Chimacum87

May 27, 2012
From WA now missing Scotland
Detector(s) used
Deus lite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi

Was wondering if anyone knew where to metal detect around the crater lake area. Im going down there in june and was hoping to maybe detect for some gold or at least look for some coins or something. Cant find much research online for detecting in that area so thats why I figured I would ask. Thanks

oregonmp03

Oct 13, 2014
Aberdeen, WA
Detector(s) used
Fishers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I did several papers on the area when I was in college. The problem with that area specifically if your looking for gold is that it's a **** ton of magma and ash. In some places Mt. Mazama dropped 24 feet of ash, in others just a few inches, just a few 7000-8000 years ago. So don't expect much up in that area for gold. I would focus any detecting you do on coins but you'd have to focus on trails in the area. The local trails down the North Umpqua might produce some finds but unfortunately you coming over in June.....after the hardest winter we've had in 37 years. Basically there's going to be a **** ton of show that high up still. Crater Lake gets 44 FEET on average a year. In coos bay we got snow at sea level 3 separate times this winter which is unheard of so at 6,200 feet you can figure there will still probably be snow up there in most places at that time. Sorry...enjoy the scenery though it's very nice up there.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chimacum87, I think Crater Lake is a National Park, and detecting may not be, shall we say "smiled upon", this one, you will need to be sure of. If I can find anything about it, I'll re post, unless someone else knows for sure. ------Just in case, Tom from CA, not a scare post, just trying to keep a guy visiting from Scotland out of trouble, I'd like to detect Crater Lake myself.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chimacum87, I think Crater Lake is a National Park, and detecting may not be, shall we say "smiled upon", this one, you will need to be sure of. If I can find anything about it, I'll re post, unless someone else knows for sure. ------Just in case, Tom from CA, not a scare post, just trying to keep a guy visiting from Scotland out of trouble, I'd like to detect Crater Lake myself.

Not only is frowned upon, it is illegal. No metal detecting allowed inside National Parks.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with OregonViking. He lives over around Brookings. There are some streams that are gold bearing, also the Rogue River.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions