alaska

GMD52

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2013
Lake Champlain, Vt.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC, that was truly an interesting site, and well worth the visit. One of my clients husband was served in this theater in WW2, and I'm going to show her the post, I'm sure that she will enjoy seeing it. They revisited Alaska, and the Aluetions several times, and has collected many artifacts, and Native Am. art from the region.Thanks again.

OP
OP
pippinwhitepaws
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
most forgotten battle front in WWII...google earth the island of attu an kiriska....just left everything an everyone...in situ.
a friend was a mechanic on P-38 "Spirit of America" on ATTU...
...I spent the last two years of his life making sure he turned off the stove an didn't get to the car keys...

this man would sit on the front porch in flagstaff, az, blizzard conditions...in a t-shirt an jeans...and loved it.
damn cold living in that house...

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When I was about 19 yrs. old, in about 1981, I got to work a summer in the fishing industry, in "Unalaska, Alaska", in the Aleutians. I still vividly remember the abandoned WWII baracks, and drooled wishing I had my metal detector. Because no one on the island (at that time) had a metal detector. And I remember a WWII era abandoned baseball field, with backstop slowly fading away, but still recognizable as a baseball field. Also on the island I was on, the Russians had been there since the early 1800s, for fur-trade/pelts. So there was an abandoned yet preserved Russian Orthodox church, with little yard surrounding it, that also had me salivating.

OP
OP
pippinwhitepaws
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I use google earth on the islands ...things lying all over the place...subs, aircraft... bunkers...housing...

if one reads up on the battles, you can see the emplacements, and know who was there at the time...

spooky...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats crazy but good read

Top Member Reactions