All Treasure Hunting

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well heres a bit of "local" history for you -- the rogue river indain wars -- the ruins of the town called Galice is on the rogue river near hobson horn peak about 21 miles northwest of grants pass, in josephine county ,amoung the ruins of this gold mining town are the arsenal and powder house used in the rogue river indain wars --there are several abandoned mines in the nearby area. ---- good luck Ivan

OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Ivan. Sounds interesting--indian attacks, lost mines--all a person needs for a quest. I'll check into it and respond back--any searching by MD will be posted so we can all share.

Again, Thank you,
Stryker.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Galice has been my stomping grounds for many years. What kinds of questions do you have?

A good book on the history of the area is "First there was Twogood" By Larry McLane. Its a pictorial history of Northern Josephine county, some very interesting stories in there, including the Battle of Hungry Hill. My copy has been borrowed and not returned.

Most "battles" I have researched in Oregon were little more than skirmishes. Shots fired and run away, shots fired and run away. Consequently, there aren't many "sites" to go and check out.

Mining in the area was extensive and is still going on today. One of the largest placer mines in Oregon was directly above Galice (Literally 500 feet straight up the cliff) at Wes Pearen's Old Channel mine.

Galice creek has good gold, especially the south fork. Its claimed up pretty tight. The area has been worked continuously for over a hundred years.

OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gosh, I thought I would get more hits on this subject. I guess we settled Oregon without much hassels :)

Stryker

Oregonjohn

Greenie
Jan 16, 2009
Hey Stryker-One--sorry this is not too timely for your initial request....

Google Snake Indian War in Oregon (1864-1868) and the Bannock War (1878) in Oregon. Many battle sites out there...From Steens Mountain to the Columbia River to the NE Corner of Oregon...lots of skirmishes and some larger battles in the area. Lots to read about and then find those places. At Port Orford there is an island just off the beach called battle rock. Several White vs. Tribesmen incidents there. Up and down the Rogue River there are several historical locations where battles (fights) took place.
Good Huntin'
Oregonjohn

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
I read in "In Search of Western Oregon" that Astoria was originally a British fort/settlement and that some battles took place, but my copy is at home so can't look up the info.

One of my favorite places to poke around is the Southern Oregon Digital Archives (http://soda.sou.edu/history.html). I must've spent an hour there yesterday reading through oral histories. Hit search on the left and enter "battle", "skirmish" or some other relevent keyword and you should be able to find some good reading.

eathan

May 19, 2006
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V-SAT, ACE 250, Lobo SuperTRAQ
I popped over to the site I mentioned above and did a search for "battle". One of the titles was "Indian Wars of Southern Oregon". It's a written account of an address given in 1902 to a gathering of Indian war veterans. In it he mentions several battle sites, as well as who fought in them and so on. Interesting read...

OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been away from the site for awhile--thanks guys. I feel like the fisherman that lost his throw line location for some time and then found it.

Good info I'll check it out. I work on gas turbine powered helicopters (Skycranes). I am--next week on my way down to Ecuador for two months work in the jungle. Yeeee-haw!!!

Stryker

OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks, I am down in Puyo, Ecuador. As I mentioned earlier I work on turbine powered heavy lift capable Sikorsky Skycranes. The company I work for sent one down to Ecuador to haul loads of equipment out to an oil drilling rig. It is very interesting out here in the jungle.

Fortunately the camp where we all sleep and eat has internet so we can communicate with our families during our 30 day work cycle. I read all your research suggestions and checked out the fort/camp map site. There are a lot of leads for me to follow up on.

Thank you all and perhaps I can find some neat stuff to photo and post in the proper forum.

Stryker

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a book that you might find interesting.It has old maps with battle sites on them.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 2,130
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 2,029
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 2,017

Fish-Head Aric

Greenie
Sep 5, 2005
Chehalis, WA USA
Oregonjohn said:
...At Port Orford there is an island just off the beach called battle rock. Several White vs. Tribesmen incidents there. Up and down the Rogue River there are several historical locations where battles (fights) took place.
Good Huntin'
Oregonjohn

I know this thread is a bit dead, but for those who might have interest in accurate Port Orford, OR, information......

To be clear, the Battle Rock in question is not an island. It is firmly planted on the beach, and can be seen below in a photo I took last year.

Port Orford is a very interesting place with a lot of intriguing history, fascinating legend and lore... one of my favorite places in the world I know... :D

100_4976.jpg

Darshevo

Jun 16, 2010
Spokane, Wa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher CZ-6a
Hey Fish-Head Aric, is that rock off limits, or are you allowed to climb on it? What a great place to set up and watch the sunset

-Lance

OP
OP
stryker-one

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still checking back on this topic. Thanks for the info.
Stryker :hello2:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
May I suggest obtaining a copy of "Oregon's Historical Markers", by W.M. Scofield, c. 1966. The following historical marker can be found on Hwy. 101:

OREGON HISTORY
THE BATTLE OF PISTOL RIVER

SEVERE FIGHTING TOOK PLACE IN CURRY COUNTY DURING THE LAST ROGUE RIVER INDIAN WAR. IN MARCH, 1856 A COMPANY OF MINUTE MEN 34 STRONG UNDER COMMAND OF GEORGE H. ABBOTT WERE BESIEGED IN AN IMPROVISED FORTIFICATION OF LOGS BY A LARGE FORCE OF PISTOL RIVER AND ROGUE RIVER INDIANS.THE INDIANS CONTRARY TO THEIR USUAL CUSTOM REPEATEDLY CHARGED WITH DESPERATE COURAGE. THE SIEGE INVOLVING HAND TO HAND FIGHTING WAS CARRIED ON FOR SEVERAL DAYS UNTIL THE INDIANS WERE FINALLY DISPERSED BY REGULAR TROOPS UNDER CAPTAINS ORD AND JONES.

As you are also interested in any military actions in Oregon, I'd suggest also getting a copy of Lewis A. McArthur's "Oregon Geographic Names", which lists all forts, camps, and military posts throughout Oregon.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Tuberale said:
May I suggest obtaining a copy of "Oregon's Historical Markers", by W.M. Scofield, c. 1966. The following historical marker can be found on Hwy. 101:

OREGON HISTORY
THE BATTLE OF PISTOL RIVER

SEVERE FIGHTING TOOK PLACE IN CURRY COUNTY DURING THE LAST ROGUE RIVER INDIAN WAR. IN MARCH, 1856 A COMPANY OF MINUTE MEN 34 STRONG UNDER COMMAND OF GEORGE H. ABBOTT WERE BESIEGED IN AN IMPROVISED FORTIFICATION OF LOGS BY A LARGE FORCE OF PISTOL RIVER AND ROGUE RIVER INDIANS.THE INDIANS CONTRARY TO THEIR USUAL CUSTOM REPEATEDLY CHARGED WITH DESPERATE COURAGE. THE SIEGE INVOLVING HAND TO HAND FIGHTING WAS CARRIED ON FOR SEVERAL DAYS UNTIL THE INDIANS WERE FINALLY DISPERSED BY REGULAR TROOPS UNDER CAPTAINS ORD AND JONES.

As you are also interested in any military actions in Oregon, I'd suggest also getting a copy of Lewis A. McArthur's "Oregon Geographic Names", which lists all forts, camps, and military posts throughout Oregon.

Probably the longest "battle" ever fought in the state.....Ah, to live in the south.....

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize this thread is old but, the Modoc War was a very historically significant battle here in southern Oregon/northern California. The small band of Captain Jack's band, held off a record number of Army soldiers. There is a lot of GOOD reading on the subject.

Captain Jack's stronghold is a great place to visit. I've been going down in that area since I was a teenager (I'm 64 now). My wife of almost 46 years and our two sons, know the area well. Check it out!!:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread