Garrett AT Gold
Teknetics Gold Bug
White's "Mr. Bill modified" Classic IDX
Teknetics Eurotek Pro 8" coil
Teknetics Eurotek Pro 11" coil
XP MI6 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What is the average depth everyone is getting on coins in the Portland area? What do you consider to be a deep coin? How do coins get so deep (I regularly dig zincs at 6") so fast? I read about dimes dug at 10" - 12", I have never dug, seen anyone else dig a coin that deep here. ???

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'm guessing soil conditions in Eugene would be similar to Portland here, but I suspect its the rich loamy topsoil we have here. Coins sink quick in it and I bet the fact that the soil is very loose from 3000+ inches of rain a year has something to do with it too, lol! :wink:

I've dug new cents at 8+inches, and 150 year old coins at only 2 inches where the soil was hardened clay and full of roots. I'm thinking if the area has a squishy feel to it when you're detcting, you shouldn't count on old finds. And if its nice and firm, count on a hard dig to get the goodies. :)

mlw67

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2006
Portland, OR
Coins do sink quickly in the soil around Portland.

That said, we have a rocky clay substrate underneath our topsoil that stops coins from sinking below it. In much of Portland, this layer is not more than about 6" deep, sometimes more, sometimes less.

In other words, in most parts of Portland the old coins won't be much deeper than about 6" deep, and they will get to that level fairly quickly. But if you dig down and don't hit that rocky substrate, the coins can be much deeper. The coins will go as deep as the soil will let them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread