The biggest producing gold mine in Oregon?

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT

Attachments

• Oregon\'s Richest Gold Mine.jpg
    Oregon\'s Richest Gold Mine.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 2,575
OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
In the 1850's rich placer Gold had been found in a creek by the town of Placer on Graves Creek.
Soon the area was developed into a large productive hydraulic mine, the Gold particles indicated a nearby source.
After 40 years of searching a 3' vein was discovered, a stamp mill was built in 1905 and ran till 1912 then, worked off and on till the 1990's.
The rock was hard greenstone rock, total production from it over the years was
175,000 ounces.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I'm pretty sure its not the biggest producer in Oregon, it could possibly be just SW Oregon. Baker county production far exceeds every other county in production.

From 1902- 1965 here are the top producing counties in order-

Baker- 1,258,979 ounces
Grant- 349,604 ounces
Josephine- 250,530 ounces
Jackson- 204,022 ounces
Lane- 34,624 ounces
Malheur- 31,827 ounces
All other- 56,192 ounces

I'd have to look up each individual mine to find out who the biggest producer was, which could take some time.

I know that Wolf Creek, Coyote Creek and Graves creek all have good gold in them, in spots.

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
Thanks Jeffro, for the information. I knew other places were good Gold producers, but couldn't find records.
While adding up the output totals from the counties, Oregon is a great proven place to prospect.
Needle :)

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
I have Bulletin 61- "Gold and Silver in Oregon" Very helpful in a lot of ways, but unfortunately you question was not one of them it was very helpful with, LOL!

A lot of it has to do with the fact that prior to 1935 or so, a lot of production reports were spotty at best.

OP
OP
Needle

Needle

Dec 24, 2007
Roseburg, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's-GMT
Poor records of Gold production prior to 1935 is true. There are records of claims in bulletin 75 -1972 Geology & Mineral Resources of Douglas Co., Oregon
One particular creek placer is estimated at more than a million dollars worth 1858 -1859.
The last fellow that owned the claims up there - I don't know his last name, I saw him sell a 5 oz. wafer of Gold for $1500.00 right beside the road leading up to his place. He let me look at a tall alka-seltzer bottle full of nuggets from his diggins, that's been 20 years ago at least. I remember saying to him while holding the nuggets, your not melting these down into those wafers are you? He just laughed and said, Hell no! Just the small stuff.

:) Needle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread