Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing pictures would be a dream to visit that place. I've always wanted to since the 80s when I was a kid and saw that place in the Movie "Cant buy me love" Also in the movie "My science project"

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics! Sadly I bet those are long gone. the bone yards were never supposed to be permanent storage so the planes were stripped of parts to keep others flying until completely phased out and then were destroyed or patched up enough to become target drones.

I was at a weapons testing location a few years go, where they had dozens of F4 fighters lined up, waiting to be the subject of the next anti-aircraft warhead test. They also had a scrap yard with the shredded remains of the prior victims.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's sad. I guess now we enjoy these relics containing our beers and sodas.

Last edited:

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice job! First pics I've seen of the Lockheed Warningstar in navy livery

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos, a lot of history there, but cant help wondering how much money
was spent on production, and then again on packaging!

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love this shot that has the outlines/stickers of the SR-71 blackbird on it. In 1968 it couldn't have been out that long and I'm sure was still very secret. Maybe those stickers are for successful refueling missions? Its not for how many it shot down, because that number was ZERO! :)

sr-71.jpg

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe that is an RB-47 variant for photo and signals recon. It probably indicates missions flown over or near hostile territory, such as cold war adversaries.

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, talk about memory lane, thank you Tamrock! In the early 90"s I worked for an aerial fire fighting company who made many an air tanker from the ghost fleet. Looked just about the same when I was there as compared to the photos. In the off season from firefighting we would go down there and get planes and parts from Davis-Monthan. Mostly C-54 (DC-4) and P2-V's. Good times, alot of the time we would work all night and sleep in the day to avoid the heat. There are still a few hulls out at the airport that didn't get converted, would be interesting to go write down the tail numbers and compare them to your photos to see if there might be a match.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great photos ! Thanks for posting ! My dad was a jet engine mech. USAF and worked on the Northrop F-89J Scorpion.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to look through those planes wow

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000aaa.jpg

000bbb.jpg

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Impressive hardware! Those planes are beautiful to look at. Like vintage cars. Awesome photos!

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Great photos ! Thanks for posting ! My dad was a jet engine mech. USAF and worked on the Northrop F-89J Scorpion.

My father worked on the electronics on them in Iceland. Told me about having to crawl into the "hell hole".

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
My father worked on the electronics on them in Iceland. Told me about having to crawl into the "hell hole".

Ya, almost every airplane has a hell hole. The B-47 wasn't half bad. It was used mainly to access the bomb bay (think Doctor Strangelove) Cool place in there where I could stand up and look out a window. It was for using a sextant if things got that way. Like avionics failures.
I was on the small side so I was elected to go in hell holes even when I was working civilian airplanes.. Plus I liked enclosed places.I went from hell holes to caves.
The B-47 was a hot rod. Very maneuverable and if you know pilots, irresistible to "give er the gun".
The drop tanks were large and looked perfect for building a party barge. Drop tanks of a bit smaller were made into race cars used at Bonneville for land speed attempts. I think they came from P-40's or P-51's. Can't recall.
In 1960 I was trained on B-52's. It's hard to believe that plane is still in service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread