph in it that was signed "yours truly, Thomas Ellood Rose". I looked up his information and found that he was a General and was in some of the more known battles. I searched and searched but could not find a photograph on the internet anywhere. So....is this a photograph that would be valuable or wanted really bad by Civil War collectors? I have 144 photographs in the albums with about 1/2 being photo's of soldiers in uniform and 4 are holding a weapon. Many are signed in ink and some have the stamps on the back and the photographer's information. One if the photographs is of Horace Greeley and it is also singed and the "Go west......" quote is written on it also. There are several women in the album also. One more thing that is interesting is that there are actually a few pictures of some of the Generals but I find them all over the internet so there must be many of them but there is one of Grant that I have never seen before. I will just bet that it is not rare but it is pretty cool. So..... Does anyone have any ideas or any advice for me? My grandfather's mother died when he was only 2 years old and he was raised by foster parents, the Van Camp's. The album belonged to them and it has been handed down to me even though I was born many years after they had passed away. I don't have any plans for the album right now but I would like to hear any comments. I know that there are many of these types of Civil War era photo albums out there and some owners sell high quality copies to those who want a copy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread