Jump Starting this Thread

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It appears to me that Oregon has either suffered a significant decline in treasure hunting and metal detecting activity or folks have given up on this forum. I base my conclusions upon the great gap in post dates.

I'd very much like to change that. Oregon is a big state with lots of opportunity for exploration, detecting, and hopefully finding interesting things. One problem is that this can be a lonely activity for a beginner and The learning curve is somewhat steep at first. If you feel that way and are inclined to do something about it, by all means join in discussion. I don't want to be a whiner, but when you hit my age you begin to wonder what has happened to everyone else! I realize that life hasn't gotten any less complicated as of late, but isn't that what hobbies are all about to begin with?

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
It appears to me that Oregon has either suffered a significant decline in treasure hunting and metal detecting activity or folks have given up on this forum. I base my conclusions upon the great gap in post dates.

I'd very much like to change that. Oregon is a big state with lots of opportunity for exploration, detecting, and hopefully finding interesting things. One problem is that this can be a lonely activity for a beginner and The learning curve is somewhat steep at first. If you feel that way and are inclined to do something about it, by all means join in discussion. I don't want to be a whiner, but when you hit my age you begin to wonder what has happened to everyone else! I realize that life hasn't gotten any less complicated as of late, but isn't that what hobbies are all about to begin with?
I'm here, Trappe John. Just got back onto TreasureNet recently. Using a friend's computer, too. Let's see if there is anyone else?

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Hey folks! Not an Oregonian here but I thought I'd chime in.

I've been detecting since 2005 and made my profile here then. I detected on an off 2005-2010 and then was out of the hobby until two years ago.

I've been back at it seriously since then but the landscape around the hobby has changed significantly. The biggest thing that changed between 2010 to 2017 is the way people connect and collaborate. First of all, detecting YouTubers were by and large not a thing back then. Second, there are a lot of folks now who just use Instagram as their way of sharing content and connecting. More pics, less words and easier to use.

Just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in. Good luck down there!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Good to hear from you up north, washingtonian! I'm from Portland, that incestuous place down south.

OP
OP
T

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Washingtonian makes a good point. Things change. Technology "advances" and consumer preferences shift. Sometimes the change occurs faster than our willingness to pay the price to keep up.

I personally prefer the more reflective means of sharing information and ideas. I also enjoy the company of others in the field. Unfortunately we seem to be becoming even more self-centered , more cautious.

That's why I always check my breath and sniff my pits before I post!

OP
OP
T

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuberale, perhaps we can rekindle the communication from others on this site. Washingtonian is correct; people have grown used to less "clunky" means of contact. What it means to "communicate" is changing.

I hope that by posting more frequently we may at least identify folks in our state that detect. While experienced and more well-known mders find new ways to contact one another , newbies to the hobby may find themselves left to their own devices. That can be frustrating and unproductive.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close to Oregon up here in Yacolt WA - 45 min from PDX.
Holepuncher and I meet once in a while, but would enjoy meeting other detectorist in our area.

OP
OP
T

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's good to see folks replying to other posters from Oregon and Washington. I hope the interest continues to rise! Personally my detection time has been limited to assisting local folks looking for lost objects. Rockhounding, fossil hunting, and my wife's trip have pretty much eaten up the summer. Now that Labor Day has passed it may be time to think about hitting popular campsites and parks!

Out-Diggin

Jul 28, 2019
NW Ore
Detector(s) used
Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone ever do any prospecting at cape disappointment ??

OP
OP
T

Trapper John

Dec 29, 2014
St Helens, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out-Diggin, I associate Cape Disappointment with gold prospecting. If I am correct, my experience with fishing in several different states suggests that an uptick in prospectors might not be received with enthusiasm by the usual group of folks who frequent that locale.

This brings up an interesting question of etiquette and common sense. In the absence of a formal mining claim, what protocol is or should be used here? I'd be interested in your opinions!

Nevada Prospector

Aug 16, 2017
Southern Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher GB II, Etc, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Trapper, One thing I don't like about detecting in Oregon is the fact that blackberries are taking over. I have to carry a digger, detector and pruning shears.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread