Oregon trip

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Boy I hear ya, kiddo, taking care of my mother too. Isn't it fun being a grownup? We get to what ever we want, at least that's what our kids think! We havn't had snow like this in years and the first time I am actually looking forward to an early spring, guess what..............

tootles
Lisa & Jack
GP Ore

Nashoba said:
Dang! I am sitting here looking at the snow about 100 feet above sea level. I am not too sure I will be able to make this one. Not only might I freeze my patootie off in a tent, the Mrs. to be needs to be taken to the doctor in about an hour. I finally slept from 4:30 this morning until 6. :P She hurt her back and basically cannot move without help , so I may end up babysitting her AND my mother.
It isn't often I ask for prayers but..................I MIGHT NEED THEM!
I will keep you all posted as I was SO looking forward to comng down and may still be able to. The cold really would not bother me in the least, as I always set up winter elk camp in the snow, but family has to come first.

Everyone have a good day.
~Nash~
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

T

TreasureTales

Nashoba said:
Dang! I am sitting here looking at the snow about 100 feet above sea level. I am not too sure I will be able to make this one. Not only might I freeze my patootie off in a tent, the Mrs. to be needs to be taken to the doctor in about an hour. I finally slept from 4:30 this morning until 6. :P She hurt her back and basically cannot move without help , so I may end up babysitting her AND my mother.
I will keep you all posted as I was SO looking forward to comng down and may still be able to. The cold really would not bother me in the least, as I always set up winter elk camp in the snow, but family has to come first.

~Nash~

Hey I know what you're going through and I know you'll do what is best for your loved ones. Sometimes sacrificing fun for family ain't a day at the beach (or the river, in this case. lol), but you are doing the right thing. I'll say a couple prayers for you and hope you'll be able to make the trip.

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Nashoba said:

~Nash~

Sorry about the Mrs and Mom, although I do hope you're able to come!

Well, the snow that went through Grants pass made its way up here last night, although it was pretty selective. I didn't see any this morning, not even frost on my windshield, but I heard a school bus got stuck in it on the other side of town.

Right now, it's snowing harder than I've seen in quite a few years. Its been in the 40's and 50's for the last few weeks, I had no idea other areas were getting hit recently, shows you how much I keep on top of the weather, LOL!

Well, you know what they say, if you don't like the weather here just wait 15 minutes....

The weekend of the outing I am calling for at least 60 degrees and sunny, with all the snow melted and the rivers down a bit! ;)

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Jeffro said:
Nashoba said:

~Nash~

Sorry about the Mrs and Mom, although I do hope you're able to come!

Well, the snow that went through Grants pass made its way up here last night, although it was pretty selective. I didn't see any this morning, not even frost on my windshield, but I heard a school bus got stuck in it on the other side of town.

Right now, it's snowing harder than I've seen in quite a few years. Its been in the 40's and 50's for the last few weeks, I had no idea other areas were getting hit recently, shows you how much I keep on top of the weather, LOL!

Well, you know what they say, if you don't like the weather here just wait 15 minutes....

The weekend of the outing I am calling for at least 60 degrees and sunny, with all the snow melted and the rivers down a bit! ;)

And I am calling a transmission shop :'(
Man what a week THIS has been.
If I don't hit the lottery tonight I simply MUST hit that paystreak or find a cache soon. Maybe I will call a psychic and go run wild on Nehakanie Mountain in hope of finding lost treasure there. It sure isn't far. For that matter if I DO win the lottery I would probably just fund some treasure hunting adventure!
Shakin' head in disgust at weather and situations beyond control.

~Nash~

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Its beautiful here right now, just cleared up. I'm guessing 60 and very sunny. Beauty!

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Jeffro said:
Its beautiful here right now, just cleared up. I'm guessing 60 and very sunny. Beauty!

Yep! It cleared up here for a couple of days as well and I was a metal detecting fool. Emphasis on the fool part. I think I dug about $25 in clad and literally a couple of hundred holes. I literally detected for 17 1/2 hours in two days :P :P I DID get a few wheats dating back to 1920, and a 1964 Kennedy half. Not a GREAT find , but it IS my first BIG silver coin...

Of course the dentist office called and said they could get me in a month early, so I went and ended up having oral surgery, but I'll live. lol. Never have been much of a fan of dentists.

I did also get to the tranny shop and fixing my vehicle is going to run me a major tab. Right around a grand! UGH! :'( Unfortunately the money I was going to use to come down there for the trip will be going to my rig. I hate to poop the party but this chunk o' change was that proverbial straw on the camels back....me being the camel and it isn't my back that's broke...IT'S ME!

Happy hunting to you all and thank you so very much for the prayers. My gal is doing much better and so is my mom.

Ciao for now

~Nash~

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ouch! Sorry to hear that Nash- I know you were gung ho from the get go. Ah well, I'm sure we'll be down there a couple more times this year, I'm PM ya for a head's up on the next trip.

Glad to hear your Mom and the Mrs. are doing better! :)

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Here are a few local pictures. Guess I should have gotten a few sites from you Jeffro because anything, and I mean anything, along Grave Creek is posted Mine Claim and No Treaspassing. We did find an abandoned dredge hose across the creek so gold has been found in the past. Also found a 9mm shell casing with the MXT.
It was 67º and sunny. The creek is running high and fast. Here are a few pictures. Would you give me more of an idea of where we will be panning Jeffro? We would like to check them out, too.
BTW check out the sign for the rapids that is posted in Almeda park. The basic call 911 for emergency. Only one problem: No Cell Service! Go figure. :)
tootles
Lisa & Jack in Grants Pass

Attachments

• Grave Creek.jpg
    Grave Creek.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 850
  • Almeda park.jpg
    Almeda park.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 817
  • camp area.jpg
    camp area.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 801
  • Mining Claim Sign.JPG
    Mining Claim Sign.JPG
    16.7 KB · Views: 796
OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Thats the spot, and the first 1/4 mile is open, claim signs or no. Someone always posts that area, for some reason, LOL! The Rogue is clasified as wild and scenic, and all tribs are open for 1/4 mile upstream, its the boundary; can't be claimed. One of my claims was just upstream from there about 1/2 mile. The area for panning is underwater at the moment. Mostly flakes aplenty, but a few pickers here and there.

More than likely, I know the fellah who posted that sign, LOL! And he knows better. Just keeps the tourists away.

Chinese camp was just above my claim and on the other side of the creek. You can see the rows of cobbles if you look carefully.

The pic with the two vehicles in it, you can walk down to the beachy area on the left of the pic when the water's a little lower. It should come down soon. If not, there's plenty of other places around that area. Good place to set up base camp, eh?

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Good, I was hoping that was the case. Didn't wan't to get shot at. It it wonderful over there. The day was perfect even if there isn't anything to pan it would make a wonderful day just to sit by the water. BTW do you still have your claim? I'll have to pick your brain on how to find and file one. The info on the BLM website is so legal-eze I want to take my college diploma and use it as fire-starter!

tootles
Lisa & Jack in GP

Attachments

• raging creek.jpg
    raging creek.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 774

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Looking at those pics makes me want to get there SO bad. I will STILL try and find a way to make it work. I have been to the spot where that sign is posted and Jeffro is right. Someone always posts the mouths of those tribs but they cannot be claimed. As for the 9mm casing, it may have been mine. I had a pretty ornery cat thinking I was going to be a meal thereabouts at one point in time. YES, there are big cats in that area and one needs to be aware. They are ususally not agressive but big cats get wierd and that attack instinct takes over every now and again even on something as large as a human. If you have kids or take kids into that area keep them nearby and keep one eye on the woods especially where there is brush ABOVE you...
Sure hoping I can still make it.........
~Nash~

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Well Nash the casing was about 3" down so maybe it was you. Do you want it back? ;D.

Hope things work out that you can come.

tootles
Lisa & Jack in GP

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Leeame said:
Well Nash the casing was about 3" down so maybe it was you. Do you want it back? ;D.

Hope things work out that you can come.

tootles
Lisa & Jack in GP

NAW You all can keep her. LOL. I am hoping to make it but with the rig in the shop with an unknown dollar amount to fix it, I am beginning to think it unlikely.
GRRRRRRRRRRRR
~Nash~

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
There's some pics in my Mugshot of my old claim on Graves creek, beautiful country down there! Also thanks for the reminder Nash, I gotta check the fluids in my rig before something happens.... Hope you can pull it out for the trip, if not, there's always another time so don't sweat it TOO much. :)

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Jeffro said:
There's some pics in my Mugshot of my old claim on Graves creek, beautiful country down there! Also thanks for the reminder Nash, I gotta check the fluids in my rig before something happens.... Hope you can pull it out for the trip, if not, there's always another time so don't sweat it TOO much. :)

Well I won't sweat it out TOO much , but I was sure looking forward to a little ME time. I need that for a few days every year. You know, just get away from the mainstream everyday stuff for a few days IN A ROW. That's why I like coming down that way. There are some wonderful, secluded spots that just sort of take a guy back to the day. My idea of actually living in a Big city would be Myrtle creek. LMAO
I should get the full estimate today on my rig and that will be the deciding factor on whether or not I can make this one. I wasn't too happy about the last estimate so she is going in to another shop today.
I'll shoot you a line when I find out.
~Nash~

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
At this point it doesn't look like I'll be able to make it either. Between trying to finish our remodel, run a business and raise a six month old, time just seems to evaporate...

Still a chance I'll make it, but if I don't show, have a great trip and best of luck to all!

Leeame

Feb 8, 2007
Grants Pass OR
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Well typical Grants Pass weather..... Next week is Spring Break, Next week is the expidition with you all, & Next week it is suposed to rain.

Welcome to Oregon! If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes ;D.

Jeffro are we still on?

tootles
Lisa & Jack in GP

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
You bet, we are heading out on Wednesday to set up camp. We'll stay through Saturday. I'm looking forward to checking out a few spots that I really had no clue as to how much history there was, until I started researching it heavily; spots I had walked right on by.... But back then I was more interested in dredging, which by the way, ain't too bad down there.

Cross your fingers and hope for a cache or two! ;D

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
Jeffro,

I recently found Southern Oregon University's History collection online. They have tons of old documents, letters, diaries, survey reports, etc in .PDF format, a lot of them dating back to the 1800s. Use the search function.

Seems like there's bound to be a gem in there somewhere.

Happy hunting!

OP
OP
Jeffro

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
eathan said:
Jeffro,

I recently found Southern Oregon University's History collection online. They have tons of old documents, letters, diaries, survey reports, etc in .PDF format, a lot of them dating back to the 1800s. Use the search function.

Seems like there's bound to be a gem in there somewhere.

Happy hunting!

Thank you very much!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions