Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
In general, all parks in Oregon are open to metal detecting except for state parks. Private parks, such as Blue Lake, may have a no metal detecting policy, so check with the park manager before searching. If not sure, ask someone at the Multnomah County Parks Department: they should be able to tell you.

Many local parks are associated with schools in Portland. It is a good idea to announce your presence at the school before hunting during school hours.

You will need permission to hunt any private property in the state.

Any other questions?

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you decide to cross the river to Vancouver WA Stay away from the fort Vancouver park area from the Interstate bridge past the restaurants about a mile an a half down towards the 205 bridge and up to the back side of officers row!!!! Signs posted every where there!!!! not Worth the fines and everything else being taken from you!!!!
everywhere else seems to be OK!!!! so far!!!! Just stay away from my gold park!!!!! LMAO!!!! Joking if i see you there i will Say hi and Chat you up!!!! Chug

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
If you decide to cross the river to Vancouver WA Stay away from the fort Vancouver park area from the Interstate bridge past the restaurants about a mile an a half down towards the 205 bridge and up to the back side of officers row!!!! Signs posted every where there!!!! not Worth the fines and everything else being taken from you!!!!
everywhere else seems to be OK!!!! so far!!!! Just stay away from my gold park!!!!! LMAO!!!! Joking if i see you there i will Say hi and Chat you up!!!! Chug

What was the name of your gold park again? :) I didn't know one was within the law to hunt a school during school hours. I had always avoided them when in session. I am gonna metal detect a Portland city park this week, then. Hopefully I will find a silver coin....

Thanks for your advice

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just told it is now illegal to hunt PDX city parks. NOW I am confused. Please help

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
dbsmokey said:
I was just told it is now illegal to hunt PDX city parks. NOW I am confused. Please help
Was it from someone in the Portland Parks Department? If not, how would they know?

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
dbsmokey said:
Was it from someone in the Portland Parks Department? If not, how would they know?

No, it was just a friend who thought he heard it. I didn't want to believe it, and now doubt it, but it kinda scared me.

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dbsmokey said:
Tuberale said:
dbsmokey said:

No, it was just a friend who thought he heard it. I didn't want to believe it, and now doubt it, but it kinda scared me.

What about digging tools? What about the parking strips downtown or elsewhere? Are they open game for metal detecting?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I've hunted Londsdale and Chapman Squares, as well as several of the SW Park Blocks. Never had any problems. Not many parking strip areas now in downtown Portland since the city installed paid tags instead of parking meters, and increased the fines on parking.

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
I've hunted Londsdale and Chapman Squares, as well as several of the SW Park Blocks. Never had any problems. Not many parking strip areas now in downtown Portland since the city installed paid tags instead of parking meters, and increased the fines on parking.
Are there any restrictions on digging tools in PDX? Has anybody detected Clackamas county (Oregon City, Clackamas, Gladstone)? Any regs to be aware of there?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
dbsmokey said:
Tuberale said:
Are there any restrictions on digging tools in PDX? Has anybody detected Clackamas county (Oregon City, Clackamas, Gladstone)? Any regs to be aware of there?
Bet way to KNOW is to ASK the people involved. Mostly I use a screwdriver, as some parks (Blue Lake, for example) were put off-limits after someone used a shovel to recover buried cans there.

Other than Oregon City has truffles, a meteorite and an old mint, don't know much about the place. Haven't hunted any yards there. But probably should considering its history.

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuberale said:
Bet way to KNOW is to ASK the people involved. Mostly I use a screwdriver, as some parks (Blue Lake, for example) were put off-limits after someone used a shovel to recover buried cans there.

Other than Oregon City has truffles, a meteorite and an old mint, don't know much about the place. Haven't hunted any yards there. But probably should considering its history.

Who are the "people involved"? I have found asking the various agencies, that no one really knows the answer. When I applied for a metal detecting permit in Eugene, OR, the woman in the city office asked if she were supposed to supply my metal detector. I was able to maintain composure, but WOW...how laughable!!

Thanks!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
dbsmokey said:
Tuberale said:

Who are the "people involved"? I have found asking the various agencies, that no one really knows the answer. When I applied for a metal detecting permit in Eugene, OR, the woman in the city office asked if she were supposed to supply my metal detector. I was able to maintain composure, but WOW...how laughable!!

Thanks!
LMAO!!!

Then again, maybe they would give you the detector there.<g>

If hunting parks, check with the Clackamas County Parks for questions on metal detecting. Oregon has many metal detecting companies located here, and some of them go to bat for detector users. Shouldn't be too many problems. Just stay away from using a shovel or backhoe to dig the bottle caps and pull-tabs up with.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't forget about all of the swimming areas!!!! especially along the rivers, lakes and ponds!!! They can be a gold mine!!!! Got most of my gold and silver there!!!! hit the sandy areas and if close buy the grass areas where the laid out there towels to worship the sun!!!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wont regret it just modified the post!!!! I have only seen 1 other person detecting there!!! and he was in the water never touched the other areas!!!

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chug and Red said:
I wont regret it just modified the post!!!! I have only seen 1 other person detecting there!!! and he was in the water never touched the other areas!!!

Darn I missed it before you edited it...lol. Thanks for the advice!

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anybody know about metal detecting parking strips in Portland? I would like to hit some older neighborhoods, but don't want to break any ordinances. Thanks.

OP
OP
dbsmokey

dbsmokey

Jan 12, 2004
Oregon
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dbsmokey said:
Does anybody know about metal detecting parking strips in Portland? I would like to hit some older neighborhoods, but don't want to break any ordinances. Thanks.
bump

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread