Archaeologist Needed in Southern Oregon

Shorty954

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am looking for a Archaeologist to work with us this summer. To track down an old cave I stumbled into more than 10 years ago. I cannot go into the drawing and items found about 400 feet underground. Lets just say if we can find the cave again it could be the biggest discovery in American history. Predates Indian, Mayan, and Aztecan.
If your not troubled with being labeled for doing a "Treasure Hunt" I've already been turned down three times.
This is no joke, I have two books on Gold Mining and Lost Treasure Legends in Southern Oregon. More than 260 lost treasure stories I compiled over 30 years of talking with the Old timers in nursing homes and in the hospitals all over the state.
I have a database of 11470 Mines and Quarries in the State with GPS, Names, Host Rock and what was mined or quarried. It is the largest database in the state. So this in nothing new to me.
Please contact me as soon as possible we are gearing up to start the Expedition in June 2015.
Thank You
Shorty

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Call a college anthropology dept. and ask them. Worse you'll probably get is a grad student...

hardscapes

Greenie
Jun 27, 2013
I live in S.Oregon, my family has a 400+ acre claims. I have found a couple caves, that the local old timers weren't even aware of.i would LOVE to help you, in anyway possible.. I don't have any credentials,except for being a treasure hunter all my life. Thank you

OP
OP
S

Shorty954

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You, I checked with them and they want nothing to do with a TV show called Treasure Hunters. They think it makes them look like they are only after the items in the cave not the hunt for it. So back to the drawing board.

OP
OP
S

Shorty954

Jan 27, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You, What part of Southern Oregon are you in? We will be working about 30 miles out of Tiller and 3 to 6 miles from the South Umpqua Falls.

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm from the Southern Oregon also, I've hunted (for animals) the Tiller area for almost 18 years. If your up in that area you should be aware that there was a large fire near South Umpqua Falls last year which I'm sure you are aware can cause dangerous situations with trees and rocks. If your up in that area this summer and need anything let me know. I'll ask a couple professors I know if they know anyone interested in anything such as this but I was a geography major not an archaeology major.

I'm interested in knowing more as I've written a few papers on the subject. When you say "predates" are you talking about pre-clovis era type stuff? What leads you to believe it is that old? Also is there any indication of why something like this would be located where it was? Typically many of the pre-clovis sites were located along the coast at locations now underwater after the ice continued to melt so finding one at near South Umpqua Falls is interesting.

Also is your database on mines public at all? I haven't read your 2nd book but I enjoyed the other one. I've seen some of the data in your book but am always looking for more research material.

Thanks,

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Shorty, I'm having a little trouble understanding your O.P.: Are you saying you've FOUND a cave, and are now wanting someone to explore /document it with you ? Praytell what was in there, that is so astounding that predates indians, etc... Are you talking tools of mankind? Metal good/items? What ? How would you know if some stone tool "predates" indians anyhow ?

Or is this just a quest to search for a legend or lead, to a cave you have not-yet-actually been to or discovered ?

Sorry to have my doubts, but when you then tell of all your work in "treasure legends", it ...... sorry to say ..... cast aspursions on the quest. Because 99.999% of all such legends are just that: fanciful campfire ghost stories. Sorry. If I had a dime for each "sure fired bullet proof " lost mine or stagecoach robbery, I'd be rich already. So when someone tells me they're into that stuff, and then launches into a fabulous story of a "cave that will change the history of the USA", ....... sorry, but ......... it's already in doubt.

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know if Shorty actually has looked at this post in a while. I'm still interested, he's on facebook and has responded before when I contacted him so I might try and contact him to see what he's working on here.

Badbaja

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a Archie but I wouldn't mind searching the areas with you guys. I am down that way a few times a year. Hardscapes let me know if your interested. I have a extra detector. Maybe even hire a plane to check out some areas.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread