TOO many leads

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Jeffro said:
I'm in, of course. I'll line up some sites according to what everybody has an interest in, if ya want.

You know I am in.....and I am interested in finding anything from relics to gold!
It is very nice of you to put together some info! My email is [email protected] for those f you who want to contact me there if this box is full.
~Nash~~

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Jeffro,
I LIVED IN THE TOWN OF BANDON FOR MOST OF MY YOUTH, HAVE YOU TRIED THE AREAS BETWEEN BANDON AND NORTH BEND/COOS BAY, HEARD TALES FROM AN OLD SALT YEARS AGO ABOUT A TREASURE CAVE/STASH SOMEWHERE BETWEEN THOSE TWO POINTS ALONG THE COAST, AND ANOTHER ONE CLOSER TO CAPE ARAGO STATE PARK.

WE USED TO GO TO THE BEACH AT 7 DEVILS RD TO LOOK FOR AGATES, REPORTEDLY THERE ARE GOLD COINS STASHED NEAR THAT AREA AS WELL, COURSE ITS PROBABLY ALL CONDOS NOW, HAVEN'T BEEN BACK THERE IN OVER 20 YRS

N

NonFactor

Hi all,

Since folks seem to be coming out of the woodwork, I'll throw my intro out there: Chris from Portland!

Don't have a detector (yet), but did some recreational panning with the family this summer down in the Quartzville cooridor. Got skunked, but we all had fun and are looking forward to more treasure hunting this year.

I'm looking for potential panning sites closer to home. Does anyone know if any of streams/rivers in the Tillamook/Trask areas that may have potential? Jeffro - anything good around there?

I would be also interested in a spring outing if one gets organized.

Chris

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Calworks said:
Jeffro,
I LIVED IN THE TOWN OF BANDON FOR MOST OF MY YOUTH, HAVE YOU TRIED THE AREAS BETWEEN BANDON AND NORTH BEND/COOS BAY, HEARD TALES FROM AN OLD SALT YEARS AGO ABOUT A TREASURE CAVE/STASH SOMEWHERE BETWEEN THOSE TWO POINTS ALONG THE COAST, AND ANOTHER ONE CLOSER TO CAPE ARAGO STATE PARK.

WE USED TO GO TO THE BEACH AT 7 DEVILS RD TO LOOK FOR AGATES, REPORTEDLY THERE ARE GOLD COINS STASHED NEAR THAT AREA AS WELL, COURSE ITS PROBABLY ALL CONDOS NOW, HAVEN'T BEEN BACK THERE IN OVER 20 YRS

Yeah, I've been down there, but not much. Looked around the old site of Randolph, and did some beachcombing. I dunno how much stock to put into the story of the cache of placer gold near there, but I had fun anyways. There are a couple shipwrecks just off the bar that wash nuggets and coins up on the beaches after storms, but ya pretty much have to live there to know when to look. Very interesting area with lots of history, I'd like to do some more poking around down there!

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
NonFactor said:
Hi all,

Since folks seem to be coming out of the woodwork, I'll throw my intro out there: Chris from Portland!

Don't have a detector (yet), but did some recreational panning with the family this summer down in the Quartzville cooridor. Got skunked, but we all had fun and are looking forward to more treasure hunting this year.

I'm looking for potential panning sites closer to home. Does anyone know if any of streams/rivers in the Tillamook/Trask areas that may have potential? Jeffro - anything good around there?

I would be also interested in a spring outing if one gets organized.

Chris

You could probably find a little gold here and there in the area, but I doubt if it'd be worth your time. That is pretty much true of anything north of Bohemia on the west side of Oregon. I've done OK up at Quartzville a time or two, but mostly came up with little to nothing on most of the trips. Just recently there was a pistol that predates Lewis and Clark found up there in the hardpan.

Southern Oregon and easten Oregon are where you'll find the decent stuff. A long drive to be sure, but wouldn't you wanna be where the good stuff is at? I'll dig up some info on the Tillamook area for ya, but I wouldn't expect it to be much but a learning experience. It's all good though, sometimes just getting out is what its all about! :)

OK, here's a couple to check out. Nothing in Tillamook county verified, but there is one just a little south, its on the west side of Salem. Gold creek is in Polk county, it flows into the south Yamhill River a little west of Willmina. Oregon Geographic Names has no source for the origin of its naming, so it could be named after anything.....

The closest gold coutry to you is the North Santiam district in Marion county. Eight different hardrock mines, only one with any reported production. Gold creek, (a different one) flows into the North Santiam river just south of the Clackamas/Marion county line. Several veins are mapped out that the creek cuts through. Also, a couple more veins intersect Henline creek, a little downstream from Gold Creek on the N. Santiam. Gold values reported from .03 OPT (ounces per ton)to .22 OPT, silver values from .68 OPT to 2.76 OPT.

I'd suggest a good topo map of the area to see if there's any public land available to check out, and look into BLM's LR2000 online to find out any claim status in the area. Look for markers, too. :)

nugets4me

Greenie
Oct 8, 2006
Albany,Or.
Hey Jeffro,
welcome to the new year! Hear tell about the old out houses around Mohawk lumber mills , the Swede's and such would bury the pay around those , any truth?

Any thoughts on diamonds here in our state? just adding to the hunger old friend for the newbies! hope your year goes good!

Later Jack

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
nugets4me said:
Hey Jeffro,
welcome to the new year! Hear tell about the old out houses around Mohawk lumber mills , the Swede's and such would bury the pay around those , any truth?

Any thoughts on diamonds here in our state? just adding to the hunger old friend for the newbies! hope your year goes good!

Later Jack

Happy New Year Jack!

I know several people who have worked up around Mable and Wendling area, no caches reported but old coins surface from time to time. The ground has been turned a time or two, so stuff is pretty much scattered. Lots of relics, though.

I heard a rumor a 3/4 carat diamond came out of Sharp's creek about 10 years ago or so. Never saw it myself though, you know how these things are.....

Diamonds, gem quality garnets, and platinum- while rare, are all found in the Illinois river drainage in S. Oregon.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
nugets4me said:
Ok what about Blue Holly? ANd the Sunstone? The Quartz at Quartz Hill up from Holly on the Calipooia

Most of the well known sites around Holley have been dug out pretty hard for the Holly blue. Haven't been to Quartz Hill, myself, crystals aren't my thing. I may have something on it, though. I'll look into it.

I've got a whole buttertub full of sunstones from Plush, in Southern Oregon, as you well know heheheh! Biggest one I had cut a couple years ago for my Mom as a Mother's day present, turned out real nice. For those who haven't been there, there's a few pay to play areas just outside of Plush, to the north and east I believe. Just past those areas is some BLM land where it free to dig. Sunstones are plentiful here, so only bring home the best ones you can find. Look for different colors of stones, and toss back those with cracks in them. These here are a few which I rough tumbled. You can see why picking out those with cracks is important! LOL! ;)

Weren't you in on that dig Jack? I can't remember....

Attachments

• sunstones.jpg
    sunstones.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,541

cmeskim

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2006
eugene
Detector(s) used
whites gmt goldmaster dd
In reguards to the quartz rocks. I broke them down. one was solid metal inside, but not gold, yellow- brass color, which i feel is pyrite, the other was full of silver color metal, but a deeper and darker color, might be another form of pyrite, or maybe platinum? well there was quite alot of it. It be nice to find a quartz rock full of gold. I will have to pay more attention to hot rocks.
phil

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
cmeskim said:
In reguards to the quartz rocks. I broke them down. one was solid metal inside, but not gold, yellow- brass color, which i feel is pyrite, the other was full of silver color metal, but a deeper and darker color, might be another form of pyrite, or maybe platinum? well there was quite alot of it. It be nice to find a quartz rock full of gold. I will have to pay more attention to hot rocks.
phil
Hi Phil, i just moved back to Lakeview and am wondering about places around here to check out. Do you know of any around this area? I am new to this site so if i am posting wrong, i am sorry. My email is [email protected]. Thanks

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Jeffro said:
nugets4me said:
Ok what about Blue Holly? ANd the Sunstone? The Quartz at Quartz Hill up from Holly on the Calipooia

Most of the well known sites around Holley have been dug out pretty hard for the Holly blue. Haven't been to Quartz Hill, myself, crystals aren't my thing. I may have something on it, though. I'll look into it.

I've got a whole buttertub full of sunstones from Plush, in Southern Oregon, as you well know heheheh! Biggest one I had cut a couple years ago for my Mom as a Mother's day present, turned out real nice. For those who haven't been there, there's a few pay to play areas just outside of Plush, to the north and east I believe. Just past those areas is some BLM land where it free to dig. Sunstones are plentiful here, so only bring home the best ones you can find. Look for different colors of stones, and toss back those with cracks in them. These here are a few which I rough tumbled. You can see why picking out those with cracks is important! LOL! ;)

Weren't you in on that dig Jack? I can't remember....
Jeffro, i just joined the site and have been reading posts and noticed that you have done alot of treasure hunting all throughout Oregon. I moved back to Lakeview after about 18 years away and would like to start doing some treasure hunting around here. What do you know about this area? Is there some sites that i can check out once the snow melts? I would really appreciate any info you might have on this area. Thanks Jeffro.
Mike

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
cmeskim said:
phil

Just remember as a rule of thumb....metal bends and pyrite breaks....I certainly mean no offense by this, but you may be suprised how many people don't get it. Hopefully we can get together sometime this spring and tear up some ground.
~Nash~

cmeskim

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2006
eugene
Detector(s) used
whites gmt goldmaster dd
Thanks. It did what you said. I did not know this about pyrite.
phil

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
bigmike said:
Jeffro, i just joined the site and have been reading posts and noticed that you have done alot of treasure hunting all throughout Oregon. I moved back to Lakeview after about 18 years away and would like to start doing some treasure hunting around here. What do you know about this area? Is there some sites that i can check out once the snow melts? I would really appreciate any info you might have on this area. Thanks Jeffro.
Mike

Wellllll...... Yeah, there's a couple good one's around you. Plush, where the sunstones are is just Northeast of you, near Hart lake I believe.

And doggone it if there ain't scads more minerals around you.....hmmm...

Lots of agate 4 miles south of Lakeview and 1 mile east, on foot.
More agate 5 miles south, just east of the road.
Thundereggs along the Hwy. and lower slope of Crane Mountain.
There's a reported Indian campsite near the ice caves and obsidian quarry, about 3 miles south of town.
And the Warner lakes valley is one of the largest artifact grounds in the west....
There are significant deposits of copper, uranium, and mercury just west and a little north of you, near Cougar peak.

I'd recommend a stop by your local historical society or natural history museum, if there's one around. I can only give you general info, but there's lots to look for, for sure, around your neck of the woods! ;D

bigmike

Jan 5, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
fisher 1266xb
Primary Interest:
Jeffro said:
bigmike said:
Mike

Wellllll...... Yeah, there's a couple good one's around you. Plush, where the sunstones are is just Northeast of you, near Hart lake I believe.

And doggone it if there ain't scads more minerals around you.....hmmm...

Lots of agate 4 miles south of Lakeview and 1 mile east, on foot.
More agate 5 miles south, just east of the road.
Thundereggs along the Hwy. and lower slope of Crane Mountain.
There's a reported Indian campsite near the ice caves and obsidian quarry, about 3 miles south of town.
And the Warner lakes valley is one of the largest artifact grounds in the west....
There are significant deposits of copper, uranium, and mercury just west and a little north of you, near Cougar peak.

I'd recommend a stop by your local historical society or natural history museum, if there's one around. I can only give you general info, but there's lots to look for, for sure, around your neck of the woods! ;D
Thanks for the info jeffro. That gives me a good starting point. I appreciate the input and will keep you posted on how it goes!

Mike

Z

Zuber

Hey Everyone, Just Found this Site and I am Impressed. I am looking for info on finding old sites to Dig. Old Privy Pits. Mostly would like to Hunt for old Glass. Bottles & Mason Jars. Any good Resources for Maps. Anything would Help. Thanks in Advance

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Oh yeah.... what you're looking for is Sanborn maps. Shows every property in a township, starting back in the mid 1800's. Each site can be so detailed as to show where the privys were, the sheds, any other buildings, even trash pits, sometimes.

Try Lewis at this site- http://www.oldusmaps.com/

Smaller cities he sometimes doesn't have. But there is a list to choose from.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread