Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

May 2006

Re: TOO many leads

Hi Jeffro,
    Got your EM.
    I also have some info you will be interested in.
    Later
    Peg Leg

Mar 2003
    granger,wa.

jeff - i just sent you an e mail telling you of our trip (kind of lengthy) if you don't get it , i will send it to you again on this forum. wayne
    i don't know whether or not i ever had a password for this net address. i did have a number to enter messages to this net. wayne

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    85 times

Cool- Hope you had a good time, I'll check it out now-

Unfortunately it didn't come through on e-mail-

Mar 2003
    granger,wa.

jeffro - did you ever get my email to you or get the post on this net about my trip to some of the places that you suggested? wayne
    i don't know whether or not i ever had a password for this net address. i did have a number to enter messages to this net. wayne

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    85 times

Yeah, I got your PM and replied... no e-mail though. Sorry to hear you didn't get into some good stuff, but it sounded like you had a good trip anyways... remember when I replied I offered to go down with you next time?

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    85 times

I just got a PM asking about how I got these leads, thought I would post my reply here for all to see- pretty good info for research ideas-

Well, the bulk of them I got lucky on- heres the story....

Back in the 60's a hippy couple traveled all around the state of Oregon checking out all the neat sites they could lay their hands on. Along the way, they did research and made careful notes. These notes and specific sites, they eventually turned into a map and tried to market it. They made 1000 copies and sold them at flea markets, etc. Most wound up in the trash eventually. I found an old copy in pretty good shape, but it was stained and faded. I finally got a hold of the guy who purchased the rights to the map, planning to make copies and market them which he never got around to, and as luck would have it, he had about 10 of the originals left in his garage, all brand new!

I have traveled to enough of these sites to know that the info is very accurate as far as location goes. Dead on. I've driven right to indian caves that you will not read about anywhere!

Most other leads I get from a local bookstore that buys and resells books from the public. I look for older books pertaining to my area. You would not believe the amount of information that gets left out of new maps and books! I think most of it comes from the idea of preserving these old sites, they don't want the general public to know about. When it comes to books and maps, the older, the better!

Mar 2003
    granger,wa.

hi jeff - thanks for the comeback again. your maps sound interesting but i'll bet that i'm older than all of them ! if i get down that way again i will certainly remember your offer and try to work it out with you at that time. thanks again. wayne

us
    Sep 2006
    Washington and Oregon
    Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
    1 times

Man am I ever glad I decided to explore this site today. I am interested in ANY areas to either metal detect or prospect for gold and other treasures in Oregon!! I live in the greater Seattle area but I sit here today in Seaside Oregon, at my womans house, nursing busted ribs from falling backwards over a log while MDing the beach here. I have done a bit of prospecting on the Umpqua, the Illinois, Rogue, Cow creek, and coyote creek. I would love to find some places to MD for the heck of it. There IS gold in these rivers. I wonder what other treasures are out there waiting for me to find! I would appreciate ANY INFORMATION from anyone!

Thanks a lot,
    ~Nashoba~

Lovin' this site more by the day!
    Whatever it is, it is valuable. If nothing else for the lesson learned or simply the experience of having been there.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    85 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nashoba
    Man am I ever glad I decided to explore this site today. I am interested in ANY areas to either metal detect or prospect for gold and other treasures in Oregon!! I live in the greater Seattle area but I sit here today in Seaside Oregon, at my womans house, nursing busted ribs from falling backwards over a log while MDing the beach here. I have done a bit of prospecting on the Umpqua, the Illinois, Rogue, Cow creek, and coyote creek. I would love to find some places to MD for the heck of it. There IS gold in these rivers. I wonder what other treasures are out there waiting for me to find! I would appreciate ANY INFORMATION from anyone!

Thanks a lot,
    ~Nashoba~

Lovin' this site more by the day!
    There was a Necotat indian camp on the former mouth of Neuauwa (sp?) Ck. and Necanicum R., probably under the current townsite. Onion Peak, to the south and a little inland, was a favorite hunting grounds for the indian tribes of the Seaside area.
    A little south of you, in Smuggler's cove, intact whiskey bottles still being found from prohibition wreck.

N. of Smuggler's cove, at Cape Falcon, there are numerous small beaches that you can access from the north at extreme low tide. With all the shipwrecks in this vicinity, they may be worth checking out. These are seldom visited, for obvious reasons! Dangerous. Wait until you're in better shape.

us
    Sep 2006
    Washington and Oregon
    1 times

There was a Necotat indian camp on the former mouth of Neuauwa (sp?) Ck. and Necanicum R., probably under the current townsite. Onion Peak, to the south and a little inland, was a favorite hunting grounds for the indian tribes of the Seaside area.
    A little south of you, in Smuggler's cove, intact whiskey bottles still being found from prohibition wreck.

N. of Smuggler's cove, at Cape Falcon, there are numerous small beaches that you can access from the north at extreme low tide. With all the shipwrecks in this vicinity, they may be worth checking out. These are seldom visited, for obvious reasons! Dangerous. Wait until you're in better shape.
    Well thanks a bunch for the input! I have actually thought about those small beaches around smugglers cove and wondered...My guess is that it is the wrong time of year....Then again, if the tides get REAL low........grins.

Now you have me curious about Onion Peak. Lord knows what happens when I get curious!!!

I'll take anything else ya have to offer as well. I love old stories and the mysteries surrounding hidden or lost treasures!

Thanks a million,

~Nashoba~
    Whatever it is, it is valuable. If nothing else for the lesson learned or simply the experience of having been there.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    85 times

You got mail, I'll send a pic seperately-

us
    Sep 2006
    Washington and Oregon
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro
    You got mail, I'll send a pic seperately-
    Mail recieved and returned. Thanks a million!
    There really are some great people on this site!

Nashoba

Who the Hell are all these People????

Oct 2006
    Albany,Or.

Jeffro ,
    Long time no see after you left Toms site , kinda did the same, life changes , marriages ,deaths - all of those thing's . Really respected your insight on the other site. Had at one time planned to get together with about 6 years ago to hit the Calapooia and try to get a group to show the newbies
    and others how to go get the gold . But as luck and former employer would have it (Weyerhauser) could not get it to happen! Maybe in the future we can sit down and chew the fat, got some sites also that I will share . If you want to email nuggetts4me@msn.com , The left wing is healing now and just waiting to get started again searching for the yellow stuff!
    Later
    A Country Boy Will Survive

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    85 times

OK, leave me guessing....

Heheheh! Email on the way...

JG

Nov 2006
    1 times

Hey there Jeffro,
    Jim here in the NW. I see you have read Binsford & Mort. I guess you have read the Ruby books, I have three myself.They sure published some good stuff. Am interested in history of the NW part of the state and am wondering if you have some info on the stage routes to Astoria from Portland? I have a map with the military road on it. Have any hunting trails for up here? The local Hysterical society has their knikkers in a bind and are not of much help. Do some TH'ng now and then, mostly coins but am always looking for HH the 9,999! Trying to get better historical maps. Listen to the trees fall in the woods-some storm out there today! Better get the chainsaw gassed up just in case. The deer are in the apples again!
    Later,
    Jim

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Sponsors