Civil War era portraits, Hawkinsville, GA

Obscurist

Jan 14, 2009
Asheville, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Just scanned a copy of some lovely images a distant cousin of mine was so good to share a couple of years ago. These enlargements show some great detail of my great-great grandfather's sister and brother-in-law, Emeline Matilda Pollock and David Gray McCormick.

They were married in Hawkinsville, Pulaski County, Georgia in 1864. I wonder if the photo of Emeline may have been taken on their wedding day... or earlier. She is not wearing a ring in the photo, but I'm not sure if dageurrotype images are reversed so that what would seem to be her left hand in this image is actually her right?

I enjoy seeing the cameo/silhouette brooch she is wearing and what appears to be a key on a long neck chain which hangs to her waist.

What can anyone say about her fashion? Just beautiful, and I am lucky to have these ancient family photos as I was told that her granddaughter's home was vacant for some time after her death with her belongings stored there. Vandals/thieves ransacked the place and when the family went in to clean up these glass images were on the floor! One step by the intruders and these would have been lost.

Confederate service info for D.G. McCormick of Georgia would also be appreciated.

Attachments

• mccormicks.jpg
    mccormicks.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 1,090
  • emelines.jpg
    emelines.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 1,609

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the opportunity to view your Rellies, as we might call them here, in NZ :icon_thumleft:
You have to ask your/my/self :icon_scratch:
Did the photographer say? Go for your Gun! ;D
and is his cousin displaying all her treasured jewelry at once?

Awesome pics.

If only they could talk.
Cheers, Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread