Forest Service Historical Site Markings

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow this is an amazingly lame thread...hey, I use hot pink surveyor's tape to mark hot spots, wonder if anyone ever wondered about THAT after I finished...

In fact, many of my favorite spots had a whole rainbow of markers, most of which turned out to be college students researching bird life styles. Now, back to the original question (ignoring the self-righteous metal detecting forum gestapo)...NO CLUE on the origin or color system of markers, even asking the park service proper may lead nowhere, they may not even be aware of the markers...meaning people use public lands for a WIDE range of perfectly legal activities.

I DO give someone else's markers a wide berth, maybe it's JUST a trail marker, but maybe it's someones thesis research location...just a respect thing, plenty of room to swing.

Ask whatever governing body is in charge of the land what the red markers are for. It's likely they'll have no clue what you're talking about.

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GunRunner said:
Thanks - I could probably get out there yet this summer and check it out. So when did the Sissorville/Mayflower site get wiped out!! I read your post on that. I used to spend a lot of time out in that area but it has been a few years. How about the other site just down the road - I believe it was named the Liberty Mine? That was the one that also had a few outbuildings as well as a stamp mill that stood for many years but then finally fell down. You may know the one I am talking about - there used to be the remains of an old army truck laying down there - if you were there you would remember that. It too was on Ochoco Creek not far from the mine on the left with the old "hotel" looking building near the log cabin right off of 26.

GunRunner:
The Sisserville site was removed last year sometime.I have only been there twice,was told by the US Forest Service that there was another site up another Rd, from the ranger station that is near the bottom of the main Rd,I have not been able to get back to see that one.Might be the one you are referring to. On another note,The ribbon that you saw was more than likely a temporary survey marker.I live on the west coast in Oregon,there is a ribbon on almost every tree around here do to all the logging,Rd building,Timber sale markings. I would think a ribbon rapped around a rock with a letter on it would not be a significant historical marker.You could contact the US Forest Service in Prineville and ask them they might know.GOOD LUCK

OP
OP
G

GunRunner

Mar 7, 2004
LaPine, OR
Actually the site I am referring to is farther up the road and not far from Big Summit Prarie. I'll probably have to take a ride out there and see what has taken place.

maxjax

Jan 12, 2009
Oregon coast
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt, Garret 1350
lostcauses said:
plehbah good catch.

I wounder if just saying possibly 10 years in jail and an ungodly fine, confiscation of all vehicles used to transport and any other equipment; Not counting the legal fees involved if caught: for such would get the point across.

Personally I believe all post like this should stay. It has a logged IP and if the feds need such, well there it is.
Maybe lock em and move them to a form just for such saving.
That would be good for this site to be useful to the feds law enforcement.
The date on the original post is Posted on: Jul 12, 2009.
The site could already be looted and this post could be the key to finding the person who did it.

Just some thoughts on such behavior.

Wow, you people scare me... with out asking one question, you have condemned a fellow MD to 10 years, so much for mentoring or debate, lets just capture his IP so we can report him to the FEDs, he wasn't grave robbing, he was curious about a trash dump.

I see now why this state is closed tight.

Quaker Oats, the Archeology societies find of a century.

and those are my thoughts on this subject.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I was detecting the site of an old campground, in the Stanislaus National Forest, here in CA, about 15 yrs. ago. A ranger truck just *happened* to be passing by on the little used dirt road into this back-country area. He stopped when he saw me. At first, he said I couldn't be doing that, or something to that effect. After some casual conversation, he changed his tune to: "Ok, you can do that, but only for new losses. If you find anything older than 50 yrs. old, you need to bring it by the ranger's station" He then smiled and left. He never gave me a # to call, or the location of the ranger station :dontknow:

So if I understood him correctly, md'ing is allowed in national forests (at least this one, and at least at that time), but you just can't keep 50+ yr. old items (at which point, it's up to your math skills, eh? :tongue3: )

maxjax

Jan 12, 2009
Oregon coast
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt, Garret 1350
Tom_in_CA said:
I was detecting the site of an old campground, in the Stanislaus National Forest, here in CA, about 15 yrs. ago. A ranger truck just *happened* to be passing by on the little used dirt road into this back-country area. He stopped when he saw me. At first, he said I couldn't be doing that, or something to that effect. After some casual conversation, he changed his tune to: "Ok, you can do that, but only for new losses. If you find anything older than 50 yrs. old, you need to bring it by the ranger's station" He then smiled and left. He never gave me a # to call, or the location of the ranger station :dontknow:

So if I understood him correctly, md'ing is allowed in national forests (at least this one, and at least at that time), but you just can't keep 50+ yr. old items (at which point, it's up to your math skills, eh? :tongue3: )

I have shoes older than that... :laughing9:

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jef: unfortunately the US people; have been sufficiently indoctrinated to not to question the intelligent intent of any bureaucracy act or law. They just accept.

The 50 year clause is patently ridiculous in so far as Archaeological value goes, since we have many people that were mature at that period and can fully answer any questions that might arise, plus tons of books since the 1800's.

The 50 year clause means that I cannot go back to many of my old camp sites and use them again since some of my old cans may still be intact. Yes, now I bury them, even if most didn't then.

Basically what it actually amounts to, is job security for the mass of budding Archaeologists that have overwhelmed the job market for their skills.

An example is by the use of my favorite hero, ME, as swr loves to say. I have found a lost, dim, legend, the Mines of Tayopa. They were lost in the 1630s'. The search took over 50 years. How many gov't organizations, or private ones for that matter, would have been willing to have financed this ?

Now that I have expended the time, money, personal ability and sacrifice, the Archaeologists and different gov't departments try to bury me in red tape so that I no longer have any rights ? Only 'they' have any rights to my find.

The historical data that I unearthed during the search is possibly of far more value than the mine itself, but do you think that I will pass that on to them under these conditions? Is this lack of forward thinking conductive to future finds ?

Don Jose de La Mancha

maxjax

Jan 12, 2009
Oregon coast
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt, Garret 1350
Real de Tayopa said:
Jef: unfortunately the US people; have been sufficiently indoctrinated to not to question the intelligent intent of any bureaucracy act or law. They just accept.

The 50 year clause is patently ridiculous in so far as Archaeological value goes, since we have many people that were mature at that period and can fully answer any questions that might arise, plus tons of books since the 1800's.

The 50 year clause means that I cannot go back to many of my old camp sites and use them again since some of my old cans may still be intact. Yes, now I bury them, even if most didn't then.

Basically what it actually amounts to, is job security for the mass of budding Archaeologists that have overwhelmed the job market for their skills.

An example is by the use of my favorite hero, ME, as swr loves to say. I have found a lost, dim, legend, the Mines of Tayopa. They were lost in the 1630s'. The search took over 50 years. How many gov't organizations, or private ones for that matter, would have been willing to have financed this ?

Now that I have expended the time, money, personal ability and sacrifice, the Archaeologists and different gov't departments try to bury me in red tape so that I no longer have any rights ? Only 'they' have any rights to my find.

The historical data that I unearthed during the search is possibly of far more value than the mine itself, but do you think that I will pass that on to them under these conditions? Is this lack of forward thinking conductive to future finds ?

Don Jose de La Mancha

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. :thumbsup:

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Real de Tayopa said:

Don Jose de La Mancha

Hola mi amigo Don Jose!

If ANYONE gets it; you sir, do.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
maxjax said:
lostcauses said:
plehbah good catch.

I wounder if just saying possibly 10 years in jail and an ungodly fine, confiscation of all vehicles used to transport and any other equipment; Not counting the legal fees involved if caught: for such would get the point across.

Personally I believe all post like this should stay. It has a logged IP and if the feds need such, well there it is.
Maybe lock em and move them to a form just for such saving.
That would be good for this site to be useful to the feds law enforcement.
The date on the original post is Posted on: Jul 12, 2009.
The site could already be looted and this post could be the key to finding the person who did it.

Just some thoughts on such behavior.

Wow, you people scare me... with out asking one question, you have condemned a fellow MD to 10 years, so much for mentoring or debate, lets just capture his IP so we can report him to the FEDs, he wasn't grave robbing, he was curious about a trash dump.

I see now why this state is closed tight.

Quaker Oats, the Archeology societies find of a century.

and those are my thoughts on this subject.

Yep- pretty scary seeing as how the guy was just curious as to what those red markers were more than anything. And here we have fellow detectorists ready to condemn and go so far as to suggest these things! Reminds me of a particular time in German history when kids were encouraged to turn in their parents and many did.

Thx Plehbah for showing your true colors... :icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread