OKC Treasure Show 1974 - Prominent figures

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
I was born in 1974, and while that year specifically isn’t noteworthy where treasure hunting is concerned, the era it occurs in certainly is.

I’ve often thought that treasure hunting has changed a lot since what seems like a high point in the late 1960s and the early 1970s. I’ve recorded nearly 2 pages worth of metal detector manufacturers during this time period, not to mention the sheer number of printed material that was available through published books, magazines and newspapers. Treasure clubs were very popular, as were a multitude of specific artifact types as individuals sought to collect barb wire, porcelain insulators, bottles, and a limitless supply of other artifacts, relics, and byproducts of American history. Ghost Town hunting was catching on in a big way, as was Beachcombing, Prospecting and Small Mine Operations. This same time period brought us the curious phenomena of “celebrities” in the treasure hunting field from all walks of life who gained notoriety for their work, the knowledge they shared, and their larger than life personalities.

The Oklahoma City Treasure Show at Shepherd Mall was perhaps one of the largest monuments to the hobby of treasure hunting, and contributed to the “celebrity” of known personalities, while generating an exciting, almost carnival-like atmosphere to the hobby. By no means the only show of its type, the Oklahoma City show was larger than life and brought to the public conscience an awareness of what was otherwise a peculiar undertaking: Treasure Hunting (in all its forms and sub-types). Part trade show, part flea market, part museum, the Oklahoma Treasure Show offered an unusual glimpse on a grand scale into the otherwise mysterious world of treasure hunting, and in the process made known treasure hunters, authors, editors, and manufacturer owners well known figures - in and out of the hobby.

I occasionally run across articles and photos of these types of events, and today I ran across a fantastic photo from the 1974 OKC show featuring some really big names from that time period. I also found a newspaper advertisement for this show that evoked a sense of nostalgia and longing for that time period. Just look at the photo below, keeping in mind that not pictured but in attendance were also personalities such as Karl von Mueller, Roy Lagal, Bob Grant, Roy Roush, and L.L. “Abe” Lincoln.

OKC Treasure Show -TR Sept 1974.jpg

OKC 1974 Advertisement.jpg

Attachments

• OKC Treasure Show -TR Sept 1974.jpg
    OKC Treasure Show -TR Sept 1974.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 127

mikefromIllinois

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2008
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-3D
Thanks for the look back. I started detecting back in 1972 when I was 16. Had a Frontiersman by Relco ( still have it). I am really surprised I stuck with it using that metal detector. I don't think it could find a manhole cover at 2inches. When I was 11-12yrs. old my grandad use to get True West and Frontier Times Mag. I used to pour over the treasure stories and ads for all the different metal detectors. Why I choose a Relco is beyond me. I guess because it took up a whole page at the time. Man how the years go by.

TTTeller

Mar 21, 2021
North America/ UK
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the look back. I started detecting back in 1972 when I was 16. Had a Frontiersman by Relco ( still have it). I am really surprised I stuck with it using that metal detector. I don't think it could find a manhole cover at 2inches. When I was 11-12yrs. old my grandad use to get True West and Frontier Times Mag. I used to pour over the treasure stories and ads for all the different metal detectors. Why I choose a Relco is beyond me. I guess because it took up a whole page at the time. Man how the years go by.

Mahan and Hard- ... IAYAYAM example?
Or out of place for a reason?

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I met some of those guys when I was a kid at a few big treasure hunts in New England :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread