Bohemia mining district

Luddite

Dec 7, 2007
Eugene, Oregon
Great site here, I found it while researching the Bohemia Mining district. The info in the "too many leads" thread was a great cache of information.

Has anyone here spent much time in the area? I know that Sharps, Champion and Brice creeks are all claimed up with the exception of a couple of small public areas. I am most interested in the area to the south around City and Horse Heaven creeks. I found a scan of a ca. 1900 map of the district and it shows around 100 valid claims in the area. Even if there is not any gold worth while there are probably lots of miscellaneous items that were lost or left behind.

Thought I'd say "HI".

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Sharp's is claimed from a certain point on up, but below that point is mostly Weyerhauser land and they don't mind you poking around if you ask first and don't start any fires or use gas engines- which means panning or sluicing only.

Brice has lots of good areas to go. Nice nuggies up there, too. But it's sparse- if you're not getting good gold, move on to a different spot.

Of course, Row river below Brice creek has gold, and even on down below Sharp's too. No claims down there either. Best to be friendly with the natives, they're a pretty tight knit bunch. My Dad was born and raised in Culp Creek.

The south side of Bohemia that drains into the north Umpqua is off limits, steelhead spawning.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I don't know if the mill is still there on the Champion, but there are a couple of mines still being actively worked. A good time to visit the area and meet the miners is during Bohemia Mining days July 17th-20th. http://www.bohemiaminingdays.org/events.html

They do breakfast on the mountain on Sunday.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
The BMOA (the folks who put on the above mentioned mining days event) has 5 or 6 claims in the area open to members. It's well worth the $20 a year if you plan on spending much time in the district.

SilverSalmon

Mar 6, 2007
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Cynangyl said:
Sounds like a good deal for sure!

No kidding, can't beat $20 a year. Are any of you guys part of the Willamette Valley Miners? I ran across a brochure and it's only $20 a year for you and your immediate family. Sounds like a pretty sweet deal too.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
WVM has claims up above Quartzville- would be worth the 20 bucks a year for the claim access. I've heard about them over the years, and possibly even met a few, but I wouldn't know much about the organization unfortunately.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
I don't know the Willamette Valley Miners folks, but I do like the Quartzville area. The public area still gives up decent gold, so private claims up there with less usage might be good.

indyflyer

Greenie
Aug 25, 2007
I joined the Willamette Valley Miners last year, they are big on suction dredging but have detectorists and high bankers in attendance. They have 10 claims around Oregon, one near Sumpter and some down near Glendale. We've visited several and they are easy access and are in gold country. They have outings several times a year, we went to the beach for black sand sluicing for small gold from the ocean. Meetings usually feature a guest speaker, often interesting topics, especially for a newby like me.

didijim

Dec 13, 2006
Lincoln City Oregon
Detector(s) used
garrett 500xta
HI, okay, I am new to the Eugene area. I did go to Quartzville last few weeks and it was beautiful, trying to get back up there again.

Can you tell me how to get in touch with the Willamette Valley Miners??? I would love to be part of a club that has places to go and meet others.

Sounds like alot of fun. Can't wait until next July for Bohemia Days.

Blessings to all

didijim :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread