Area 8 miles west of Pendelton

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I'd like to head up to Pendelton Oregon and do some recreational gold panning. Nothing using machines or pumps. I'm strictly an amatuer prospector. All i've got is a backpack sluice and a pan. The area i've heard about is supposed to be about 8 miles west of Pendelton where a creek or small river runs under the interstate. I don't know whether that area is BLM (public land), private land or whether it belongs to a private or GPAA claim. Anyone who can provide some local information (especially about access or restrictions) would be a great help. Thanks.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out www.iowagold.com
then scroll down to "finding gold by state',it's on the left side of the page.

elkman13

Aug 24, 2003
The ground west of Pendleton is private. The only thing golden there would be wheat fields.. If your looking for gold to pan you need to be going 120 miles south , then north east . For a swath 60 miles to Baker. Find a place called Ritter of Hwy395. A gravel road to the East for a short cut. Then to Austin ,Sumpter, Granite. It will be National Forest most of the way. Most have claims that are working around Sumpter.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
You also might try checking a place called Umatilla Landing along the Columbia River. It was the de-embarkation point for people coming upstream from the Willamette Valley to get to the gold fields in John Day, Sumpter, etc. Supposed to have beeb the 2nd largest city (actually a tent town) for a year.

RHG

Greenie
Jan 30, 2014
Round Up City Oregon
Detector(s) used
F19 F44 Treasure Pro GMT Tesoro Cibola Whites Coinmaster GT White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they still have Umatilla landing days there once a year.

RHG

Greenie
Jan 30, 2014
Round Up City Oregon
Detector(s) used
F19 F44 Treasure Pro GMT Tesoro Cibola Whites Coinmaster GT White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"... In September 25, 1861, the area east of the mouth of the Umatilla River was surveyed by Timothy W. Davenport and became known on the General Land Office Map as Umatilla Landing. The only structure reported to be present at the time was the Umatilla Warehouse. On August 2, 1862, Jesse Lurchin applied for preemption of 120 acres above the mouth of the Umatilla River to establish a town site. On May 28, 1863 the first Post Office was established and Z.F. Moody was assigned as the first Postmaster. The original city plat of Umatilla was filed on June 6, 1863. In 1864, a license was granted to F.P. Foster and D.A. Clifford to operated the first ferry across the Columbia River from Umatilla. In June 1864, Umatilla became the County Seat of Umatilla County. Umatilla was incorporated on October 24, 1864; on December 18, 1865 the incorporation was repealed. Then in 1906, Umatilla was reincorporated. In 1867, the ANN and the LEWISTON steamships were built at Umatilla. In 1868 the County Seat was moved from Umatilla to Pendleton. ..."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread