Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few years ago I stopped into one of my local church thrift stores that I frequent and hanging on the wall with the artwork was this photo. It was priced at $45 and I knew immediately that I HAD to own it. I couldn't take my eyes off of it. it is in absolute mint condition too! This photo gives off so much energy and is truly one of my favorite treasures that I own.

This is a digital pic of the photo behind glass. It's approx 18" wide x 14" high (just guessing because the photo is at home). The bottom right corner of the photo is embossed with the name of the photo studio in St. Paul, MN which is no longer there. (Harding Studio if I remember correctly)

I believe that someone had passed away and their belongings were donated to the thrift store. All the tag read was $45 - "turn of the century photo, u of m football team". I've emailed a few people to inquire about what exact year the photo is but I haven't had any luck. I even emailed Ross Bernstein who has written many books on Minnesota sports and he had no clue. Everyone is basically telling me to go to the U and check out the photos they have to see if there's a match. I would also like to know everyone's name so I can figure out if any of them went on to be professional ball players. I haven't worked on it for a while but I'll get back on it.

Any guesses on the year? My uneducated guess is late 1800's? The equipment is probably the biggest clue but I don't know much about football gear or when certain things were used. The throat protectors may be a clue as well. I love the fact that none of them have matching uniforms. Gotta love the hair as well.

Maybe I'll start researching photos of past coaches. Something I haven't done yet.

Enjoy! - WIT

Attachments

• football.JPG
    football.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 3,552
OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mackaydon said:
Could the pic be that of a rugby team not fully uniformed?

That's quite possible.

Be it rugby or football. I believe that these were their uniforms due to the fact that it's a professionally shot photo. If you were going into the studio for a team photograph I would think that everyone would want to look their best. I would also think that if they had matching uniforms they would have worn them?

Seeing what appears to be the coach and assistant coach in suits also gives me the impression that these were their actual uniforms.

That's just my take on it.

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
i really doubt it is Rugby. I have never seen that much protective gear in any vntage pics and when I played we had basically none. Here is a pic of a high school football team of the period with a few players wearing the same device.
MNthiefriverfalls-fbteam1908r.jpg

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOLD1960 said:
Lake Calhoun 1920's

I really like that photo since I spend so much time around the lakes and live just a few blocks from there. Thanks for sharing!

p.s. Did you post 2 pics? I'm seeing a red X at the top

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ramitt said:
Mackaydon said:
Could the pic be that of a rugby team not fully uniformed?
No, pretty sure with the helmets and protective gear it is very early football. what are those things around a couple of the guys necks?

edit here is a pic of Wisconsin's 1903 team,
Wisconsin1903FootballTeam.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wisconsin1903FootballTeam.jpg
Mackaydon said:
I saw them as throat protectors, that's why I wrote rugby, a game where I believe such a device was worn.
http://www.lvua.org/id13.html
Ramitt said:

Thanks for figuring this out, guys! I have never seen one of those “devices” before and someone mentioned to me that it may be a throat protector and I figured that their guess was as good as mine so…
Now that we have the Rugby –vs- Football mystery figured out, I’d really like to date the photo. (hopefully to the exact year)
I’m sure that usage of those masks is a start but that probably still leaves me with a 10-15 year window?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread