Eastern Oregon Outback

Oregonjohn

Greenie
Jan 16, 2009
Greetings.

Am wondering if anyone here has been out searching for/finding some of the many military camp sites from the 1860s and 1870s in the Eastern Oregon area?

Am gettin' my act started to get a metal detector and GPS to get out and look.

Has anyone had any successes in finding much out there as far as relics. Am not going after gold, but old artifacts.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Oregonjohn

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I just recently started doing some research in that area, have not been out at all.....zero stinkin degrees last night when I went to bed and not much higher during the day lol If I do come across anything I will surely post something

OP
OP
O

Oregonjohn

Greenie
Jan 16, 2009

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Thanks so much for the suggested reading material. I am slowly but surely building up my library related to this area and treasure hunting books. I will see if my guy I get books from has those as I am trying to get a few from him on a regular basis. If I can't get them from him I will look at other options to get them as I think they would be great ones to add to my library. Thanks a ton!! :icon_study: :icon_study: :icon_study:

trippleg3

Greenie
Dec 26, 2008
pilot rock, oregon
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado
yes, my sister and I have hunted the old military site Fort Warner near Plush Oregon. We found cavalry buttons, lots of bullets, and mule shoes. This fort is found on private land and now there is a historical marker set up that the owners allowed the state to install and under oregon law this is now illegal to detect at or remove any artifacts. Bummer ??? :-\

OP
OP
O

Oregonjohn

Greenie
Jan 16, 2009
Hey Trippleg3, an absolute bummer indeed. :icon_scratch: Too bad such a site is now posted...I would guess that just a few in 100,000 folks even know about the sites and many fewer of each 100,000 has ever attempted to find and visit any of those sites. I envy your finds there and hope, someday, to get out and look around on my own at at least some of those historic places.
Good Hunting!
Oregonjohn

DFXtraveler

Tenderfoot
Dec 4, 2008
I spent alot of time in the mountains outside of cove la grande and baker mining for gold when I was alot younger. I know of several very interesting sites there. several home sites. I am not sure of the age I have not been back there in over 15 years. but I do remember square nails on most of these sites. I will be heading to these areas as soon as the snow melts off this spring. a couple of the sites will be a very tough hike and a couple are very easy to get to. I do not know of any millitary sites in the area but there are mining camps. if you need someone to go with or need help let me know. I have 4x4 and a 4x4 four wheeler. I will look through my library to see what I can find for you on the military camps.

krautstyle

Jun 27, 2012
Eastern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is a VERY OLD post ... But !!!! Im in La Grande

Im in La Grande and I am new to the site...
Been Married into a Gold Mining family (Recreation) for 15 years now..

I have a Garrett Gti 2500 and I just got back from greenhorn (Baker County) with 11 Rail Spikes from a Mining Rail system!!!

Id love to look for more relics in and around La Grande , Union, Cove etc... I can hike

ANY Takers???

Let me know...

J.T

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
trippleg3, why is it illegal to detect on that private land? Simply because the owner allows a historic plaque there? That doesn't change it from still being private. I've hunted at private property with plaques on them, in CA (with owners permission) and not had any problems, or run into owners who thought that the plaque somehow "controlled" them. So you might want to check out this notion, that a plaque (even if issued from the state) somehow wrests control of the land from the owner. I mean, especially incidental things like metal detecting. I could understand that codes *do* control private property, for some things (like if I wanted to put neon Nazi signs on my house that can be seen for miles, or if I wanted to add on a 2nd story, I have to get a building permit, etc...). But metal detecting? If that's what the owner told you, perhaps they are the ones who are mistaken.

backup1911

Greenie
May 1, 2013
Redmond, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett Pro Pointer, White's QXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Central Oregon and have spent a lot of time in the Desert South and East of Bend...The northern corner of the great basin. Over the years I have found and explored many historic sites way off the beaten path. Stone homesteads, indian sites, homestead era townsites, moonshine still sites, military camps etc. Mostly over the years I was just exploring and hunting. I've read a lot about the early history when the military was tasked with suppressing indian activities and exploring and mapping the region. I spent time reading about events, and then would go out and search for (and sometimes discover) the sites. When I first started exploring the most remote country many homesteads and townsites still had standing structures. Over the years most all of the buildings have collapsed so now most wouldn't even know they were there. I recently picked up a metal detector (and just joined this forum). I've caught the bug for sure. A friend and I went out last weekend and detected the site of a military/indian skirmish that is on a ranch that some friends of mine own. I had discovered the site years ago. We found several large caliber rimfire shell casings, a brass button, a nice complete arrowhead, and a couple of broken points. Nothing too impressive but it's just amazing to know a piece of history, and then find the actual evidence of what unfolded.

Basically if you drive out east of Bend on Hwy 20 until you get past Millican and Pine Mountain you will be in country that is full of indian, early military, and homestead era history. If you get off the highway and start following two track dirt roads there is a lot to discover.

Basically I only know 1 other person who is interested in this type of thing and we don't get much time to explore together. I'm looking forward to hopefully connecting with some other folks in my area who share the interest.

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
East of Bend?? Great!! It is all BLM, you take nothing or it is owned by big land owners( thousands of Acers) that will get you for trespassing before you get out of your car.

backup1911

Greenie
May 1, 2013
Redmond, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett Pro Pointer, White's QXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
East of Bend?? Great!! It is all BLM, you take nothing or it is owned by big land owners( thousands of Acers) that will get you for trespassing before you get out of your car.

All I can say for sure is that if you don't ask...you are absolutely certain not to get permission to hunt anywhere.

jtomlinson

Jan 3, 2013
Newport
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75, Garret pro pointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try the four corners area out past Prineville The back way to Bend!!!! I have seen some cool stuff come out of there.

earlylight

Sep 24, 2013
Try the four corners area out past Prineville The back way to Bend!!!! I have seen some cool stuff come out of there.

Hello I am new at this , whole idea and need to know if I sent a picture of some rocks to some one could help me identify.

lcoutback

Tenderfoot
Mar 29, 2014
Lakeview, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all... Where have you been all my metal detecting life? LOL

I live in Lakeview, and plan on spending some quality time in the 'Outback' this summer. It's MUCH more interesting swapping stories around the campfire with folks that have similar interests.

There is just too much history in the desert to over look...

:) Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions