Civil war veterans at Gettysburg anniversary in 1913 (via "The Guardian")

yaxthri

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
As you know 1-3 July marks the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg, so here's an article in the British "Guardian" with some interesting photos of the 50th anniversary with the medal decorated veterans in uniform... I really liked them, probably many of you have seen them often before, I'll share them anyway...

handshake-002.jpg

Latest US news, world news, sport and comment from the Guardian | guardiannews.com | The Guardian

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing the photos! I wonder if any of them could have been my' Great Great Grandfather Andrew or his' brother Alfred! From what I have been able to find, they both fought at and survived Gettysburg on the Confederate side then after coming home and suffering much discourse, they both went on to fight in the Indian Wars out West. It is sometimes ironic, considering that Andrew's son (my' Great Grandfather), Reubin, married a full-blooded or near full-blooded Cherokee woman and my' other Great Grandfather on my Dad's side of the family, also married a full blooded or near full-blooded Cherokee woman!

Frank

grlangfitt

Mar 29, 2013
Powhatan, Va
Detector(s) used
BH 505
AT Pro
Pro PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Geez....I am such a civil war buff. I would have loved to just sit down with some of these men and listen to some of the stories they would tell. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. When I am out swinging in any area that seen fighting, I can see the soldiers scrambling through the woods and the thickets. My minds eye really wanders during my time in the field. Must be the veteran in me.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
grlangfitt,
You still have the opportunity; regretfully, for only a short number of years, to sit down with a WW II vet and listen to his story.
Don.......

Yep! I had the privilege and and honor to not only meet and shake his' hand but also to speak with at some length, Robert Hanson, the last surviving member of the Memphis Belle probably in the summer of 2005. He happened to come by my' tables at the Great Smoky Mountain Flea Market & Craft Fair in Kodak, Tennessee while he was vacationing. Sadly, Mr. Hanson who was the Radio Operator on the Memphis Belle, passed away shortly thereafter, I believe on Saturday, October 1st in 2005!

Frank

stlcardinalsfan

Jul 4, 2013
southeast missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
Geez....I am such a civil war buff. I would have loved to just sit down with some of these men and listen to some of the stories they would tell. Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. When I am out swinging in any area that seen fighting, I can see the soldiers scrambling through the woods and the thickets. My minds eye really wanders during my time in the field. Must be the veteran in me.

was taped when mr julius was 101 fought for the south, was captured th enight lincoln was shot.
very amazing video

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting the video of the confederate soldier. his accent sounds more like maine....not southern at all. Interesting.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool video. Never listened to a first hand account before.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As you know 1-3 July marks the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg, so here's an article in the British "Guardian" with some interesting photos of the 50th anniversary with the medal decorated veterans in uniform... I really liked them, probably many of you have seen them often before, I'll share them anyway...

View attachment 823023

Latest US news, world news, sport and comment from the Guardian | guardiannews.com | The Guardian

Thanks for the post!
I posted the same picture, elsewhere on this forum recently, but I had no information on it to give.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread