NEED HELP WITH OLD PHOTO IDENTIFICATION ... (Famous Person ?)

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
~ When Imaginations Run Wild ~

I recently purchased this old hand colored photograph because I thought the individual looked familiar. I even allowed my imagination to run wild and thought it might be one of the oldtime outlaw/lawmen like Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Robert Ford. But the more I researched it, the more it became evident that just about anyone who wore a mustache back in the 1800s looked a little bit like Wyatt Earp or any number of other individuals. So this is why I need your help. If you recognize the individual in the photo, please let me know. It may just be a nobody gentleman. But then again, it may be someone famous. I really don't know. The most fantasized person I could come up with that even came close in resemblence is Harry Longbaugh ... a.k.a. The Sundance Kid of Butch Cassidy and "The Hole In The Wall Gang." But I'm sure it's just my imagination playing tricks on me.

The photograph measures 18" x 14" - Hand colored (unfinished) - Brittle and tarnished backing board w/ chipping around the edges - Has unreadable pencil writing at top center - Appears to be 1800s. In the upper left corner it is penciled with what appears to be Mal No 6. There is nothing on the back side.

The picture at the very bottom is of The Sundance Kid.

Thanks for stopping by. Hopefully someone will be able to identify this guy. Especially if he happens to be someone famous.

SBB

Attachments

• Old Photo - Unidentified 001 (570x700).jpg
    Old Photo - Unidentified 001 (570x700).jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 871
  • Sundance Kid a.k.a. Harry Longbaugh.jpg
    Sundance Kid a.k.a. Harry Longbaugh.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,681
OP
OP
SODABOTTLEBOB

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Mack ~

Here's the close up. The best I can come up with is ...

" ess (mark/slash) Lain (gap) ive # 6 same as
binerz sent (gap) with -

The penciling is on a seperate piece of paper glued to the cardboard backing.

If you can make sense of it, please let me know.

Thanks.

SBB

Attachments

• Old Photo - Unidentified - Close Up of penciling 007 (700x158).jpg
    Old Photo - Unidentified - Close Up of penciling 007 (700x158).jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 756

3bead

Tenderfoot
Dec 3, 2012
Arlington, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would need the photo, and several weeks to be certain, but judging from this - not him. Not really even close.
See my other post for information about the taker of the Wild Bunch photo. I have an exhibit on May 11th at the Ft. Worth Public Library that should be some indication of my expertise in these matters.
Adam R. Smith

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can not say where ,,,, but I've seen that portrait somewhere before ??????

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you compare the shape of the earlobes, and the forms; along with the shape of the nostrils, you'll see that the two photos are of the same man.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Sawyer is right, it's Butch Cassidy

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe this is Butch Cassidy. I've seen photos of Cassidy and his jaw line was waaaay wider and heavier than this guy's.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bottom photo is Harry Alonzo Longabaugh - better known as the Sundance Kid.

Sundance Kid Biography - Facts, Birthday, Life Story - Biography.com

But, for the top photo - you can probably assume that is was taken after 1861, since that is when photography first started to be colorized from black and white or sepia photos. That face does look familiar, though. :-)

Mrs.O

Last edited:

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Not so, Mrs. O, on "colorizing." In the case of daguerreotypes, it began soon after their invention in 1839.

"In an attempt to create more realistic images, photographers and artists would hand-colour monochrome photographs. The first hand-coloured daguerreotypes are attributed to Swiss painter and printmaker Johann Baptist Isenring, who used a mixture of gum arabic and pigments to colour daguerreotypes soon after their invention in 1839.[2] Coloured powder was fixed on the delicate surface of the daguerreotype by the application of heat. Variations of this technique were patented in England by Richard Beard in 1842 and in France by Étienne Lecchi in 1842 and Léotard de Leuze in 1845. Later, hand-colouring was used with successive photographic innovations, from albumen and gelatin silver prints to lantern slides[3] and transparency photography.

Parallel efforts to produce coloured photographic images had an impact on the popularity of hand-colouring. In 1842 Daniel Davis Jr. patented a method for colouring daguerreotypes through electroplating,[4] and his work was refined by Warren Thompson the following year. The results of the work of Davis and Thompson were only partially successful in creating colour photographs and the electroplating method was soon abandoned. In 1850 Levi L. Hill announced his invention of a process of daguerreotyping in natural colours in his Treatise on Daguerreotype." Hand-colouring of photographs.

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
View attachment 853675

SBB,
I set the scale to the eyes and superimposed one on top of the other. If these are the same men, your image was done years earlier. The jaw is thicker and shoulders wider than your image which can be explained with age. But look at the ear... not the lobe but the anthelix. This shape does not change with age and it looks to be a dead match. Very close. Have you looked closely at the ties? Hope it helps.

Seadog72

Mar 29, 2014
Stewart County, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Other
Realizing this thread is ancient, I ran both photos through TinEye. It's an excellent resource, you'll be pleased with the results: TinEye.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions