Panning in the northern coast Range

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Getting a Garrett ACE 250 Real Soon
O.K. So I was walking down this stream during bowhunting season this year (Near Timber off of hwy.26), and my hunting buddy and I were talking about getting into panning durring the off season. I have heard stories of large mines in this area that the Indians used to use for trading. But I have also heard that the streams in the coast range are barren of gold.

Has anybody prospected these areas?
let me know if you have any info.
Thanks

Andy

Nitro 54

Mar 12, 2005
Myrtle Creek, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX - W/ DX-1 ,, GMT gold getter
The only way to know for sure is to go and do some sampling. As a log hauler, I get to go to a lot of different places that are noted for gold. I carry a couple of coffee cans with me and take home some samples when I find a good looking spot. Some samples have good gold in them and some don't have enough to bother going back. Sampling different spots is the only way to know.

OP
OP
mil-hunter

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Thanks. I'll probably go out there this next weekend and give it a try. It will be my first panning trip :)

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
My wife and I just bought a place near Astoria along the coast. We have been working on it for about 6-7 weeks getting it cleaned, painted and installing new carpet/vinyl.

Driving down from Portland on Hyw 26 I seen a ton of little creeks, streams and rivers that sure look like they should hold some gold. I know not all mountain contain gold but the areas around Portland do seem to hold some gold. Just seeing a name like Quarts creek give you a chill thinking of what gold could be in it.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
If I knew of any up that way, I'd sure let ya know.... but unfortunately, I don't. There are areas all over with scattered production reports, isolated pockets. But a better idea to get into some good gold is to go to the known gold producing areas. Closest spot I know of to you is just north of Green Peter reservoir, near Sweethome.

9 miles of Quartzville creek is open to panning, sluicing and dredging. It holds good gold in the right spots. :)

OP
OP
mil-hunter

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Thanks. I still haven't gotten out there since bow season is over, but I might go and take a few samples this weekend.

OP
OP
mil-hunter

mil-hunter

Nov 17, 2005
Beaverton, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Well, I finally made it out to my hunting grounds this Sunday, and boy it was chilly in the morning. I took my pan wit me and did a little sampling. I found plenty of heavy black sand, but I didn't find anything sparkely. The black sand is promising, and, since this was my absolute first time using a pan I might have completely done something wrong. Oh well. I had a blast just being out in the woods. There was another benifit while I was out there. One of the old timers in my camp took me out to an OLD homestead site that was out there well off the beaten path. So the next time I go out there, if there is no snow on the ground, I will definately be taking a metal detector. who knows, mabey there will be some hidden gold LOL for me. Thanks for all the replys and help guys.
If I do find anything at the homestead mabey we could organize a little MD party out there. It is on public land so it is free and clear of red tape.

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
If you ended up with black sand you did it right. Gold is heavier than the blacksand. As for quartz creek I heard this year there are two claims on quartz creek and if some one put claims on it there must be some gold because the banks are almost straight up and down.
wheelerite
ps Good elk hunting along that drainage for miles in both directions.

DTDJR07

Tenderfoot
Jan 24, 2008
Yamhill County, Oregon
Detector(s) used
MineLab X-Terra70.....Garrett- Scorpion
For what it is worth, my family and I have spent quite a bit of time on the Nestucca (big Nestucca). We find bedrock in numerous places. Always end up with lots of black sand in the pan. I have made it as far down as Beaver-with only black sand :(. The reason I check this out is I have heard, on several occasions, that there are mines the Native Americans used between Hwy 18 (Vandouzer corridor) and north through the coastal range. You never know where gold is till you find it. I sure hope that once I receive and learn to use my new X-Terra 70, things may pan out (no pun intended) ;D.

Hey Jeffro, gonna send you a PM later about info on Grants Pass area.

DTDJR

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector
I know there's a lot of gold in Oregon, but the only place I looked for and found it was just north of Grant's pass. It was summer of '89' and I was headed to Alaska with my f 350 van with a 5 inch dredge...pulled off the interstate at the Riddle town exit...found a little creek called cow creek...stayed for a week and got 5 penny weight a day from one hole...Roseburg lumber land. Pretty gold...bright, flattish and all about the size of a grain of rice...
Happy Hunting....Fortunate

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread