Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
    76 times

Re: TOO many leads

Most of the trails on my map are of Indian origin. The game trails and trade routes run from Astoria to Tillamook and from Portland to Tillamook. When they went from Astoria to Portland, it was generally by water. I assume the whites did as much, too.

Look up a book by Ralph Friedman, "In Search of Western Oregon". Its close to 800 pages of notes on every old road in western Oregon. Any of Mr. Friedman's books are invaluable to me.

The most historical route from Astoria to Portland generally follows US 30 and the section in this book is 17 pages long with notes on history every few miles.

Who the Hell are all these People????

Oct 2006
    Albany,Or.

Hey Jeff sorry about not getting back and will do so at my real email ad.
    Like I said about death and marriages etc. well it happened again ! Cousin got hit bout 4 weeks ago with stage 4 cancer . Passed on the 6th.

Other than that things are just wonderful , has it been bad down in lane county
    with all stormin and such? How bad you think Brice and Sharps have been hit?

Got a buddy up here who has about a 160 acres of claims in that area! Kinda thinking some big Boulders have been moving .

So did you ever do that fish study , back about 5-7 years ago?

Any info on the Mohawk area ? You know all the same can't really say here things but just getting back at it!

Later
    Jack
    A Country Boy Will Survive

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    76 times

Quote Originally Posted by nugets4me
    Hey Jeff sorry about not getting back and will do so at my real email ad.
    Like I said about death and marriages etc. well it happened again ! Cousin got hit bout 4 weeks ago with stage 4 cancer . Passed on the 6th.
    Ouch- I'm sorry to hear that....

Other than that things are just wonderful , has it been bad down in lane county
    with all stormin and such? How bad you think Brice and Sharps have been hit?

Got a buddy up here who has about a 160 acres of claims in that area! Kinda thinking some big Boulders have been moving .
    Brice has been cleaned thoroughly, except for the hardpack on the sides where you can find it. Pulled some nice chunky nuggies out of there a time or two. AND what I thought was my first gold coin! Turns out it wasn't, but it sure made my heart skip a beat!

Sharps to me isn't worth it. 200 colors a pan and all of them together would fit on the head of a pin. Great for hardrock, bad for dredging.

Champion creek has been producing nicely in the last couple of years-

So did you ever do that fish study , back about 5-7 years ago?
    That was for the Lampreys in the S. Umpqua, and I turned it down. Figured the data might could be used against miners.... 'nuff said.

Any info on the Mohawk area ? You know all the same can't really say here things but just getting back at it!

Later
    Jack
    Hmmmm... Mohawk area- I'll do some diggin around and see what I can come up with Jack. Course you got Mabel and Wendling right there, and an old camp up Shotgun creek, but those are pretty well known.
    Banded agate, jasper and petrified wood on the Calapooia below Holley, of course.

On the McKenzie, just above where Camp creek comes in, many artifacts have been found near Mack valley on the edge of the plain. And at Camp Creek and the McKenzie there was an encampment back in the mid 1800s.

Who the Hell are all these People????

Oct 2006
    Albany,Or.

Jeff have you recieved the photos of the boulders yet? Have you ever found any of that Holly Blue ? Got a few sites that some old friends might turn us on to! Just have to go under the guise of hunting with rifles or such!

One of these days will have to meet up and do some prospecting, maybe put on a little dredging adventure for the unknowing newbee's in the area that have not been baptized yet!

Got rid of the dredges a ways back , just sluicing, panning nowadays. Kinda had to get the house in order ya know. But will get a new dredge in a year or so plus a new Harley if the arm holds out . So in a nut shell I'm ready to get back out and start doing what I had to let go of , just have the got kick the old backside into gear after this winter.

Well hope you enjoy the photo's and if you feel like posting go ahead!

Later Jack
    A Country Boy Will Survive

Dec 2005
    La center,WA

jeffro
    I live in la center WA.a few miles north of portland any good leads close to home would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to meet you if your ever in my neck of the woods.

May 2006
    Oregon
    Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
    3 times

Jeffro, great stuff on S. Oregon! I'd like to try those tailing piles on Coyote Creek! I'm from that area, and was actually just down on Wolf Creek a couple weeks ago. I love Southern Oregon, but live just north of you on 99 E. these days.

I'm a novice with my detector, but pretty decent with pan, sluice, etc. I've got my dredge permit, but no wetsuit, so none of that until warmer weather. Anyway, I'd be into getting out sometime. I'm always up for a bit of prospecting, but I'd also love to learn a bit more about using this detector of mine.

Take care.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    76 times

Hey there all-

Jack, I think I sent you an e-mail on this one, but I can't be sure... For some reason if you attach a pic my e-mail won't let me open it.... if you imbed in the text of the email, it comes right up. I dunno why...

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    76 times

Eathan- That place on Coyote creek near Golden is called "Miller's Gulch". I like it, it looks promising, but I haven't found much there myself. I did see a three pennyweight nugget that came from there though. According to my source, they ran an especially fine screen in their bucketline, as there was gangs of fines, but not much big stuff. A lot of the the big stuff passed right through. There's a dinky little trickle of water running through there in the summer, I guess you could call it a creek, but I suspect the time to do anything serious down there would be in the fall and spring, when the water's really running. Of course, a detector's good all year round.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    76 times

Saleen-

There is gangs of stuff near Portland, give me a day or two to get it somewhat organized (I'm working weekends) and I'll pass a few of the more promising ones off.

Dec 2005
    La center,WA

thanks jeffro

May 2006
    Oregon
    Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
    3 times

Jeffro, thanks much! I'll have to check it out next time I'm down that way.

us
    Sep 2006
    Washington and Oregon
    Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro
    Eathan- That place on Coyote creek near Golden is called "Miller's Gulch". I like it, it looks promising, but I haven't found much there myself. I did see a three pennyweight nugget that came from there though. According to my source, they ran an especially fine screen in their bucketline, as there was gangs of fines, but not much big stuff. A lot of the the big stuff passed right through. There's a dinky little trickle of water running through there in the summer, I guess you could call it a creek, but I suspect the time to do anything serious down there would be in the fall and spring, when the water's really running. Of course, a detector's good all year round.
    I can say from experience it is not a place to run a sluice in the heat of the summer...There ARE some promising looking areas up there though. I'm thinking come Spring we should all get together and check her out and sample a few spots. I am definitely not scared of doing my share of digging. I know of a couple of cracks there too that simple HAVE to have some gold carried in by winter water!

~Nashoba~
    Whatever it is, it is valuable. If nothing else for the lesson learned or simply the experience of having been there.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    76 times

Saleen- Ok here's a few good spots to check out

Corbelt warm springs- about 15 miles east of Portland in the NE 1/4, sec. 27, T 1N, R 4E

I've done pretty good around hot springs with a metal detector, especially if they've been known about for quite some time. Check the surrounding areas where people may have changed clothes for rings and coins.

There was a portage area for immigrants from Bonnevile dam to the cascade locks. From what I understand it was a pretty sad story for those who had made it almost all the way here on the Oregon trail. Whatever they had left was pretty much stolen from them by unscrupulous persons controlling the area. May be a good area for artifacts.

Scarborough cache- I dunno about this one, kinda sketchy, but I'll give you the info I have on it and you can decide for yourself....

Southeast of Chinook, WA is a place called Scarborough Hill, named for Capt James Scarborough who took a 640 acre donation land claim there. He amassed quite a fortune, mostly in gold, exporting fish to the English. Died suddenly ( like most in these stories, LOL) and his cache has never been recovered.
    "Fort Columbia cache" Oregon Journal, Feb. 14th 1932, sec. 5 p. 6
    Lucile McDonald, "Washington's yesterdays" Binford's and Mort pub. Portland, OR 1953, pp.40-41
    Letters of John McLoughlin, Oregon historical society, 1948, p 323.
    Hult, Ruby El- Lost mines and treasures of the Pacific NW, 1954, "Scarborough Cache" pp 144-146

This one is definately true but I have no idea if its been recovered-The Johnson gold cache near Ilwaco on Baker's bay- Long story but well documented by those who were present, several eyewitnesses. I'll just give the references- 20,000 in gold slugs wrecked off the bar and salvaged by Capt. Johnson.

"Naming and early settlement of Ilwaco" Oregon historical quarterly, vol 47, (June 1946) p 181.
    The Oregonian, March 30, 1936, p16. Item about Charles Bradt's discovery of a $5 gold piece on Johnson's claim.
    L.R. Williams, "Our pacific county" Raymond, WA Herald 1930

For the full stories of both, see Ruby Hult's Lost mines and treasures of the Pacific NW, and the follow up, Treasure hunting NW. I see them both in the used bookstores every now and again. She was an excellent researcher and lists her sources, most of which concerning these two stories I have put down above.

The ghost town of New Era is just a couple miles south of Oregon City, on Market road off 99E. Several buildings and a mill should still be standing.

There are several fossil areas in Columbia county, OR just south and west of St.Helens. Mostly shells.

Agates are found a couple miles up Clear Creek, Columbia county, as well.

us
    Dec 2005
    Eugene, Oregon
    76 times

Quote Originally Posted by Nashoba
    I'm thinking come Spring we should all get together and check her out and sample a few spots. I am definitely not scared of doing my share of digging. I know of a couple of cracks there too that simple HAVE to have some gold carried in by winter water!

~Nashoba~

Not a bad idea, Gypsy suggested this to me awhile back as well. I've had quite a bit of stuff holding me back from getting out there this year, but hopefully by spring we'll be able to travel. I'd be up for it!

Dec 2005
    La center,WA

thanks jeffro
    funny you should mention lost mines and treasures of the pacific NW,I just purchased it a couple of days ago and it should be here any day,

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsors